emission control system light on dash (1 Viewer)

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Hi all,

Driving home today after a couple of nights away, the warning light that looks like a gearbox on the dash lit up. The manual says it is emission control system fault, get it checked out be dealer ASAP.

Its a Pug 2.2 lt, The light came on last year during a trip but after stopping and engine off for 20 minutes, never lit again until now.

Is this a major issue?

Cheers
2dogs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
could be the egr valve sticking. it controls the exhaust gas recirculation so the engine burns cleaner.....can be very expensive. best plug in an OBD II reader and check the fault codes

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
EGR doesn't make the engine run cleaner - quite the opposite. Exhaust gas fed back into the inlet manifold eventually clogs it up with grease and soot and reduces performance. Take the inlet hose off any Diesel engine with a few miles on the clock and you'll see what I mean. Exhaust gas fed back to the engine cools the burn and reduces nitrous oxide emissions so it's not all bad but it is at a cost to the long-term well-being of the engine. The ECU-controlled EGR valve ensures that exhaust recirculation is only allowed to happen under certain conditions (in general at cruise on a fully-up-to-temperature engine).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Wack some redex in or fill up with premium diesel and go for a good run and keep the revs up...if that doesnt fix it then have it checked out

Happened to me 3 times in the last couple of years, twice this year, and the above sorted it each time.

Some possibles are poor fuel, letting the fuel level get too low ( I was down to 20miles left on the last 2 occasio s) and stalling(according to our friendly mechanic)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It could be coming on for many reasons, as the others have said. It happened to me and it turned out to be a poor electrical connection.
I can only suggest giving it a good blast, ideally including a few hills. If that doesn't work it needs to be looked at.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We had same - searched lots of different forums -discused with NE van & trucks who wanted to charge to stick it on their computer to read codes.
Looked at all suggestion about red ex - diconnecting battery - buy a code reader etc etc etc
Did nothing - light went out - aint come back on again
If it aint broke don't fix it I think?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ours comes on after a stall and gives an error code for fuel regulator but then clears after a coupleof restarts

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks for all the replies,
I've never stalled her and never gone below 1/4 full fuel tank.
I have been driving her like an old far.... conservatively:whistle:, keeping revs down etc, maybe too much.

I'll take her for a good blast sometime next week and see what happens.

Cheers
2dogs

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for all the replies,
I've never stalled her and never gone below 1/4 full fuel tank.
I have been driving her like an old far.... conservatively:whistle:, keeping revs down etc, maybe too much.

I'll take her for a good blast sometime next week and see what happens.

Cheers
2dogs

Yup,that's your problem. Drive it like you stole it for half an hour. That's what the MoT testers do if they have a problem with the emissions...or that's what my local garage told me!

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Terry,

drove her like a car for first year, no probs, mpg was about 32-33, this last year, low revs, early change up etc,
mpg now around 35-36+.
Best grow younger and put my foot down (y)

Cheers
2dogs

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Terry,

drove her like a car for first year, no probs, mpg was about 32-33, this last year, low revs, early change up etc,
mpg now around 35-36+.
Best grow younger and put my foot down (y)

Cheers
2dogs

You only have to do it occasionally, when the motor is nice and hot is when the system purges itself. I also chuck a can of diesel additive in every now and again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back