OK that's it, I'm applying for Italian citizenship (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Well, when I found myself behind a Punto who was doing EXACTLY the speed limit (60 kph) on a hill with an unbroken white line (don't overtake), coming into a corner (seriously, don't overtake) and suddenly, there I was overtaking him, I realised that they've taken possession of my driving soul. I don't indicate any more. I'm still stopping at crossings to let old nonnas cross but God knows when that'll get dumped for the more Death Race 2000 approach. I need help. Jim - send MHF001 to Medevac me out of here to a retraining centre in Leafy Bucks. there's a landing strip near Catania that's long enough for the Learjet, I'll be on channel 17 awaiting the signal.
Arrividerci (see what I mean)
Ponyboy

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
The Italians do have a way with stealing your souls,i lost mine in early sixties.................................... Her name was........................... Sophia Loren...... Be still my beating heart........ LOL
Tea Bag aka Giggly... Oh !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I love the place too but why don't they fill the bloody potholes in..............I swear we hit the same hole last year that we hit near Venice in 2010 neatly taking out a tyre and doing the rim a substantial mischief....................or is that part of the mystery and majesty of La Bella Italia. (together with the covert speed trap cop hiding in the next pot hole along).

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Well, when I found myself behind a Punto who was doing EXACTLY the speed limit (60 kph) on a hill with an unbroken white line (don't overtake), coming into a corner (seriously, don't overtake) and suddenly, there I was overtaking him, I realised that they've taken possession of my driving soul. I don't indicate any more. I'm still stopping at crossings to let old nonnas cross but God knows when that'll get dumped for the more Death Race 2000 approach. I need help. Jim - send MHF001 to Medevac me out of here to a retraining centre in Leafy Bucks. there's a landing strip near Catania that's long enough for the Learjet, I'll be on channel 17 awaiting the signal.
Arrividerci (see what I mean)
Ponyboy

I know exactly what you mean mate, came through Palermo Tuesday evening about 19.30 and it was like brands hatch on steroids on the M25 on a mad Friday evening rush hour, everyone especially the scooter fighter pilots had not even 1 miili second to spare but I kept my cool just about and was nice to get out onto the main roads south to Punta Braccetta and collect my thoughts as such nice place to drive when roads are empty, but felt just like you a few times mate, Have a great holiday in the sun.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
I know exactly what you mean mate, came through Palermo Tuesday evening about 19.30 and it was like brands hatch on steroids on the M25 on a mad Friday evening rush hour, everyone especially the scooter fighter pilots had not even 1 miili second to spare but I kept my cool just about and was nice to get out onto the main roads south to Punta Braccetta and collect my thoughts as such nice place to drive when roads are empty, but felt just like you a few times mate, Have a great holiday in the sun.
Heading to Punta Bracetta myself, if I make it let's get together for a few celebratory beers
PB

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Coming back from Spain a few years ago meet some deeply tanned motorhomers returning from winter in Sicily. They went every winter, I think it's quiet and not as warm as Spain? 4-5 deg cooler on average from a quick look. Best way to get there I think is ferry from Genoa?

Would be interested in feedback....

Last edited:
OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
What's the weather like down their now ?

Camping Cappuccini told me it was 8 degrees on Garda mid week.

Camped close by Taormina (near Mt Etna) and not sure what the actual temp is but I'm sitting outside lapping up the rays. No one in long pants as far as the eye can see. Apparently the weather forecast is for more of the same. Mind you we have paid our dues on the way here, two brand new pairs of wellies in the boot to prove it ha ha

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Coming back from Spain a few years ago meet some deeply tanned motorhomers returning from winter in Sicily. They went every winter, I think it's quiet and not as warm as Spain? 4-5 deg cooler on average from a quick look. Best way to get there I think is ferry from Genoa?

Would be interested in feedback....
We took the ferry from Villa San Giovanni - it's the closest point to Messina and would have to be the most expensive ferry we've been on in a while. Twenty minutes for Fifty six euro, but hey they're just bits of paper we give each other and we're here now loving it. Anyone coming down at this time of year i'd recommend the Spartacus campsite at Pompeii (just opposite the entrance to the old city) and a great spot further down the coast at Diamante (Lido Troopical) 8 euro a night, a bit basic at this time of year but beautiful vistas over the sea. Last stop was Mimosa, which is ideal for the last hop to the ferry. Hope this helps

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Well as long as you can't drive for more than 10 metres in a straight line in Italy because either:
1. you are having an animated conversation on your mobile phone
2. you can't see past your bonnet
3. God is waiting for you in heaven
4. the pot holes are lined up waiting for you (except on the toll roads)

Then you are free to be an Italian driver (y):xsurprised:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Well, when I found myself behind a Punto who was doing EXACTLY the speed limit (60 kph) on a hill with an unbroken white line (don't overtake), coming into a corner (seriously, don't overtake) and suddenly, there I was overtaking him, I realised that they've taken possession of my driving soul...

When in Rome..

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Heading to Punta Bracetta myself, if I make it let's get together for a few celebratory beers
PB

Look forward to your arrival mate, sunshine and sea and warm weather, been sunbathing on beach today and done a coupe of walks of the beach in the surf getting me tootsies wet, been about 18d here today, and for all those interested, it rarely falls below 15d in daytime here and 10d at night, don't think they know what realy cold weather is here, warmer than Spain and Portugal I think most of the winter as it is on line with Tunis North Africa so warm most of the time, maybe a new winter destination for Funsters. I came down via Genoa/Palermo ferry, saves driving the 750mls in Italy and costs roughly the same, sightseeing to be done on way home maybe.

Reactions: BwB

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
What's the weather like down their now ?

Camping Cappuccini told me it was 8 degrees on Garda mid week.

18d today full on sunshine very nice, people even swimming in the sea????
tonight about 11d and this is roughly what the weather is like all winter long, never have frosts here and don't hink they have ever seen snow either but only guessing as to warm in winter.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
All the roads in Italy had their white lines and road markings painted when the road was first built. Since then not one brush stroke of new paint has been applied.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Well you are a bit further south than benchmark Benidorm and well away from the Atlantic gales.

And a bit close to Israel, Syria, Iran, Iraq, but you'll have packed your anti-radiation suits, won't you.

Of coarse mate they are in the locker,,,, I am on line with Tunis in Tunisia so that much further south and as you say nearer middle eastern country's and Malta only about 60 mls away I think, also lovely warm desert winds from North African coast seem to keep place warmer here?????? Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
18d today full on sunshine very nice, people even swimming in the sea????
tonight about 11d and this is roughly what the weather is like all winter long, never have frosts here and don't hink they have ever seen snow either but only guessing as to warm in winter.
Enjoy Mate,Regards AlfandM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back