Trailer for motorcycle. Help or advice please. (1 Viewer)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Hi Funsters,
My original plan was that when I get my new motorhome in the Spring I would tow my little Volkswagen Up! on a trailer.
That idea has now been knocked on the head, for various reasons but the main one being the question of trailer storage, both on-site and when at home.
I have looked into cycles, both traditional and electric, but I am now thinking that a good solution for me would be a motorcycle or scooter. (I do have a licence). Although my new Hymer has a large garage I would prefer not to carry the motorcycle in that way. I want to keep the space in the garage for essentials like wine and beer.
My Hymer will have a draw bar so I'm thinking about a motorcycle trailer. A traditional one, not one of these very short ones where the bike is carried in a transverse way.
Can anybody give me any advice or useful tips? Are you able to recommend any particular manufacturers? I emphasise, I am not buying to a price; my main consideration is quality.
If you are interested, the particular motorcycle which has caught my eye is the Honda NSS Forza which is 279cc and weighs in at 194Kg.
Many thanks, in anticipation. Stef.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Use a 125cc and put it in the garage away from prying eyes. We use a SYM jet 4, brilliant little scooter, weighs 102 KGs and I can push it up the ramp backwards ( thats the bike, not me). Last M/H was a Hymer and went in the garage a treat.
Phil

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Got a Kontiki 679 and fit a honda PCX in the garage without too much trouble.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have a easylifter and so far it works a treat with my Vespa 300 gts. A friend has one also and runs a Honds 400 on it. He has been all over Europe and swears by it.

You will see various positive and negative reports when you do a search but I have found the company helpful and the product great. (y)

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
I am selling my m/cycle trailer, it is probably a bit OTT for your needs as it has brakes & suspension Broken Link Removed I store it at our local caravan/motorhome storage place as I don't have room at home. There is a link to Phoenix trailers in the listing, they are about the best you will find.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
My advice would be go for a lighter scooter and a chassis mounted rack. For instance, the Vespa GTS 300 is about 150kg. The rear axle weight may need up-plating though via air assisted suspension and different tyres with higher weight limit.
If you really want a Forza then Motolug do a simple trailer than assembles using clips and pins so storage would not be a problem. It is not

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yes I needed air suspension to stop the motorhome dragging its back end. But that was before the Easylifter was fitted.

Beauty of the system is around 80% of the lifter and bike are carried by the trolley wheels so a minimum is transferred to the rear axle.

Also no problems with reversing (y)

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have a easylifter and so far it works a treat with my Vespa 300 gts. A friend has one also and runs a Honds 400 on it. He has been all over Europe and swears by it.

You will see various positive and negative reports when you do a search but I have found the company helpful and the product great. (y)

I'll second that (y)(y)

Rob

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used to use a Erde PM310 single motorcycle trailer, they tow really well and easy to load.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I have an easylifter and as MikeD said I really like it and have done thousands of miles with it on the back and intend to use it into the future.

Points you may want to consider:-
In Garage - weight limit of M/H gross.
keeps bike clean.
Loading is quite quick.
no extra charges for trailer on ferry/chunnel.

Trailer - Extra cost for ferry/chunnel @£100.
Bike is usually not insured whilst on the trailer.
Reversing can be great fun.
lower speed limits (if it applies to your driving style)

Easylifter - you pay for the extra metreage for ferry/chunnel @£20.
Easy to load.
Takes the weight on its wheels not M/H.
Reversing is dead easy as it follows the M/H no jack knifing.

Hope some of this helps your decision making.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Does'nt the "Bike is usually not insured whilst on the trailer" still apply to the Easilifter?

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
don't know that's a discussion to be had with your insurance company, as the Easylidter is bolted to the M/H , it forms part of the M/H. ?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Funsters,
My original plan was that when I get my new motorhome in the Spring I would tow my little Volkswagen Up! on a trailer.
That idea has now been knocked on the head, for various reasons but the main one being the question of trailer storage, both on-site and when at home.
I have looked into cycles, both traditional and electric, but I am now thinking that a good solution for me would be a motorcycle or scooter. (I do have a licence). Although my new Hymer has a large garage I would prefer not to carry the motorcycle in that way. I want to keep the space in the garage for essentials like wine and beer.
My Hymer will have a draw bar so I'm thinking about a motorcycle trailer. A traditional one, not one of these very short ones where the bike is carried in a transverse way.
Can anybody give me any advice or useful tips? Are you able to recommend any particular manufacturers? I emphasise, I am not buying to a price; my main consideration is quality.
If you are interested, the particular motorcycle which has caught my eye is the Honda NSS Forza which is 279cc and weighs in at 194Kg.
Many thanks, in anticipation. Stef.

Hi Stef. I am selling my Scooter /Motorcycle trailer. It is the self steering castor type and is totally easy to use. I carried a Suzuki Burgman 400 ( 230 kilos) for over 3000 miles and you don't know it is on the back. If you are interested please PM me and I will ring you. You can check it out with the manufacturer at www.easilifter.co.uk
It is just over a year old and is in mint condition throughout. My reason for selling is that we have changed motorhomes so no longer need it.

OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Hi Stef. I am selling my Scooter /Motorcycle trailer. It is the self steering castor type and is totally easy to use. I carried a Suzuki Burgman 400 ( 230 kilos) for over 3000 miles and you don't know it is on the back. If you are interested please PM me and I will ring you. You can check it out with the manufacturer at www.easilifter.co.uk
It is just over a year old and is in mint condition throughout. My reason for selling is that we have changed motorhomes so no longer need it.

Thanks, Wiljoy. P.M sent.

C&G

Free Member
Dec 13, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm using a RoRo trailer, upgraded it last summer to allow ride on ride off, winch lift/lower and stores on its side. Great for bigger bikes, and no extra weight on the rear of the MH, don't forget all carried weight is loading margin.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
canna beat the RoRo trailers.. I have had just about every type of motorcycle moving device you can think of and the RoRo was about 10 times better than anything else..

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Put the bike on a roof rack. That gives you greater choice of options :)

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I use one of these,flat loading and folds in half for storage,you can stand it up on its side at the back of your garage if you have one,pic with my HD and one with my Triumph.
564458_10151179276907435_1141679910_n.jpg
IMG_0253.JPG

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Link Removed

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I had an S1 to start with but now have an S2. In addition to the Wing I have all our riding gear and also the safari room in there, plus if I want I can get a couple of push bikes in. I have fitted a motor mover as it is a big lump to manoeuvre by hand when loaded. It has the added benefit of keeping the bike clean and keeps off prying eyes and fingers.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Anybody wanting a flat loading trailer these are worth a look.Broken Link Removed

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just spotted an EasyLifter Trailer whilst viewing Camper Van Culture Video - End Of Morocco Trip Episode 8, it's 07:37 in.
This fellow does do some fantastic videos, certainly worth watching.

Rob

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have just bought a Suzuki Burgman 400, and we are already planning on towing our 6-wheel turntable steer trailer, we can't tow another one, so it will have to go on the back.

We need to keep the rear doors available as we will be carrying one of our show engines in a compartment on the back, so all we have left is the tow bracket, apparently rated for something well over what we are allowed to tow.

We are planning to use a spare new piece of 6" aluminium extrusion, mounted across the back of the Mercedes and made to pivot down to ground level so we can open the doors and unload with the other two pieces of extrusion.

Got sketches done of how we want to do it, no welding it's all nuts and bolts and pull-pins, the tow bar and lights are not covered or affected.

I'll post some pictures when we start making it up.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back