jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am thinking of buying a tablet I would like opinions on both Ipad and android (i have Iphone) .I do not want to spend a fortune .
What are your opinions from users of both?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am thinking of buying a tablet I would like opinions on both Ipad and android (i have Iphone) .I do not want to spend a fortune .

iPad for me every time, just because it's so easy to use. I hardly ever use my phone now except for making calls.

Others though prefer android. I had a go with a Kindle fire HD and that just didn't compare to the iPad in any way, but I am sure there are better examples.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Hi, being technically challenged it is I Pad for me also as they are so easy to use. There are deals to be had on some of the earlier versions and my first I Pad was a factory reconditioned I Pad 1, liked it so much upgraded and gave the original one to my sister.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Both have their place. Apple dictate what you can and cant use on iPads and iPhones, the equipment is generally well made and seems popular as it got in the market 1st. Expensive to buy

I use an Android device (another Nexus7) as I found the Android system gives a lot more freedom of use and there is a lot more choice of devices you can buy ie Tesco Hudl 2 on offer with vouchers at £65 instead of the normal £129. I was won over to Android a few years ago by the phones.
I had an iPhone that wouldnt hold onto calls or internet connection so changed

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
With some exceptions most people seem to get on with one or the other. If your iPhone never makes you swear at it, you're probably going to prefer an Apple tablet.

Android is better though...

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We have tried both, was very cautious about getting an iPad but needed it for work, we got the iPad Aire cellular, which takes nano card. Used it with 3 payg card throughout France, even watched some UK tv, worked well, also used it with 3 across the UK.

Back to the iPad, some slight issues with things like trying to add POI and Flash, but it's so easy to use, and the range of relevant apps are getting better all the time. Ps don't stint on the size 32mb min.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I prefer Android, my wife prefers Apple. We each have a phone and tablet with our preferred system! Android gives you much more freedom and options, whereas Apple is more regimented and easier to use. Apple is more expensive, But I am not convinced it is any better made than a high-end Android tablet.

In many respects Apple is technology for technophobes.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Android for me as well. iPad is over priced. I have not used an iPad for very long but I did not find it any easier to use than Android. If you want it to integrate with other devices this is much easier to do with Android unless of course all your other devices are also made by Apple.
ezee

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

This is a dangerous question to ask on here:eek:

The chances are that you will receive answers that are biased towards the users experience and preference which whilst being useful is not exactly independent or evidence based.

There are plenty of 'road tests' out there in cyberspace.......... read a few and check for yourself. HERE IS ONE

I think too many sweeping statements are often made about 'tablet' computers. Just stick to the basic rules you have known all your life.......... 'buy what you like' and 'you get what you pay for'

Me? I prefer Apple products based on ease of use, quality and unmatched customer support. As it happens my tablet is an Android based Asus......... it was cheap and I can not say that I enjoy using it......... so when I replace it with an Apple tablet I will of course ultimately paid even more.

Look at a few, play with them in the shops and buy the one you like. (if only it was that simple:unsure:)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Ipad for Elaine and I easy to use and idiot proof

image.jpg

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
'you get what you pay for'

I disagree.. often price is a contraindicator of quality / usability.

To be fair, I'm am Android user by preference so I won't compare Apple.. let's look at Samsung Android tablet vs Nexus 7

The nexus is about 1/2 the price but has a better screen, more responsive processor, is more reliable, uses standard chargers rather than expensive model specific ones, allows easy integration with other devices by usb etc etc

ignore price when choosing a tablet. (other than of course to set your budget) but then once you've chosen but the most expensive option you can afford on that tablet to get the most memory possible.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Had an Android tablet, but never again. It ended up in the bin in pieces.
My first and last foray away from Apple.
I have an iPad Air and it does exactly what I expect it to do, unlike the Android which just did as it liked.
It failed the "thrown at the wall in sheer frustration test"
At over £250, I expected better.

