Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Carado A366
Exp
Hi.

I am looking at buying a motorhome. It is a 2010 Hymer Carado A366 7 berth.

For some reason it only has 4 seatbelts including the driver and passenger. Most of the time this will be fine, but on the odd occasion we will need to carry an additional 2 passengers.

The 2 rear seatbelts are on 2 forward facing seats. Another forward facing seat and the 3 rear facing seats do not have belts.

We will do most of our travelling in UK, but also intend on touring France and even Portugal.

What is the legal requirement in the UK and abroad?

Is it possibly to SAFELY and LEGALLY fit 2 extra seat belts, assuming the work is completed by a professional?

Thanks

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jeffrey, you might struggle to find enough forward facing seats. take a look Broken Link Removedrmation (y) Oh, and welcome to the fun, let's hope you're asking for a name change soon :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
retro fitting of seatbelts in a motorhome is a minefield, expensive and thats if it's even possible..
We read lots of questions like this all the time, i have never seen anyone post back to say they have had the job done...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

JeffreyNoMotorhome

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Carado A366
Exp
Why do they need to be forward facing? I have seen most motorhomes with more seatbelts and 2 are generally rear facing lap belts. They seemed safe.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi Jeffrey and welcome.

Extra seatbelts have been discussed here a few times and you will get a definitive answer from someone who knows more than me.

If it is possible to have them put in will depend on your particular motorhome. Seatbelts need to be attached to proper mounting plates ideally onto the chassis (from what I recall). NEVER EVER EVER attach a seatbelt to a sideways facing seats.

Extra seatbelt fitting is not a job for an amateur and you would probably have to return the vehicle to the manufacturer as most dealers would not touch the job because of liability.

What I would also suggest is that you check the weight of your motorhome against the plate - and your driving entitlement as per your license.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
At the risk of raising another issue that you may already have considered, does the Carrado have sufficient payload to carry six people and their accompanying gear? I have looked at a few used ads online and the ones that mention it, suggest they are plated at 3,500 kg GVW. That suggests that although they may have the space for six (or even seven) people, the vans may not have the weight capacity to carry them. Perhaps you are looking at one with a higher plated GVW or might be able to have it uprated.

p.s. should have said 'welome to Fun' - of course.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why do they need to be forward facing? I have seen most motorhomes with more seatbelts and 2 are generally rear facing lap belts. They seemed safe.

Sorry, yes I meant to say rear and forward facing. Sideways seats belts are not recommended.

OP
OP
J

JeffreyNoMotorhome

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Carado A366
Exp
Thank for the info.

As for the weight, I have seen plenty of 3500kg vans with 6 belted seats. this is going to be such a rarity for us; it might be an occasional day out more than anything with 6. This particular van also has 4 wheels at the back so presumably might be able to be uprated if need be. Either way I really need 6 seatbelts just for the what if scenario.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank for the info.

As for the weight, I have seen plenty of 3500kg vans with 6 belted seats. this is going to be such a rarity for us; it might be an occasional day out more than anything with 6. This particular van also has 4 wheels at the back so presumably might be able to be uprated if need be. Either way I really need 6 seatbelts just for the what if scenario.
Again, it may have six belts but that doesnt mean you have carrying capacity for six and at 3500kg i would think you are pushing the limit with four people onboard.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As for the weight, I have seen plenty of 3500kg vans with 6 belted seats.
You may well have, but its what they weigh with someone in them that matters. I had a motorhome with 10 sets of seatbelts. Had they all had someone in them, along with some luggage we'd have been over the payload.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And don't trust what you are told about the weight of the vehicle. Insist in a weighbridge ticket. Many 4 berths are overweight with just driver and navigator.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Using the normal allowance of 75kg per passenger. 6x75 = 450kg. Add a bit for minimal fuel, water, clothes, all the other crap gear that none of us seem to be able to do without. Call it 600kg being very optimistic. Be interested to see a 3500kg motorhome with 600kg payload.

EDIT: I mean payload confirmed on a weigh bridge not the nonsense the converter puts on the paperwork.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I was quoted £5,000 to have a seat belt fitted legally by a company in West Bromwich in the Midlands. We had not purchased the van at the time and they did say they would need to check the van first and do the right checks ect so we decided that the van would have worked out to expensive and had to give up on the idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back