Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Hi.
We pick up our new van/conversion late December early January although we've 30 + years of static caravan
experience the only time we have stood in a motor home was at the Harrogate mh show.

We will require on site showers etc as the van is really intended to take us two & the dog to Fuerteventura at a leisurely pace in a year or so where it will become our transport on the Island until we head home 6 months later.
We decided to not to have a shower fitted thinking of the space it would take up but we have a porta loo (just in case)

We could head off for a week-ish maybe even try a ferry but the whole set up will not have been tried so it could be a bit like walking before we can run.

I know you guys will have lots of experience & knowledge we on the other hand have none.

Thanks John & Dia

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Somewhere local so that if you have a major problem you can get home fast.

The first night in our new van we stayed on the drive ( it is our third motorhome) .... you can guarantee you will forget something so it's handy to be able to nip home and get the duvet / pillows/ can opener!

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Hi.
We pick up our new van/conversion late December early January although we've 30 + years of static caravan
experience the only time we have stood in a motor home was at the Harrogate mh show.

We will require on site showers etc as the van is really intended to take us two & the dog to Fuerteventura at a leisurely pace in a year or so where it will become our transport on the Island until we head home 6 months later.
We decided to not to have a shower fitted thinking of the space it would take up but we have a porta loo (just in case)

We could head off for a week-ish maybe even try a ferry but the whole set up will not have been tried so it could be a bit like walking before we can run.

I know you guys will have lots of experience & knowledge we on the other hand have non
Hi I would suggest that if you just want to try out your new toy that you just go local, you wont find many sites open this time of year but if you wanted to go wild, then there quite a few places to stop near where I live at whitby

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As said someplace local. As to shower it takes up little more room than the WC and could double as the dogs bed.

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
I would suggest that you try and keep it local to but there plenty of places near where I live that are safe and quite if you want to go wild, as you wont find much open in the way of camp sites this time of year there is a local man to sort things out
if anything goe's wrong with van, conversion wise, regarding shower you can make one quite easy 25 ltr plastic drum and a small 12v pump and a bit of tube. I live in whitby hope this helps we have just done 3,400 miles eastern europe, lots of experience over many years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
As said someplace local. As to shower it takes up little more room than the WC and could double as the dogs bed.
The layout was sorted out back in august & the converters are well on with the conversion but everyone is saying
local so "local it is"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I would suggest that you try and keep it local to but there plenty of places near where I live that are safe and quite if you want to go wild, as you wont find much open in the way of camp sites this time of year there is a local man to sort things out
if anything goe's wrong with van, conversion wise, regarding shower you can make one quite easy 25 ltr plastic drum and a small 12v pump and a bit of tube. I live in whitby hope this helps we have just done 3,400 miles eastern europe, lots of experience over many years
Thanks for the reply I don't think wild camping would be an option for the wife (in fact I think she'd get a taxi home) but will definitely stay local.

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
The layout was sorted out back in august & the converters are well on with the conversion but everyone is saying
local so "local it is"
It's got to be local but there are not many open this time of year, they would have all of there water turn off for a start for fear of freezing could be wild camping or front yard have fun

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Buiding a van without a small shower/toilet compartment ( they honestly dont take up that much room!) not very conducive it all year round camping, Aires wild camping etc.....your kinda stuck particularly out of season. Also out of season when its bitterly cold your own facilities preferable to trudging to a shower block!

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
maybe your decision for no bathroom-cassette toilet/shower was dictated by cost and space especially in a conversion but will impact on s/h value. Definitely 1st outing local with electric hookup and either CC or CCC sites both having very good facilities.

Upvote 0

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) Depends where in Cheshire you are based. Chatsworth Club site is open all year and still had midweek spaces as of yesterday.
The dog would enjoy it (y) Don't forget you're now in a motorhome.............:clap2: :clap2: so, could stay near converter for a couple of nights, then further afield. Wherever enjoy ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Buiding a van without a small shower/toilet compartment ( they honestly dont take up that much room!) not very conducive it all year round camping, Aires wild camping etc.....your kinda stuck particularly out of season. Also out of season when its bitterly cold your own facilities preferable to trudging to a shower block!
Thanks for the reply. Not really planing on all year round camping as the MH is really going to be our transport to Fuerteventura the dog flights are approx Ā£700 each way dependant on times etc hence the converted van as this will give us the freedom to dash over in 3 days or take our time.
We really only want to try the MH out when we get it back for a week to see what its like just a shame its January.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
maybe your decision for no bathroom-cassette toilet/shower was dictated by cost and space especially in a conversion but will impact on s/h value. Definitely 1st outing local with electric hookup and either CC or CCC sites both having very good facilities.
Thanks for the reply.
Space was our main concern as we bought a LWB Traffic as this suited the storage / driving criteria as for the S/H resale I think with 4 children & 10 grandchildren it will no doubt be passed on to them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
[QUOTE="Wildge, post:
The dog would enjoy it (y) Don't forget you're now in a motorhome.............:clap2: :clap2: so, could stay near converter for a couple of nights, then further afield. Wherever enjoy ::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply.
Key words "remember your in a motorhome" the fact that we can stop/start at any time will take a while to get used too.

Upvote 0

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Good luck with new Mh hope it turns out to be big enough for what you need, it will interesting find out how you get on with it please keep us informed. Regards George Joan David willow the travel dog

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back