Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We are staying at a campsite in Montenegro. There is a tiny, very frightened mama and her six puppies living under a old caravan. I have been feeding her for the last week. I had no idea that they had such a stray dog and cat problem here.
I have contacted the local animal rescues here, of course they are all full and I have been advised not to put them there as they are rat holes.

A couple of friends have donated some money and we have managed to secure her and her babies a place for a month in foster care and have her sterilised after she has weaned them. What will happen after that is anybody's guess.
We already have three rescues so cant take her with us.

Just really wanted to know how you all cope with finding strays on your travels? I find it heart breaking, she is such a lovely sweet dog who so desperately wants to be friends but is too frightened to do so!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'd give them a wide berth frankly. Although to be honest, we've never been bothered with any, anywhere we've been!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
We are staying at a campsite in Montenegro. There is a tiny, very frightened mama and her six puppies living under a old caravan. I have been feeding her for the last week. I had no idea that they had such a stray dog and cat problem here.
I have contacted the local animal rescues here, of course they are all full and I have been advised not to put them there as they are rat holes.

A couple of friends have donated some money and we have managed to secure her and her babies a place for a month in foster care and have her sterilised after she has weaned them. What will happen after that is anybody's guess.
We already have three rescues so cant take her with us.

Just really wanted to know how you all cope with finding strays on your travels? I find it heart breaking, she is such a lovely sweet dog who so desperately wants to be friends but is too frightened to do so!

Thank goodness for people like you! :) well done for doing everything you can.

I would also find myself in the same situation, as I could not give any needy animal a wide berth. I couldn't sleep at night.

I wish I could help with suggestions?! :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
What a dilemna. :( My daughter found herself in a similar situation when she went abroad earlier this year and there doesn't seem to be an easy answer. The homes there may not be particularly good but are better than the streets. Are you on a campsite? Is there anyone there prepared to take one? Sorry, it sounds a silly answer but just don't know what advice to give... there are thousands of strays like that abroad and so some may say you won't make any difference ... but to my mind you WILL to the one you can help... Good luck.

Please don't leave us wondering. Please come back and let us know how you go on. Thank you.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Reason I left Cyprus after just 18 months--the appalling cruelty ( dogs and cats poisoned daily) and large number of unwanted animals. Holly (lying next to bowl, in pic) made it out by skin of her teeth. Found her 3 weeks before I left, at deaths door. You can't he them all but sterilising the dog is the best thing you can do for her. Also worm her and pups if they're old enough.

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi and thanks for your words of support, I could never turn my back on them! They are getting picked up tomorrow by volunteers and placed in foster care. There is a few people trying to raise funds to see if they can keep them for as long as possible and hopefully find homes for them! I will keep you updated, they promised to keep me updated.

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Here she is...
IMG_8693.JPG

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well done, dog lovers everywhere would have done something and you have their appreciation.

I have just this minute returned a stray dog to her owners. They only live half a mile away from me but here in the new Forest that is only three houses away and I'd never seen this dog before. I have stock fences to keep the ponies and deer out but of course that meant that once the dog had entered the electric gates when Mrs Popeye was going out she couldn't get out and with about an acre of woodland she took some rounding up.

Thankfully she had tag with name and phone number on it.

She was a very obedient and well natured Border Collie who ran away from their garden this morning when she heard shotguns in the adjoining woodland. One very appreciative old girl and I didn't meet her husband because he was out searching for his bitch.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
it must be heartbreaking.
I haven't much travel experience other than the USA France Germany and the lowlands but a few years ago I went to Bucherest and toured a little of Romania. It broke my heart to see the amount of stray dogs out there. Some of the females with teets touching the ground where they had given birth so many times. There was a stray dog sterilisation program out there.
Sadly in many countries there is not the same animal affection that we have here.

I hope you can get something sorted for these cuties, but I hope the local authorities out there set up there own programs to end this.

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks everyone, The pups are now in foster care for a month, we couldn't catch the Mom. She will take food from my hand but I cant get any closer. A local is coming over with a net tomorrow so fingers crossed!!!

Yes, they so badly need homes. I have three rescues already, I think if I took another I would end up single :cry:
The Mother is the sweetest thing so scared, just hope we can find a good home for her!

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Well done, dog lovers everywhere would have done something and you have their appreciation.

I have just this minute returned a stray dog to her owners. They only live half a mile away from me but here in the new Forest that is only three houses away and I'd never seen this dog before. I have stock fences to keep the ponies and deer out but of course that meant that once the dog had entered the electric gates when Mrs Popeye was going out she couldn't get out and with about an acre of woodland she took some rounding up.

Thankfully she had tag with name and phone number on it.

She was a very obedient and well natured Border Collie who ran away from their garden this morning when she heard shotguns in the adjoining woodland. One very appreciative old girl and I didn't meet her husband because he was out searching for his bitch.

