Life span of external screens (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just as it says in the title
How long do you expect external screens to last?

Over the last 4 years we've had 2. The second a replacement for the first one.

We bought them from a local motohome accessory outlet.
Grey fabric on one side and silver on the other.
On both covers the grey side began to crack within a dozen or so times of using it. now on the the second one the silver has started delaminating.
Okay, it may have been on the front of the van for about 8 weeks in the summer and I put it on, silver side out, because the grey is split, about a week ago.
Given the price of these things I'd have thought they should have lasted a little longer.
What are other folks experiences with these screens?
Is it normal that they only last a couple of years or is it that the French supplier, Midland, are just rubbish?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My Silverscreens are 4 years old and are used all year round in summer to keep the van cool and in winter to keep condensation out and warmth in. Been used in the Alps for weeks on end at temps as low as minus 20 put away frozen and wet and are still as good as the day I bought them.
Oh forgot never a drop of condensation either.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have used Silverscreen products for over 20 years now and they NEVER wear out. My first screencover is still in use after three owners and lots of action.
Got a screencover given from another manufacturer but it wasn't very good and the fit was terrible. They may be expensive to start with but Silverscreen are the best for my money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My last Silver Screens were starting to wear after 9 years use by me. No idea how long the previous owner had had them though :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our old ones I sold to nemo, they are several years old, get used constantly and are as good today as they were when bought
The ones we use on the new van I bought from Dux', no idea how old they are but are perfect

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Silver screens seem to just go on year after year unchanged in appearance and very efficient.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
They should last longer than a couple of years, if you can find proof of purchase take them back.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Our Silver Screens are over 6 years old. Some indications of wear around the edges of the fitting flaps but I expect them to go on for many more years yet.

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
As,I thought, the Midland ones are rubbish
I'll have to try and get some from the UK

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I see German brand Hindermann for sale at a reasonable price, has anyone got any experience of them?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our Taylor Made external screens are now over nine years old, and still going strong, however they only get used between autumn and spring to keep the heat in, and prevent a build up of condensation internally.
We wouldn't be without them in winter.

Cheers,

Jock.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Bobby22, If Hinderman screen covers are anything like their bike covers they will not fit and will be badly made and if you ask them to look at them they go instantly deaf!
CCheers
Bernie

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Did you leave your screens on all the year or just when you occupied your motorhome?
Just when occupied during winter months.

Our internal concertina blinds come into their own for keeping the heat out during summer months.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The problem with Silver Screens(Cleckheaton ones) is that, like most things these days, they are not made like they used to be.

Silver Screens themselves fully admit and tell you this. They said it was some strange EU health and safety and the material had to be changed. They could not tell me when this was, just saying about 6 or 7 years ago. I had rang up to to complain that ours were perishing badly. We were full timing at that point and they were on every night during the winter.

Silver Screens said they are not suitable to be left on every night during a UK winter. They likened them to a winter coat, saying you wouldn't leave your coat out in the rain every day, the screens needs to be fetched in after rain to dry out, just like your coat.

The old screens, before the material was changed, were wonderful, much more robust.

I think its a load of rubbish about the health and safety aspect, they just found out a much cheaper way to produce them and make even more profit.

So don't chuck away your 9 or 10 year old ones and think that by buying new ones you are getting as good a product, you are not.

Paul.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Taylor Made external screens are now over nine years old, and still going strong, however they only get used between autumn and spring to keep the heat in, and prevent a build up of condensation internally.
We wouldn't be without them in winter.

Cheers,

Jock.
Similar experience here - though ours are only about 7 years old.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It sounds like the OP's screens are some thin/crappy ones and nothing like the Silver Screen or Taylor Made ones, we've had both SS and TM and they last ages and ages and ages!!!!!

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
It sounds like the OP's screens are some thin/crappy ones and nothing like the Silver Screen or Taylor Made ones, we've had both SS and TM and they last ages and ages and ages!!!!!
If they were thin and crappy they wouldn't have been as effective as the have been, it's just that the material seems substandard.
It seems that may be as CazPaul said companies are now using a cheaper material nowadays.

Silverscreens themselves now say that they shouldn't be used on a full time daily basis which seems to contradict what folks who have had their screens for many years and find they are still looking good and working well

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If they were thin and crappy they wouldn't have been as effective as the have been, it's just that the material seems substandard.
It seems that may be as CazPaul said companies are now using a cheaper material nowadays.

Silverscreens themselves now say that they shouldn't be used on a full time daily basis which seems to contradict what folks who have had their screens for many years and find they are still looking good and working well
I'm confused now ... you said they were made by French supplier Midland ...
Is it normal that they only last a couple of years or is it that the French supplier, Midland, are just rubbish?
so exactly what have you got?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I see German brand Hindermann for sale at a reasonable price, has anyone got any experience of them?

Yes, we got them from Vancomfort. Wish we'd stayed with Silverscreens, the Hindermanns are overpriced, more difficult to fit and do not provide the same level of insulation that our old SScreens did.:xeek:

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm confused now ... you said they were made by French supplier Midland ...

so exactly what have you got?

A bit aggressive aren't we?

Sorry, I should have made it clear that Silverscreens themselves have said that 'their' screens shouldn't be used on a full time basis.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Sorry, I should have made it clear that Silverscreens themselves have said that 'their' screens shouldn't be used on a full time basis.

Yes Scattycat, that's exactly what silver screens say themselves, I was thinking for a minute that people had not read my post until I saw your replies.

I,ll repeat it again. Silver screens are NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD as they used to be.

Who says so. SILVER SCREENS themselves. They fully admit and tell you this.

And me too, I wondered why they went mushy after a winter in northern uk, that's why I rang to complain.

Paul.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We use Taylor Made and have done summer and winter for the last 4 years, the colour seems to have gone dull but the thickness is still good.
The fit was good when we owned a Fiat which is what we bought them for but not so good on the transit but that's not their fault, it's ours for being tight and not getting the correctly fitting ones for our vehicle, we just manage with these.
I wish at the time I had bought silver screens as they seemed to be less bulky but we have managed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Not sure why you are accusing me of being aggressive! All I said is that I was confused and asked you to tell me what you had ... which I still don't know as you haven't confirmed WHAT they are!!! You've just mentioned Silver Screens not being as good as they were but you previously said you have some which were made by a French supplier/Midland or something ...

If you don't want o answer that's fine but please do not accuse me of being something I wasn't ...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes, we got them from Vancomfort. Wish we'd stayed with Silverscreens, the Hindermanns are overpriced, more difficult to fit and do not provide the same level of insulation that our old SScreens did.:xeek:
Oh Bertie I'm a bit worried now - we are booked in at VanComfort next week for ours - but only because the others don't supply for an Adria A class:(

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have a fiamma external screen ,not padded but effective. Its now 8 yrs old. I use it all through the winter months and when its hot in the summer,best buy other than my duvalays hat I have bought for my MH.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have a fiamma external screen ,not padded but effective. Its now 8 yrs old. I use it all through the winter months and when its hot in the summer,best buy other than my duvalays hat I have bought for my MH.
Wow ... they make hats for motorhomes now! That is seriously posh!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back