Driver Traing Hours Revocation (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
For those of you familiar with the Driver C P C Qualification, this may be of interest . A few weeks ago
I attended one of our local Training Providers to complete the 35 hours "Training" now required for vocational or professional drivers. (those who drive HGVs for a living full time) Although I am now a retired person I still do a couple of days a week as and when required. Well I sat through the full 5 day curriculum and managed to stay awake for most of the time. In truth there were subjects which had relevance but "what do you carry in your drivers bag?" was frankly laughable, as was the time it took the VOSA man to do a daily check. If we all took that long we would never get out of the yard! The course could be condensed into three days and content improved. However I duly collected my temporary Certificate and departed (£350.00 lighter). While away in the MH last week I had a call from the Training Provider, " I'm very sorry said Julie I have some bad news. ( That's odd I thought, I don't think I know anyone there that well that I would be attending a Funeral !) "Well, said Julie, you my recall that there was a young man sitting in the corridor at the rear of the classroom, he was an Auditor, checking in the training we provide. He has revoked that days training and you will have to attend another days course to make up your hours". Wonderful, having just recovered from being brain dead for a week I now have to go and repeat the experience. Well it transpired that the Auditor was satisfied with the course content, the manner of presentation and the Instructors ability. He felt however that a period of 20minutes for discussion had not ben included, and it was for this reason that he revoked that days 7hour period. If someone in that position has to make that kind of precedent he is clearly just trying to justify his existence ! One of the subjects on the curriculum is Health and Safety. This cretin was in clear breach of all the regulations as he had placed his chair in the only exit to the building obstructing the emergency egress for all there in. People in glasshouses should not throw stones methinks! The irony of this is that there is no requirement to cover the entire 5 modules of the courses. There is no written exam, and you can attend five days on the same subject and still become "Qualified"
What an absolute farce!
Thank you Brussels what else do you have lined up for us?

Martin

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
If the DVLA give me my HGV licence back I might waste £350 on my cpc. failed medical due to heart attack I had 6 years ago, and failed the treadmill test

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Funny you should post this

It was discussed on a car forum i go on and they said one bloke did the same course 5 times and duly passed o_O

Farce is one word i could think of many more :)

Ticking boxes springs to mind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Not bothered with mine,my HGV runs out next March and in the unlikely case of me driving in the meantime the possible fine is much less than the cost of the useless course.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Gave mine up (and PSV) when I had to start having medicals as I hadn't used them for years.
I had a CPC ( international freight), before drivers had to have them ,as I was a transport manager for a haulage company. So glad I'm not involved in transport with the state of the roads these days.
Wonder if my CPC still is still valid

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Barrie's just finished his CPC and said what a load of codswallop it was. On the final day, the instructor and several of the attendees were playing online poker before he gave them the answers to the questions in the 'test'.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I still drive 2-3 days a week (Class 1 ) although I'm officially retired and also had to do the CPC training
which IMO was a total waste of time .
The 35 hours training cost me £325 and taught me absolutely nothing (n)(n)

Trekker

Free Member
Nov 14, 2014
south lake district
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2004
Not bothered with mine,my HGV runs out next March and in the unlikely case of me driving in the meantime the possible fine is much less than the cost of the useless course.

Sorry, incorrect, £1,000 fine. If you have driver cpc, but don't carry it £1,000 fine. Totally agree with comments, load of rubbish. Where are all the drivers going to come from when we are all retired? Young ones won't want to know with all thats involved now, and wages still don't improve!!!

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
and the vehicle is immobilised until a 'qualified' driver turns up.
did mine last year and learnt all about sally's and multidrops and POA's.............shame i'm PCV.
only us, eire and romania actually subscribe to the CPC, everyone else has it put off til 2016 at the earliest!

Trekker

Free Member
Nov 14, 2014
south lake district
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2004
Gave mine up (and PSV) when I had to start having medicals as I hadn't used them for years.
I had a CPC ( international freight), before drivers had to have them ,as I was a transport manager for a haulage company. So glad I'm not involved in transport with the state of the roads these days.

Your freight cpc is valid for life, but you still need to obtain driver cpc, which only lasts 5 years anyway and then you have to take the course again, so someone starting now at 21 has to take the course every 5 years until they retire

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I still drive 2-3 days a week (Class 1 ) although I'm officially retired and also had to do the CPC training
which IMO was a total waste of time .
The 35 hours training cost me £325 and taught me absolutely nothing (n)(n)

It should have taught you that being an instructor not only pays better than being a driver, its a damn sight easier money.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

For transport manager yes i think but it would not be a replacement for the new Driver CPC. BUSBY.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Had to do some management courses when a shift manager at British Steel! Manage???? They could not manage my arse onto a bog seat!!!! Complete waste of time and money! Mind you the food was fantastic and the evening piss ups! :nerd::clap:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My licence ran out last March at 60 and I can't be arsed renewing it. There is so much crap to contend with now and hoops to jump through. I remember many many years ago I started a job and the gaffer said "do you know where Inverness is " yes says I, " that's yours, it's loaded and fuelled see you next week" I called at the first paper shop I came to and bought a map, Inverness, I'd never heard of it. :LOL::LOL:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I think there is a little bit more wrong than not allowing a 20 minute discussion. I'm not a fan of JAUPT auditors but I am positive they would not revoke the hours for this.

