Awnings and truma heater / fridge vents (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Looking at getting awning / safari room for motorhome.

Question - The truma heater vent and the fridge vents are on the same side as the hab door and will be inside the awning. Do I need to worry about the carbon monoxide produced when running everything on gas? Is there sufficent ventilation due the design of the awnings?

Thanks

|Nigel

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Weve got the same 'problem'
Having been in front of the heater vent when its in full flow on a few occasions...I concluded it wouldnt be a good idea!!!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
There are enough gaps round the safari room or awning to blow any fumes away, so not a problem. What size safari foom are you looking for? We have decided to sell our 3.5m Omnistor if you are interested,
Cheers, Dave(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
There are enough gaps round the safari room or awning to blow any fumes away, so not a problem. What size safari foom are you looking for? We have decided to sell our 3.5m Omnistor if you are interested,
Cheers, Dave(n)

We have a 4m Omnistor canopy :(

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We have a 50-50 split opinion so far.

Would have thought this was a common issue. What do others think?

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Generally it is not a good idea to have an enclosed space into which a gas burning device is pushing its exhaust fumes, however low the rate of combustion may be.

In the wrong conditions of combustion it is possible to generate Carbon Monoxide from the appliance, which is a killer.

That's it really, I'd be happy with a fridge venting in there as it is a tiny flame, but once you start using it for a water heater or warm air heater exhaust I'd say it was dangerous.

Peter

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I did query this with Autotrail and they told me that as far as they were concerned there was always enough airflow around the safari room and it shouldn't be a problem.
I personally am not comfortable with that as there is still fumes being expelled into the area and could get into the van as well.never did get a straight answer from them

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
I did query this with Autotrail and they told me that as far as they were concerned there was always enough airflow around the safari room and it shouldn't be a problem.
I personally am not comfortable with that as there is still fumes being expelled into the area and could get into the van as well.never did get a straight answer from them

We have an autotrail and are awaiting a reply from them. Its been 8 days so far. Will update post when and if I get a reply.

As people will has assumed, I have concerns. What I can't understand is why they design the vehicles in this way in the first place. Do the actual designers ever actually use what the design or have they ever actually used a motorhome?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No I don't think they do and even when it's flagged by buyers they don't even come up with a safe answer,I did think about a flue extension but I don't think it would be possible on a balanced flue unless someone can tell us differently.:xThumb::groan:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are plenty of gaps with a safari room, they never fit flush and the air circulates quite well. Should be no problems.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If the price is right may consider extending front panel

Hi, Nigel&Debbie, sorry for delay in replying to your post, . The S/R has only been used a few times and is in excellent condition, it also has a set of curtains with it, Asking £150.00 for it FQS
If you are interested please let me know before I put it on ebay.
We are away until 11 Jan.
It is a genuine Omnistor.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back