Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Hi after reading lots of luck peoples posts about Lake Garda I have a question on travel times I know lots of options and things to consider. I'm just over 8 metre and about 4500 KGS I don't mind racking up a few miles a day and I want to return different route. I certainly don't want to go down any goat tracks or play chicken with any suicide Italians. So how long shall I allow to go down and return ? Unfortunately be only 2 week trip September.

While on subject where best place to plot up near to train etc so we can visit venice. Would love a site with lake view hoping to have a scooter by then so travel shouldn't be to bad.

As ever thanks for any advice in advance Paul

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Go down through France and take Mont Blanc to Garda then drive across to Venice camp at Serrinissima. Return through Austria via Brenner pass up Romantic Rd Germany then Holland and back to Calais.
We did that route this September stunning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks do 2 or 3 day trip too and from ?
And safe ?

It's only 780 miles from Calais so in 3 hops easy and very safe roads.

Trust Google... select the A4 route for Metz.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Calais, France&daddr=Peschiera del Garda, Verona, Italy&hl=en&sll=48.161051,6.280737&sspn=6.251642,11.898193&geocode=FXp0CQMdflwcAClj4_HXdT_cRzH0edKM4Nm-rA;FZZatQIdURCjACmhoAU01euBRzGWFvUdEoGuRg&oq=Peschi&doflg=ptm&mra=luc&t=m&z=7

Not quite right, if you go Lille Luxembourg Metz you get cheap fuel and no tolls in France. You have to pay the Swiss though.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Bongiorno!:)

a friend of mine who is great at routes, sent me this in relation to a route for another friend. we have been visiting Garda for 10 years on the trot. As we are 3500 we go via switzerland OR a version of this route below, with a few differences as we usually visit either Mosel/Alsace/lake constance....whatever, on the way.

Train or coach for venice or go their and stay at camping serenissima

"If he wants toll free he should go up into Belgium and then head across to Karlsruhe. Don’t think there is a “best route for that, too many alternatives. Take your pick! Then to Ulm and Fussen, and take the non-tollroute through Austria via Reutte and Nessereith (Fernpass), and then to Imst, Landeck, Pfunds, and Nauders for the Reschenpass. Then Merano, Bolzano and Trento to Verona. He can exit west for whichever part of lakeGarda he wants to reach. Merano to Bolzano is good dual carriageway. Bolzano south he can use either A22 or SS12. Italian aautostradaare relatively cheap, and most non-autostrada roads are slow, so I’d go for the motorways in Italy."

what ever you do dont go down the right side of lake as its full of bum clenching tight tunnels. have seen an arctic stuck in them. stick to west route motorway all the way.

you need to book sites on garda if going in season. Two favorites of ours: Fornella near Salo (biggish site - full facilities) camping Tonini Malcesine (small simple site - very hilly but lovely spot) but there are loads around the lake...

we have made it back with one overnight via Switzerland but really its a bit much... 3 better. DONT! travel at weekends..timing everything!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Thanks everyone do I need anything special for Switzerland or Austria in respect to me being largish tag axle ? Also I have now been told we must visit Germany as the Bride wants some German food ha ha.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Plenty of money! If you use toll or buy a vigenette for Austria, Switzerland! Italy far superior then Germany for food.....

Check current cost on line.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You need a gobox for Austria one for my 5 tonne tag axle was e90 6 weeks ago. Buy them in a service station dont forget you veh documents though.
German food uurrrggghhh

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I like to avoid tolls where possible managed to get to Valencia for free which put a smile on my face but understand it can sometimes be impossible to avoid. German food is for the wife as she once lived in Germany for a while so proberly a trip down memory lane too.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Take her to Lidl/Aldi for a treat:D

a word of warning Germany may be free motorways (for now - vignette being introduced). there are so many roadworks and jams, delays more or less unavoidable...what time of year are you going to Italy

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mont Blanc Tunnel costs many pennies for MH. Might be worth comparing the cost of a Swiss Vignette and using the Gotthard Tunnel, which is included in the Vignette. The route isn't especially winding either, as I recall.

Hilldweller's route sounds similar to the one we took. Our overnight stop near Metz was the Snowdome complex aire at Amneville, but there's probably others.

Your best best bet for visiting Venice is to camp near Venice and get a ferry in, but I suppose a train's a worthwhile alternative. If you camp in one of the numerous sites along the south east side of Lake Garda there's not only a regular bus to Verona, but also free shuttle buses to the theme/water parks, assuming that sort of thing floats your boat.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're planning Garda/Como/Maggiore for the summer so will watch this thread with interest. I quite like the idea of getting there via Mont Blanc and back through Austria and Germany.

abra80dog

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
ADRIA CORAL 660SL
Exp
IM A NEWBIE
we are planning a similar trip starting out beginning of June and ending up near Florence around the 22nd of June where my son is getting married. So looking at a 4 to 5 week trip and also we want to go down using a very leisurely route ( maybe Belgium, onto Austria, across to lake Garda, and then down to Florence either visting Bologna region on the right hand side or Pisa area on the left, few days around Florence then a 1 hour trip (somewhere in the mountains) for the 3 day ceremony. Then back to the UK but over 4 or 5 days for the return journey. Being a beginner at all this and needing any advice or help possible. Any good guide books out there, seems to be a lot of them but which are recommended.
Many thenks in advance to helpful people :).

abra80dog

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
ADRIA CORAL 660SL
Exp
IM A NEWBIE
Venice would be good as well, also are most places little dog friendly cos hes coming as well

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
We are also going to be doing this trip to Garda at the end of August, stopping in Switzerland for about 4 nights then into Italy probably over the Furkapass.

We also have a tagg at 5 t so expecting an expensive trip through Switzerland but I'm sure it will be money well spent.

Do I call at the first services I see, for the vignette thingy or can this be done online before we go.

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If your MH is over 3m high and 3 axles the Mont Blanc tunnel could cost you €317.3 one way.

Link Removed

A 10 individual day ticket to use the Swiss motorways which includes the St Goddard tunnel is €30 to 40. You buy this at the border.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
camping Tonini Malcesine (small simple site - very hilly but lovely spot) but there are loads around the lake...

Plus one on Tonini just north of Malcesine...the pitches are a bit small and awkward for big vans to access though..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Tuscany such a beautiful area... Try and do it justice, so much to see and do..... We will be at lake Garda as usual this summer. Rest of trip not finalised...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We got married in Malcesine,

looking to go back in a few years time in the van then have a week at the hotel we stayed at, lovely family owned place

Andy

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Going this way myself soon, is the vignette thingy strait forward to do.

I presume you stop at the border and sort this out.

abra80dog

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
ADRIA CORAL 660SL
Exp
IM A NEWBIE
What is a vignette? I have just looked at his invitation card and the ceremony is at a place called battoria celle, any one been there?, near figlivie valdarvio.
Blimey, I think I need to look at things, is a vignette a salad dressing?

abra80dog

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
ADRIA CORAL 660SL
Exp
IM A NEWBIE
We havent got a big big motorhome; Adria motorhome, 2 berth, Fiat Ducatto base, 24 foot long, weighs a bit more than the wife.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back