Dash Cam Question (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Having acquired a dash cam from Jaws (y).I am very Pleased with It.Works great:).One thing I am not sure whether its Google or me.When I save trips to google odd bits of the journey are not shown on google earth .Went out today to test it again.First 5 mins off footage not on google then after that no problem.went out again and all footage showing on google earth.Allfootage recorded on simcard is there.Any help advise appreciated.Also just noticed gps not recorded on the first bit of footage.checked the gps lead and it has not come loose.Just had another thought.My Car is a Ford with the heated front screen.could it be this that's doing it.Not tried it in motorhome yet

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The GPS is not exactly high tech or indeed particularly sensitive..
It takes AGES for it to locate all the needed satellites ( but it tells you in the hand book how many it needs and what is displayed on the screen when it has them )
I found that heavy cloud cover causes it to loose sats so looses where it is on occasion

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It can take a few mins for the device to pick up the GPS signal when you first start, hence, you won't have a map record of that part of your journey. Once powered off, it will try and pick up the last signal that it had when you next turn it on - the longer that it is powered off, the longer it takes to find the satellites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The GPS is not exactly high tech or indeed particularly sensitive..
It takes AGES for it to locate all the needed satellites ( but it tells you in the hand book how many it needs and what is displayed on the screen when it has them )
I found that heavy cloud cover causes it to loose sats so looses where it is on occasion

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks John (y) mattyjwr.(y)never thought about gps lag (n).Can't read book the prints a bit smudged

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I saw a run through that said the gps is powered up all the time so be aware not to leave it connected when not using the vehicle.
I had to have an external gps finder on a van I had as the sat nag could not see through the screen.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Here's mine
Dash Cam Sat Nav Rearview Camera.jpg

Top left permanent rear view camera monitor.
Far right iphone dash cam.
Bottom 7" Chinese Sat Nav

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I saw a run through that said the gps is powered up all the time so be aware not to leave it connected when not using the vehicle.
I had to have an external gps finder on a van I had as the sat nag could not see through the screen.
Paul, what you saw is an out out date thing that was done on one of the very first units available..

You can leave the GPS antenna connected all the time and it does not affect it at all :)

To be honest that thing on youtube is very misleading in many respects and I am surprised it has not been taken down !

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
You have all that going all the time?

That would distract me I think

Naw you get used to it AND if I had a window in the back I'd be glancing in the rear view mirror anyway. The sat nav tells me where to go so no need to look. Dash Cam is my iPhone app and I'm looking in the same direction. I have that on because if the G-meter detects there's been an accident it will automatically phone the emergency services and another 3 tel no's of your choosing AND it will also send emails + tweets. It will give everyone that's contacted our precise location together with our vehicle registration........its a no brainer

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You have all that going all the time?

That would distract me I think
We usually run with two GPS's and the large split screen monitor .. The GPS units are centre bottom but the monitor is right off to the right agin the A pillar .. usually set to see two cameras but on occasion I fit another two so can view all four at the same time if need be :)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Forgot to mention that the both the dash cam and the sat nav give me my true speed AND the sat nav tells me if I'm exceeding the speed limit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back