WOW You done well to catch her, Great work all round (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OMG ... that mummy dog is lovely ... she doesn't look very old - what age do you think she is and how big ... my brain is 'ticking' over at the moment about her and if it would be possible to get her back to the UK .... I KNEW I shouldn't have read this thread!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi and thanks for your words of support, I could never turn my back on them! They are getting picked up tomorrow by volunteers and placed in foster care. There is a few people trying to raise funds to see if they can keep them for as long as possible and hopefully find homes for them! I will keep you updated, they promised to keep me updated.
I really wish there were more people like you in the world. I have lived in Crete for several years and now still spend a lot of time there we have exactly the same problem. I do what I can but it's impossible to feed, befriend and rescue every stray dog. Last year I started feeding a stray by our apartment in Crete. She was pregnant and gave birth to 2 pups - 1 died and the other one survived. I managed to find a rescue shelter who rehomes dogs in Germany and they kindly took both of them - they are now in their forever homes in Leipzig and Hanover. I called the mama Agnes and the little one Roly after our dog, who was also a Cretan stray and who died on the same day that the rescue sanctuary came to collect them. I am currently in Crete feeding 12 stray cats and 2 stray dogs. Here is a photo of Agnes and little Roly.
Agnes and Roly 2 in the garden.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're complete suckers for stray cats, which we encountered a lot on our recent trip to Spain. We'll usually feed them for the duration of our stay on a site, and most become friendly. Our favourites were a little gang at the only campsite in Ronda, and I believe other funsters have met them. Some real characters there - the otherwise cheerful lady in reception couldn't stand them, but they were popular with the clients.

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
OMG ... that mummy dog is lovely ... she doesn't look very old - what age do you think she is and how big ... my brain is 'ticking' over at the moment about her and if it would be possible to get her back to the UK .... I KNEW I shouldn't have read this thread!

I would say she is two years at the very most. She is about just over a foot tall. And Yes, it would be possible to get her there, it can be done in a relay. I know someone who is driving to Belgium soon from here, plus I know of people across Europe who would be willing to foster until a transport can be arranged with one of the vans. It would take some work but it can be done with the help of some of my friends and other groups.

She so wants to be loved! I know I keep saying it but she is so sweet and so sad!! If you could take her it would be wonderful as I don't believe she ever had a home!

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We're complete suckers for stray cats, which we encountered a lot on our recent trip to Spain. We'll usually feed them for the duration of our stay on a site, and most become friendly. Our favourites were a little gang at the only campsite in Ronda, and I believe other funsters have met them. Some real characters there - the otherwise cheerful lady in reception couldn't stand them, but they were popular with the clients.
When we first moved to Slovenia we where over run with sick stays cats, I took so many to the vet to get them sterilised. After that the population died down a lot but I do think that the local farmers put down poison for them every so often

OP
OP
Haloze

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I really wish there were more people like you in the world. I have lived in Crete for several years and now still spend a lot of time there we have exactly the same problem. I do what I can but it's impossible to feed, befriend and rescue every stray dog. Last year I started feeding a stray by our apartment in Crete. She was pregnant and gave birth to 2 pups - 1 died and the other one survived. I managed to find a rescue shelter who rehomes dogs in Germany and they kindly took both of them - they are now in their forever homes in Leipzig and Hanover. I called the mama Agnes and the little one Roly after our dog, who was also a Cretan stray and who died on the same day that the rescue sanctuary came to collect them. I am currently in Crete feeding 12 stray cats and 2 stray dogs. Here is a photo of Agnes and little Roly.View attachment 49096

Thanks:) You too by the sounds of it are doing great work! Do you get help with the costs? I don't know about the costs where you are but its expensive this side of Europe. Dog food cost more here than in the UK.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Someone, don't know who, once said something like this,

"The English are a funny nation, they lavish care on their pets, but send their children to Boarding School!"

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Oh heck Mel, she looks so young to be a mum, will you be thinking she could join you, lovley little dog.m

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Thanks:) You too by the sounds of it are doing great work! Do you get help with the costs? I don't know about the costs where you are but its expensive this side of Europe. Dog food cost more here than in the UK.
A friend who has a restaurant gives me the salmon carcass about once every 10 days which I strip down and it feeds the cats for a couple of days, but this is only available during the summer season as the restaurant closes in the winter. I share the feeding of the cats with our (Greek!) neighbour and he is here all year round so they still get fed, albeit less, when I'm not here. With regards to the dogs, I get the dog food from Lidl so it's not too expensive plus they have scraps as well. Strays are a huge problem in many Mediterranean countries and it upsets me greatly, but, as I said before, you can only do what you can. Hope it works out well for your mama dog and her little ones - good luck and please let us know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back