Scotland in early September. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Hopefully by April we will have our first motorhome and we are planning our 2015 holidays already.
We've been touring with a caravan for the last 12 years but never done much it Scotland and fancy it when we get our M/H.
I'm after advice regarding sites and wild camping places. We fancy taking a leisurely drive up the West side to the Isle of Skye and then back down the East side. We've got just over 2 weeks for our little trip.
Thanks in advance for all replies.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My initial reaction is you will not make it in 2 weeks unless you are planning a "drive through" touring holiday. To really enjoy your visit you need to stop and explore and relax and enjoy the scenery and the many places to visit.
I would suggest make your destination Kyle of Lochalsh and take a leisurely drive; should you have time you can venture on to Skye but to do Skye properly will take at least a week.

There are plenty of wild camping places - they will become obvious as you travel along.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Tom, just a few random thoughts of places we have enjoyed, Rosmarkie where you can watch the Dolphins close up, there is a CCC site right on the beach, but others around as well. We like to call in at Pitlochery where you can park overnight in the centre of the town on special motorhome bays, it's next to the library. There are some beautiful camping on sites on the beach around Arisaig .

Wild camping is a dream in Scotland always somewhere to Park. By September comes I am sure there will be a lot more threads on Scotland, put Scotland in the Search engine and you will come across some gems. Enjoy.

Edit. I have to agree 2 weeks is a short time, worth picking a area and concentrate on that, another one we love is the Kintyre Peninsula .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I stayed in a few places round that area. There are lots of places you can park up as Scotland has different rules from England. There are a few entries on my journal that might be worth checking out www.theworldismylobster.org.uk though I was there in spring rather than autumn.

It might be worth taking some Skin so Soft with you, which I found worked well for the midges.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
A nice site to take a breather (empty waste, top up with fresh water, catch up with laundry etc) just before or after Skye (where you may well be wilding) is Caravan Club site at Morvich - not far from Kyle of Lochalsh
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...n-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21944
Some fantastic walks from the gate too, back in towards Glen Affric. The Jack-o-Bite restaurant on the main road is good, also the cafe at Dornie as you approach Skye does gorgeous coffee & home-made cakes, & you could maybe find some lovely souvenirs there - we did!
http://www.dorniegallery.co.uk/

Skin so Soft with you, which I found worked well for the midges
My favourite for midgies is Smidge... Oops, is this another thread???

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
This is our absolutely favourite site - being going to the Western side of Scotland most years for the last 15 and much prefer it to the East
- Sunnyside Croft Touring Site, Mallaig. We usually go for three weeks as Mallaig is about 575 from us - a pity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Scotland is beautiful, we go a lot and as I'm married to a Glaswegian we tend to stick to the west coast most of the time so we can stop in on the clan whilst there. I agree that two weeks isn't much time as although it looks small on the map the roads aren't motorways and you don't want to rush through places as you will miss so much and you can always go back. I'd concentrate on a smaller area and see where it takes you. Depending on when/where you decide it would be worth checking the calendar for the Highland games as they are wonderful. The best one we've been to is at strathdon and it's the oldest games in history. 200+ clansmen parade through the town in traditional dress.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back