In terms of the Operator CPC, that is valid for life unless you lose your "good repute" but there is talk of making Operator CPC holders do compulsory refresher courses too - not a bad thing if you ask me because most I come across are still using the old 1970/71 Regs!

the idea with the driver CPC is that a driver takes a 7 hour course each year over each 5 year period thereby keeping up with changing legislation. Again, not a bad idea as I come across many that have very scant knowledge of the basics. It is true that you can do the same course 5 times and that must be changed soon as it is clearly a stupid idea.

Deleted User
Sorry, incorrect, £1,000 fine. If you have driver cpc, but don't carry it £1,000 fine. Totally agree with comments, load of rubbish. Where are all the drivers going to come from when we are all retired? Young ones won't want to know with all thats involved now, and wages still don't improve!!!

Maximum £1000 if referred to court but normally fixed penalty of £50

From Gov website :

Driving professionally without carrying your DQC carries a £50 fixed penalty.

"Driving without a Driver CPC qualification may also lead to prosecution proceedings - with a £1,000 maximum penalty - for both the driver and the operator."

There could also be other implications of course and if I was going to drive regularly I would waste my money on the courses.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It should have taught you that being an instructor not only pays better than being a driver, its a damn sight easier money.

Bloody boring though....BUSBY:D:D

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bloody boring though....BUSBY:D:D

Not only boring, but soul destroying. I would imagine it would be like teaching a fish to swim. Either drivers have changed a lot in the 15 years since I retired or they are just plain stupid. All the drivers I knew came up through the ranks and there was little anyone could teach any of em.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
the only thng that has changed since your time Snowbird is that DVSA and the police are now issuing a damn sight more Graduated fixed penalties than they were prosecuting back in the 80's and 90's. There are only a few hundred DVSA enforcement officers on the road and there are 500,000 active LGV drivers around. In any group of 20 drivers you will probably find at least 1 that has been prosecuted or offered a graduated fixed penalty for some offence

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have also done the driver CPC paid for by the company i work for,the one course i found useful was digi taco and driver hours,and surprised at how many of the old boys that have been driving for years had never used one and did'nt know how to use one.even had a mate of mine phone me to ask which way the card went in.and he's been driving for 40 years:rolleyes:
as for the DVSA they are on a recruitment drive to employ 5000 enforcement officers,and i now see them regularly on the m25 leading drivers to a weighbridge,and also the DVSA are self funded,and we all know what that means:(

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I started in the road haulage industry there was two ways you could get work. The first was if the haulier knew you as a kid and you had started by washing trucks off at the weekend, graduating to moving trucks around in the yard and working in the garage. When you left school, you went working there with the fitter and going out occasionally with an experienced old driver to help load and unload. You learned roping and sheeting and how to maintain your vehicle. The way to secure various loads etc.
The second was to be born into the job. There was just no other way of getting into the industry and to have to teach some of those old boys in a classroom for me does not even bear thinking about :D. I realise that times change, and no one would want to go back to the good old days, but some of that change was not always for the better. I blame Eddy Stobbart and the like for making drivers wear a tie :cool:.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ah, roping and sheeting. There's a lost art. Used to carry paper a lot and what a bastard that was to keep dry! Tar paper on the bed, double sheets and a fly sheet, took hours to do properly but woe betide you if it got wet in transit!

Must ask a question of how many new young drivers have these skills anymore I wonder?

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Ah, roping and sheeting. There's a lost art. Used to carry paper a lot and what a bastard that was to keep dry! Tar paper on the bed, double sheets and a fly sheet, took hours to do properly but woe betide you if it got wet in transit!

Must ask a question of how many new young drivers have these skills anymore I wonder?
why would they need to with curtain siders and ratchet straps?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Use to be an instructor on "Arctics" and also taught CPC, but it was a load of cobblers even then.. Let my licence go when I had the pacemaker fitted, as I didn't think I would need to drive a rig again.. They wanted me to jog on a running machine to pass !! I told them to "jog on". I only have the pacemaker for an enlarged heart (thanks to the Army) which gives me a slow heartbeat, causing fainting when inactive... I could have run all day (Ba**ards)
I did used to love my job though !!
Now happy do drive all over in our own "rig".

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Badknee. I don't think they would be able to do a "Catspaw"

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Barrie's just finished his CPC and said what a load of codswallop it was. On the final day, the instructor and several of the attendees were playing online poker before he gave them the answers to the questions in the 'test'.

That instructor should be struck off if what you say is true.
I completed a CPC course during August and every module was different. Although I have many years HGV ADR driving under my belt I had to accept having to take it or be taken off the road. The law is the law no matter what.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I only have one more thing to say on this, and that is before retirement I was a small haulier with seven trucks doing international work. My drivers stayed with me through thick and thin times, I would have trusted any one of them with my life. Had I have asked any one of them to go and sit in a classroom whilst someone in a collar and tie tried to tell them how to do the job they had done all there lives. The magnificent seven which they were known as would have deserted in the field of battle. I thank God I never had to subject them to such humiliation.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I only have one more thing to say on this, and that is before retirement I was a small haulier with seven trucks doing international work. My drivers stayed with me through thick and thin times, I would have trusted any one of them with my life. Had I have asked any one of them to go and sit in a classroom whilst someone in a collar and tie tried to tell them how to do the job they had done all there lives. The magnificent seven which they were known as would have deserted in the field of battle. I thank God I never had to subject them to such humiliation.

Thats the difference between old school common sense and all this b*llshit we are subjected to now

Its the same in the building trade, you now need a card to say you are safe on a site.
Ive managed all this time and i don't think a bit of plastic will make much difference now.
Seems like a lot of job creation and back door taxation.

Ahh i do feel better now :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back