anybody else as daft as us (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we found this place / site a few years back while still tugging, been back January 14, thinking of doing the same again next year, anybody else fancy it??

http://www.sangosands.com/camping-prices-for-tents-and-caravans.html

they have quite rightly put up the price for free camping with electrics from £3 to £7 per night, but anybody who doesn't want hook up can park on the cliff top here for free

fabulous sea views, bar / restaurant on site

9 hole golf course not played yet but planning to this time, honesty box beside 1st tee, love it

you can get a foot ferry over to the Cape Wrath headland and walk or mini bus to the lighthouse / café at Cape Wrath

not sure yet which weekend to go up, but think of driving up to Grantown on Spey, a lovely CC site, having a couple of nights there then, heading up to Durness for a long weekend

anybody else fancy a trip to the frozen north in January, always a remote chance of seeing the Northern Lights as well

most likely timing for us would be weekend of 10/11th Jan, getting to Grantown on 7th, setting off for Durness on 9th (easy and amazing drive in one day), setting off home again the following Tuesday 13th Jan

Long way to go for no obvious reason, but better than leaving MH in storage for winter (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Is the golf compulsory? I like watching it and one of my favourite films is the Legend of Bagger Vance if that counts?:)

Always wanted to see the Northern Lights:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is the golf compulsory? I like watching it and one of my favourite films is the Legend of Bagger Vance if that counts?:)

Always wanted to see the Northern Lights:)

I reckon just walking round this golf course with the dogs will be amazing, dogs and golf seem quite happy together in Scotland

Northern Lights, well here's hoping

Also looking to do Tromso next September to give us an even better chance (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hope you enjoy that dave and hope the weather is kind..looks lovely, but in the middle winter ??
another time maybe, but would like to think im on my way to spain by then..
hope to see you next year at a meet .. take care and enjoy your travels..and hope you seethe lights
ta andy

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'll show Les your post when he comes up to bed - but it looks really nice(y)

My birthday that weekend too:whistle:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just be careful David. I've seen too many accidents on the A9 to take anything for granted. There have been several today in the snow and it's just a dusting by our standards.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
with any luck we will get there safely and be stuck for weeks, were up there Jan this year, -10 ish at Grantown, but blue skies , no northern lights though

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Looks like good fun, love being out in the snow (though usually under canvas - haven't done anything so exciting in the MH). It doesn't look too hopeful at the moment but we'll see if we can work it in.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
100_5737.JPG
The 2013 / 2014 winter was the mildest we have ever had since moving here.

Here's a photo taken early Nov 2012 - the first fall. It just kept on snowing after that!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
View attachment 49204 The 2013 / 2014 winter was the mildest we have ever had since moving here.

Here's a photo taken early Nov 2012 - the first fall. It just kept on snowing after that!

I was just looking for photos we took this year, cant find any, but we hardly saw any snow, just a little by roadside near the café on the A9 (Ralia)

Frost we can cope with (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have the snowflake tyres on now so no excuses, if I tell Jen she might see the northern lights she could be persuaded although we wouldn't want to get snowed in for too long as we need to head for Spain.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Looks a great site though. One to put on our "to visit" list for definite - but NOT in January.

As I said last winter was the mildest / warmest we have had since moving here in 2000. Every other year we have had enough snow to be snowed in for several days even with snowflake tyres. If the snow is too deep you can't get out. The 2011/12 winter we couldn't see the cars never mind move them!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have the snowflake tyres on now so no excuses, if I tell Jen she might see the northern lights she could be persuaded although we wouldn't want to get snowed in for too long as we need to head for Spain.

bit of a diversion, Spain via Durness, you are clearly more mad than us :D(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What a fabulous place ! Long old trip though ( welllll it is for 50% or so of us LOL !!! )

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Stayed at this site several years ago when touring. Fantastic views with a beautiful beach. I am hoping to go again in January but will be dependent on the road conditions, I desperately want to see the northern lights and will set off to Scotland if there is some activity. I have signed up to the northern lights watch site so will get an 'e' mail if there is any chance of seeing them.
Might see you up there, as always will have Funster stickers on display.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Stayed at this site several years ago when touring. Fantastic views with a beautiful beach. I am hoping to go again in January but will be dependent on the road conditions, I desperately want to see the northern lights and will set off to Scotland if there is some activity. I have signed up to the northern lights watch site so will get an 'e' mail if there is any chance of seeing them.
Might see you up there, as always will have Funster stickers on display.
Morning - what website do you use for that please?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Debs: it is one run by Lancaster University. I just googled northern lights and it came up I think as northern lights watch. If you have a problem with the search let me know and I will go back and trace. It's a bit techy, but in essence I just wanted the notification of any solar activity.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Cheers girls - Les isn't keen at the minute:( will have to work on him a bit I think:rolleyes:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We off to Scotland for Christmas and New Year. We're touring round so added this one to my list!

I too would love to see the Northern Lights

Keeping a close eye on the weather though. A friend is an amatuer weather watcher and reckons that it could be a cold one!

Having said that he's normally wrong unless describing yesterdays weather lol

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Debs: it is one run by Lancaster University. I just googled northern lights and it came up I think as northern lights watch. If you have a problem with the search let me know and I will go back and trace. It's a bit techy, but in essence I just wanted the notification of any solar activity.

They also have a Facebook page, good for getting peoples comments on what they are doing, where they are going and what they have seen (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
They also have a Facebook page, good for getting peoples comments on what they are doing, where they are going and what they have seen (y)
Thanks David, fb is Les's domain - I just don't do it:D the problem I've got is that he doesn't like the cold and wet but we'll see:p

Looks like good fun, love being out in the snow (though usually under canvas - haven't done anything so exciting in the MH). It doesn't look too hopeful at the moment but we'll see if we can work it in.

I've had to go back and read that again:LOL::LOL:........are you mad woman?:fubar::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back