Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Our MH is a new Chausson made in France. Do we need to put beam benders on in Europe?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It may be made in France, but if it was intended for the UK market it will have UK bias headlamps.

Some have a lever behind the headlamp to convert to r/h bias but i know nothing about them.

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
It may be made in France, but if it was intended for the UK market it will have UK bias headlamps.

Some have a lever behind the headlamp to convert to r/h bias but i know nothing about them.
Thanks, common sence really. Will check for leaver

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine is on the other hand a left hand drive and although imported and UK registered it still has LHD headlights.
I therefore have beam converters to drive it here.
I thought of buying UK headlights as they are quite cheap but as we do more miles abroad I would still need converters so for me a completely pointless exercise.
Having fitted them correctly I leave them on permanently night vision is not impaired.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kcy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yep..no lever don't waste your time. best buy a pair of headlight protectors and stick beam benders on those

edit: just saw the above but what I said still applies

surprised you got it registered, you would not these days. No way around a headlight change due to VCA inspection

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
yep..no lever don't waste your time. best buy a pair of headlight protectors and stick beam benders on those

edit: just saw the above but what I said still applies

surprised you got it registered, you would not these days. No way around a headlight change due to VCA inspection
registered it last week!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes a good option not available pre marked for LHD headlights, although the previous owner fitted them and of course beam benders meant for RHD are as much use as a chocolate fire guard on LHD headlights :ROFLMAO:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
registered it last week!!

so how did you deal with the VCA inspection certificate and MOT station inspection.....

i'm guessing maybe you got away with it due to MOT station negligence? what about the speedo, did you change that to MPH? fog light?

while you may consider yourself lucky you're driving a vehicle that does not comply with UK construction and use regs. if something unfortunate happens insurance company will have a really good excuse to pull the plug on claim...sorry

Broken Link Removed

"If the vehicle is left hand drive, modifications to the headlamps (they should dip to the left) and speedometer (must read in both mph and km/h) will be necessary. Normally the headlamps should be changed for a pair suitable for the UK. (Black stickers are not acceptable).
The speedometer can be changed for a UK-spec speedo, or adapted by addition of a home-made scale. A dealership or garage can do the work but you are advised to shop around."

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
souix never said theirs was LHD

Doh! getting posts crossed ( dont worry its an age fing):rolleyes:

looking through thread again..I guess what I said was for your benefit Andy....if i'm correct. im going to lie down now.....

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was not involved with the import of mine, it was done by first owner May 2008. On its first MOT it failed on fog light. It had a KPH speedo only and LHD headlights. I don't know how they managed that but I sorted it all when I took over.

Headlights have passed last two MOT's with advisory " a product has been applied to the headlights"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Since when has it been a requirement to change speedos to MPH ? All that is needed is to place small stickers on the glass to indicate where various MPH speeds are

Unless that rule came in within the last errr.. well 4.5 days, it is not a requirement to change !

It does come in to uses and construction but not the MOT**, and a VCA would only be needed on a vehicle that does not have either an EU approval or in some cases a mutual recognition ( think thats what its called ) certificate

MOT requirements are as you proly know, absolutely nothing like uses and construction regs..

To answer the OP
If your vehicle is right hand drive it is almost 100% certain it will have lights that dip to the left which is correct for the UK
It may have been made elsewhere but as it was made for a right hand drive country it should and probably will, have the correct headlight units :)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Am surprised by the MPH/KPH issue - I have a Left Hand drive Pinninfarina Spider which has been in this country since 1983 and has passed several MOTs with me at at least three different MOT stations and the speedo only shows KPH.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Am surprised by the MPH/KPH issue - I have a Left Hand drive Pinninfarina Spider which has been in this country since 1983 and has passed several MOTs with me at at least three different MOT stations and the speedo only shows KPH.
Mine passed too but I got an overlay for my own benefit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You dont even need a speedo....a rev counter is acceptable proviving it meets the same requirements as a speedo.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s06000701.htm

Ooppps, my mistake....that should read TACHOGRAPH , not tachometer.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought that euro headlight were going to have flatop beams and valid anywhere, do not know if it got accepted.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So why are some people waffling on about driving in the uk and mot's and vca's.....completely immaterial.

Canna speak for others but I waffled on cos like a plank I did not read the original post properly !! DOH !!!!!

Memo to self:

Oh Please! READ the bloody post !!!!! :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought that euro headlight were going to have flatop beams and valid anywhere, do not know if it got accepted.
They went that way with bikes but gawd knows about tin tents and other bits of road kit with too many wheels ( 2 is the correct amount btw ! LOL !! )

Deleted User
Since there is a discussion about speedos: do you need the vehicle speedo to be working or is a sat nav that displays the speed acceptable.

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
I have never bothered to fit them. I carry a pair in case but my lights do not seem to affect other motorists when a broard. I believe I am not the only one who does not bother.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So did mine. My mot tester used to cross out " mileage" & write Kms.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back