My Regiment, 9/12 Royal Lancers (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Philippft submitted a new Showcase Item:

Broken Link Removed

The R.S.M. invited members of the Old Comrades Association to visit the regiment in Bergen, Hohne for one last visit before relocating to the UK and being disbanded. This was my last opportunity to visit my Regiment and meet with some of the current serving members and their families. We also visited the P.O.W. camp next door which is worth visiting if in the area. Wrap up warm after November.

Broken Link Removed

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Think you'll find the camp next door was Belsen. I was station in the area in the 70s on secondment from the Navy. It was a very eery place you could feel the evil and the sorrow and really made me wish that it won't happen again but we all know it probably will and has in some countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That must be very sad for you. Like watching your family die.
Mixed feelings really. Many of the guy's I served with, I'm still in contact with today and our brotherhood is strong even after 45 years. This is the comradeship that prevails in H.M Armed Forces and in particular the Regimental system which has been maintained. Going forward, the serving members will preserve our regimental traditions and in time they will become the Old Comrades so the regiment will live on through these guy's. (The Old Comrades meet at least once per year and consist of ex members of the Regiment).
The sad part however, is one of the finest Calvary regiments in the British Army is being disbanded and amalgamated into the last Calvary Regiment which will be known as the Queen's Royal Lancers. I do not agree with this decision but like many have to adjust to the reality of goverment cutbacks.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Think you'll find the camp next door was Belsen. I was station in the area in the 70s on secondment from the Navy. It was a very eery place you could feel the evil and the sorrow and really made me wish that it won't happen again but we all know it probably will and has in some countries.
Correct! My second visit. First in the 70's but wanted to show my wife who had never been.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Was your Regiment stationed in Paderborn early 60,s?
Wore a bright red hat? Cherry Pickers? Cherry Bums?
Had a fella that cycled all the way from India to Bovington "to join his fathers regiment?"
Was it your lot that was sent to Berlin in 1961? No Ammo! only personal weapons were the tank commanders pistol, no ammo?
Might have passed you fellas on the way! on Diamond Ts and trailers driven by the Ukranian MFV's

I billeted in Paderborn for a couple of days, went to a reunion of the "Paderborner Panzers" the 10th Panzer Regiment (don't ask! it's a long story!!!)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Was your Regiment stationed in Paderborn early 60,s?
Wore a bright red hat? Cherry Pickers? Cherry Bums?
Had a fella that cycled all the way from India to Bovington "to join his fathers regiment?"
Was it your lot that was sent to Berlin in 1961? No Ammo! only personal weapons were the tank commanders pistol, no ammo?
Might have passed you fellas on the way! on Diamond Ts and trailers driven by the Ukranian MFV's

I billeted in Paderborn for a couple of days, went to a reunion of the "Paderborner Panzers" the 10th Panzer Regiment (don't ask! it's a long story!!!)
The Cherry pickers were the 11th Hussars and wore cherry colored trousers as part of their second dress (SD)uniform. The SD hat of the 9/12 is red and I will add it to my pictures.
Our lot (with yours truly) was in Berlin (Fantastic posting), 1969-71.
personal weapons of Tank Drivers was the Smith and Weston pistol but had changed to Sterling Machine gun for whole crew in mid 60's.
When I joined regiment in 67 they were stationed at Osnabruck. They were amalgamated in Tidworth in 1960, 9th Queens Royal lancers and 12 Royal Lancers Seems I am unable to add another picture. However, you can see colour of cap in first picture.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I used to be very friendly with the daughter of the RSM of the 17/21 Lancers when there were stationed in Paderborn in 1967, oh the days of our youth. (y)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I used to be very friendly with the daughter of the RSM of the 17/21 Lancers when there were stationed in Paderborn in 1967, oh the days of our youth. (y)
Another great Calvary Regiment with fine traditions. Amalgamated with the 16/5 Lancers who in turn will amalgamate with the 9/12 Royal Lancers in May 2015. Bet you never got on her wrong side. Your life would not have lasted long. LOL!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My youngest was in the 9/12th Royal Lancers up until about 6years ago, he went all over with them.

Kenya, Canada, didn't like Germany though. I'll show him this Phil.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Dad did national service in the 17/21st Lancers in the late 1940s, the 'Death or Glory Boys' were they not? Some of their regimental DNA came from the Charge of the Light Brigade. I imagine facing the Cold War Soviet hordes would have had a similar outcome.

He was quite handy at football in his younger days, and actually played for a local German league team, probably as a bit of good PR between the regiment and the community, like Bert Trautmann in reverse. He used to get picked up from the barracks and taken to matches in the local mayor's personal car.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My Dad did national service in the 17/21st Lancers in the late 1940s, the 'Death or Glory Boys' were they not? Some of their regimental DNA came from the Charge of the Light Brigade. I imagine facing the Cold War Soviet hordes would have had a similar outcome.

He was quite handy at football in his younger days, and actually played for a local German league team, probably as a bit of good PR between the regiment and the community, like Bert Trautmann in reverse. He used to get picked up from the barracks and taken to matches in the local mayor's personal car.
The skull and Crossbones (17/21 Lancers badge) will form part of the new badge for the Queen Royal Lancers when they are formed on the 2/5/2015.
We estimated, it would take the soviet army 3 days to reach the French coast if a war started. Our tactic was to draw them into a killing zone (perhaps sacrifice an armored regiment to do this) and drop a local nuclear warhead on them . It was our only hope of delaying/stopping them, there numbers were so great. We (Chieftain main battle tank), would probably have lasted longer than most, as we would have been hull down, closed up and pressurized with our chemical pack and wearing NBC suits, and capable of surviving nuclear blasts from relatively close range.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The skull and Crossbones (17/21 Lancers badge) will form part of the new badge for the Queen Royal Lancers..

An unusual symbol for modern military insignia - interesting to see that it's remaining. Obviously the 17/21st had it long before Hitler's SS, and for very different reasons and traditions, but it carries some petty heavy connotations all the same. Brazil's elite paramilitary police (BOPE) still use the skull, with guns behind and a dagger through it, but they have a fearsome reputation in the favelas. Imagine a Police van turning up in your street with this printed on the sides:

images.jpeg

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think all British Army Insignia has historical origins. So, not unusual at all for a new regiment to have old symbols in it's new badges. The Queens Royal Lancers will also have crossed lancers on their Cap Badge and lapel badges. As for the Brazilian police, I have heard they can be quite ruthless and have been accused of killing street kids in order to keep crime down !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back