Tablet question from Techno ignoramus (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
What exactly is a Tablet,
Is it a small version of a laptop that can send and receive emails, search internet, store documents etc.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
In a way yes
You can send and receive emails
You can browse the Internet
Store photos depending on what storage you have ( some have built in camera)
Documents ??? You can download a programme similar to office but I have never found it that great
But if you just want something slightly larger than a phone and smaller than a laptop for emails and surfing the web then they are fine for the price, some have 3G built in but I usually just use mine when I have a wifi connection
Hope this helps

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks that is a help. I am looking for something to take with me when travelling and didn't want to take laptop.
Aldi have them on sale next week, do they look a good like a good choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was very skeptical but bought a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab2) as an old (redundant) model when it was on special offer. All I wanted was an e-reader and sat nav. It was new and had a 3 month guarantee and was about £100 I think.

I have added quite a few "apps" (applications - like programs on the laptop), some are good some are not. I delete the ones I don't like or use. I'm not saying I couldn't manage / live without it but I use it far far more than I ever expected to.

Mine has two cameras (not as good as my stand alone camera but more than adequate for snaps) and you can upload directly to email or facebook if you do that sort of thing. If I am shopping and have been asked to get something for someone but am not sure if what I have found is correct I can take a photo and send it to them so they can say yes or no which saves a second trip for example.

Of the apps I have I use the ereader most, then the cycledroid (bike computer), then sat nav and then other odds and ends including the Lidl and Aldi apps which give the special offers and the nearest store.

I do use it for email and it's okay. I don't use the polaris office type application much as the virtual keyboard is fiddly and I can't get any speed which is frustrating. The memo function is a pain and it's a right fiddle to import and read it on your Windows devices. It's okay for shopping lists and that sort of thing where you are not going to work on the document anywhere else.

There are all sorts of tablets out there with different operating systems. I tried a Hudl first (the tesco tablet) and couldn't get on with it, thought that was just me but I took it back to find it was faulty. They didn't have another so I got my money back and bought a Galaxy Tab2 as the Tab4 was about to be launched. It does what I want and more so I'm happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you for the helpful links

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm thinking of getting a tablet for my Mum so she can do email (I'll get her a mifi box as well). Dad refuses to have broadband as he doesn't see the point ad jibs at the cost. I am concerned that Dad will take over the tablet, not get on with it and tell Mum it is too complex for her. He did that with the desktop and a laptop my sister gave her.

I think I will top up my PAYG mifi and show her what the tablet can do - see what she thinks.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
What exactly is a Tablet,
Is it a small version of a laptop that can send and receive emails, search internet, store documents etc.
sort of is the correct answer.
firstly if you want it to be autonomous, then it needs to be 3/4G enabled
secondly do you want to watch telly/import files from a usb stick, if so then it need to have usb hosting.
do you want/need increased storage facilities, if so then you need an android device rather than apple.

SLG VFM top tip is the samsung galaxy tab 3 8.0 with 4G. pick them up for @£100 on ebay

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
sort of is the correct answer.
firstly if you want it to be autonomous, then it needs to be 3/4G enabled
secondly do you want to watch telly/import files from a usb stick, if so then it need to have usb hosting.
do you want/need increased storage facilities, if so then you need an android device rather than apple.

SLG VFM top tip is the samsung galaxy tab 3 8.0 with 4G. pick them up for @£100 on ebay

I recommend that. It is what I am using at this very moment. The 8" one is a great improvement on the 7" one being faster and can take more added memory and is about the same price. I can get around 30-40 films on a single 64Gb sdhc card so handy for something to watch when travelling.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have bought my Mum an Ipad for Christmas.

I think its probably the easiest to use if you have no (and I mean no) previous experience of computers.

I want her to be able to Facetime the grand children.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
I recommend that. It is what I am using at this very moment. The 8" one is a great improvement on the 7" one being faster and can take more added memory and is about the same price. I can get around 30-40 films on a single 64Gb sdhc card so handy for something to watch when travelling.
the 7" doesn't have usb hosting so is pointless in reality, hence why it is now being billed as the 'lite'.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
IPad mini: emails, surfs web, downloads/ plays music and TV. Takes photos and video which can be sent via email or shared on F.book etc.. If you use those. Can type a document/letter via App ( Pages about £6.99) and print via wifi.
I'm sure it does more but above are things I use.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ipad is so easy to use I bought my 82 year old mum one so that I can face time her when away in Spain this winter.Face time is Apples version of Skype and is all set up to use when you get it:xThumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby has a 10" tablet but I have a small laptop which I prefer due to it having a 'proper' sized keyboard which is important for me as a typist. Don't forget with a tablet you don't get a cd/dvd drive so make sure whatever you want to take with you can be put onto a USB stick/external hard drive or get a portable cd/dvd drive to attach to it. We've also found that tablets are also slower than a laptop too but it depends exactly what you want/can put up with/want to pay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back