:cooler:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I disagree.. often price is a contraindicator of quality / usability.

To be fair, I'm am Android user by preference so I won't compare Apple.. let's look at Samsung Android tablet vs Nexus 7

The nexus is about 1/2 the price but has a better screen, more responsive processor, is more reliable, uses standard chargers rather than expensive model specific ones, allows easy integration with other devices by usb etc etc

ignore price when choosing a tablet. (other than of course to set your budget) but then once you've chosen but the most expensive option you can afford on that tablet to get the most memory possible.
Which samsung tablet?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I initially bought a Nexus but it failed after a week ( PC World did say they had experienced very few problems with them) I bought an iPad mini as I wanted something that fitted in a shoulder bag. My daughter had an original ipad that lasted easily for 6 years ( and my grandson using it from 18 months old) It only expired due to said grandson being sick on it !
iPads seem to be robust, easy to use. I've had mine a couple of years with no problems.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What I really like about Android is the ability to be able to expand its storage memory by the use of an SD card. So when you fill it with all those photos you can just buy some extra storage. With Apple you have to either go out and buy a new one or use a cloud based storage system which you can only use when you are connected to the web, and which can be very expensive when you have to pay for the amount of data you use.

My Asus tablet came complete with a detachable keyboard with an additional battery. I can now use it for working on word and excel documents as well as for powerpoint presentations. And I can sync it wirelessly with any type of file on my PC. And the keyboard has a standard USB port so I can plug in a 1TB portable hard disc if I want to. So I can use it as both tablet and laptop replacement machine. It therefore suits better me and my needs.

But I can quite understand that others will prefer Apple's sleek scented locked garden. Each to his own. And I do not agree that either choice amounts to bias, as has been suggested here.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I initially bought a Nexus but it failed after a week ( PC World did say they had experienced very few problems with them) I bought an iPad mini as I wanted something that fitted in a shoulder bag. My daughter had an original ipad that lasted easily for 6 years ( and my grandson using it from 18 months old) It only expired due to said grandson being sick on it !
iPads seem to be robust, easy to use. I've had mine a couple of years with no problems.
Always buy your Nexus products from Google via the play store. They have a VERY good reputation for replacing things without question and without waiting for you to send back the old one. One of the reasons why I bought a Nexus 5 phone a while back, which has been very good.

So far I have had 3 Android phones (2 by HTC and 1 Nexus) and 1 Android tablet (Asus). The only problem I have had with any of them was when I dropped one of my HTC phones (no case) onto concrete and the screen broke.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I thoroughly and heartily recommend all Apple Products...

They are very shiny.

They are very easy to use.

They are sensibly priced.

They are white so will match your motorhome.

When you use it in public people will know you are a man of means, with a mind of your own, who chooses products carefully without following brand fashionistas.

JJ :cool:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thoroughly and heartily recommend all Apple Products...

When you use it in public people will know you are a man of means, with a mind of your own, who chooses products carefully without following brand fashionistas.

I would say exactly the opposite if you buy apple you are probably a person who pays for a label rather then the product!!! I bought two ipads a while ago one stopped working after 8 months or so they wanted £25 to tell me how to get it working as it was a software issue and only 6 months software cover...don't know if its still the same.

David

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would say exactly the opposite if you buy apple you are probably a person who pays for a label rather then the product!!! I bought two ipads a while ago one stopped working after 8 months or so they wanted £25 to tell me how to get it working as it was a software issue and only 6 months software cover...don't know if its still the same.

David

Please note... my post is a JOKE.

(I would rather nail my thingy to a bit of 4x4 with a rusty nail than buy an Apple product...)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I treated myself to an Android a few weeks ago.... didn`t like it so went out a couple of days later and bought a "Surface"...

Brilliant... :xThumb:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I treated myself to an Android a few weeks ago.... didn`t like it so went out a couple of days later and bought a "Surface"...

Brilliant... :xThumb:

Now of they weren't so damned expensive I could be tempted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back