A favour anyone ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`ve seen a Hymer for sale in Seaford East Sussex that I like the look of, trouble is it`s a 470 mile round trip !!!
I wondered if anyone with some motorhome knowledge living in the area would be willing to give it a once over for me and let me know if it`s worth the effort of getting down there.
It`s a busy time of year for everyone I know and I wouldn`t like to think I was putting anyone out but it would be useful if there was someone nearby willing to give it a quick 10 minute once over.
By the way it`s a private sale.
Thanks
Chris

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Chris,
Seafords about 20 miles from me, which model Hymer is it ? (as a fellow Hymer owner, I may have seen it about)
Quite willing to have a look.............certainly not any sort of expert though. :)

Wouldn't be able to get over there until sat......but if I can help.......
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Guys,
Andy - It`s a B584 on ebay, have a look. If your willing to go, I will see if the seller is around on Saturday. I`m quite happy to reimburse you for petrol etc. I don`t expect an expert appraisal, just an opinion if it looks a genuine vehicle, fairly tidy and worth taking further. I`ve not done a PM before on here but I will give it a try with more info when I hear from seller.
If you change your mind or find yourself too busy, no problem, like I said I don`t want to cause inconvenience or put you out at all.
Rob - Tomorrows probably a bit too soon, I`d have to arrange things with the seller and see when is convenient for him.
Wildman - I may do that but would prefer to see it first if it seems like a good `un.

Thanks to all - Chris

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I`ve not done a PM before on here but I will give it a try
click on the members name under their avatar and then click on start new conversation. as easy as posting to a thread

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Chris, just out of curiosity you could have a look at toledo post he bought a 584 last week and put pictures of it on today so could be something to compare it with, I will bump the post up so you can see. We have had a 584 for 9 years a great van.

It's under a New motorhome.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Carol, People do seem to think very highly of the Hymer judging by the comments. Toledo`s looks really good and seems like it`s been reupholstered. That`s where I`ve been disappointed with some Hymers I looked at, the upholstery can be really unappealing ! That and some of the interior plastic trims turning a strange yellow colour. Is there a remedy for the discolouring, does it clean up or can it be treated do you know. Maybe all the ones I looked at belonged to smokers !

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Chris, 14 years old and the upholstery does get a bit tired , but I have never come across any yellowing and ours is just the same as we bought it 10yars ago, taken a couple of months ago, just to give you a guide.
image.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
maybe smokers in a few cases, but its a chemical leaching out of the plastic and uv degradation that makes it yellow normally. sometimes an abrasive cleaner like cif will rejuvenate the parts but it doesnt work long term. on some parts like sinks and shower trays its best to clean them thoroughly and paint them

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Toledo's Hymer is immaculate for its age and the upholstery is a really good job. I would say their photos would be a good benchmark for comparison to other models of similar age.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
My B644 is '1989 reg and certainly has no yellowing trim.............mind you, nearly all trim is wood. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If it's the grey 2004 model photographed in front of what looks like a wooden barn conversion, then I would say it appears to be in good condition from the pictures. Quite a lot of extras fitted as well. Worth a look I would have thought if it's the layout you want (bar-style with a third swivel chair).
Regarding yellowing, this can happen. Mine is a 2003 B630 with a large skylight in the shower room - no window. Inevitably, there has been some yellowing of the white plastic mouldings caused by UV light. Not really a problem as long as you don't have to fit new bits which would look a bit 'stark' against the 'mature' fittings.
The internal fittings and cupboards on a Hymer of that vintage are of good quality and there should be no reason to expect degradation other than fair wear and tear. At 24,500 miles, it's barely run in!

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hmm, that's nice...........certainly one heck of a lot of extra's, fitted, as you say, Philip.
Obviously been well looked after, and sensible additions.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes thats the one I`ve seen. I`m going to try and see it but I don`t think I can get there until the new year.
Andy (funster) has said he may be able to look at it for me before then so that would be useful.
Regarding the bar style layout, is this thought to be a layout that works well for two ? I don`t think I`ve looked closely at that layout so I would probably do well to have a look at another B584 locally before driving all the way to Seaford.
Does anyone know who would do a professional inspection & report on it in that area, or is it just a case of speaking to the local MH dealer who I presume do them for a fee. maybe there are independants?
Chris

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Chris, the guys from AMC are local to Seaford.
They service/sell Mh's...........(at the mo they are fitting a Unibrake system to car, then my Hymer. Will most probably use them for my servicing needs, also as I've a mate who speaks highly of the work they do.
Will look out their details and ping them on to you.

Andy

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We had a 584 Hymer for 3 years loved the layout, long lounge seat and both front seats swivel with a fixed table and another swivel seat for dinette table, we fitted an oven and gaslow, Hymers are very sturdy and well made, only reason we sold it was we wanted a fixed bed, so we now have a Rapido.
Couple of photos of layout attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 40

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
This really is what being a member of this forum is about :h:

Reactions: CWH

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a link to an owner's review of a B640 Star-Line which also has a bar layout and rear kitchen. It may give you some ideas to consider. The review is quite old and I have seen this owner posting about a different motorhome since (Rapido I think) but I cannot remember whether it was on 'Fun' or the 'other side' when I was also a member there.
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/reviews/Hymer640/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back