Have you got an MH aide-memorie checklist? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
When I started motorhoming, I found that I needed a checklist; mainly because I was new to the game, but part OCD! In addition, I used a vehicle/equipment checklist at work. Use one in aviation too, so I've always found them useful.

Because I can't routinely leave everything on the van, I found that there were so many things to check and it was easy to forget something; matches or a gas lighting wand for example (have electric ignition for the cooker now!). Wouldn't be the first time that I hadn't closed the drain cock, wondering why it took so long to fill with fresh water! My favourite leave-behinds were electrical and 12v adaptors or phone chargers. This was in the days before I could go on the mump to Funster's.

Over time, I've added, subtracted and refined the checklist. I now have a small flip-list that I've laminated. Until I update and re-laminate, any additions get added with a fine nibbed marker, or struck through if I no longer carried.

Anyone else got one? Or do I need treatment for OCD :D

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Actually we all helped Jim compile one years ago, it has many lists.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's a good idea and I've got one for my cycling trips but despite planning to I've not yet produced one for the MH.

What would be useful would be a "take off" checklist. For example, step retracted, 'fridge to battery, roof lights closed, etc.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I like to forget non critical things then i will either adapt it borrow till I can get what's needed. Not something I would loose sleep over, until two yrs ago we travelled Europe on motorbikes carrying everything for two people including tents and cooking equipment and we always forgot thing's.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Real men don't need a list.

Now what did I forget last time?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Got a "leaving site" checklist......................................more will follow. To be placed on a clipboard with a chinagraph pencil. That should put the kids off trying to borrow it.

Mind, the daughter did ask if she and her husband could borrow it for a week next year. "Certainly" I said, "which would you like first, the written test or the practical?"

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Getting our list started as I type and we haven't picked up the van yet!,

I also do kayak camping and due to having next to no space I find a list a lifesaver even listing which locker holds which items, get a fair bit of p*** taking off my mates though then the cheeky buggers ask to borrow something they forgot!

ashamed to say yes that was all my clutter in front of the nearest boat and it all fitted in, cut down massively now though.

Andy

Attachments

• River Wye Exp 2010 009.jpg
    River Wye Exp 2010 009.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 32

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
My parents passed on the reminder they used to use for there final check before driving off and it seems to work for me.

F - Fridge change over
A - Arial retracted
G - Gas off
S - Step in

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
First time I ever drove the motorhome ( any motorhome) was a few weeks after my OH died in a road accident. For some reason I'd got it into my head I had to drive it from the Pyrenees ( where we lived) to the UK. I phoned a British lady I'd met at a friends house as I remembered her saying they'd owned a motorhome. Her husband ( ex RAF) gave me a quick driving lesson then walked me round a check list. Walk round the outside checking windows, lockers, gas off, step up, nothing loose. Then walk round inside-clockwise-- checking each drawer, cupboard, window, skylight. Nothing loose to fall out/off. As he did it visually it stuck in my addled mind and two days later I set off for the UK with the animals. Made it back ok, mostly on autopilot I think.
Still do the same check and it's never let me down.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I put mine on here a while ago, it changes occasionally but I print off a copy and tick things off as we load, usually starting a couple of days before we depart.

Edit: Oh a check list, I thought you meant a check list. For leaving a site it's a 10 minute job to pack away and walk round the van to check flaps, ramps etc are all closed and packed away.

Attachments

• Loading Checklist - Public.pdf
    254.6 KB · Views: 106

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
For setting off from home all we really have to do is empty house fridge into van and put EHU cable away.. But we have a small checklist for leaving sites that works for us.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
meds
bottle opener
ice
peanuts (in case we need some food)
mankini
job done :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Now as an answer to the OP: I try to buy all I need and leave it in the motorhome.
Even shoes, wellies, tools.
I have my house on one side and on the other one is the motorhome. Each to its own. I don't have everything I need in the motorhome yet but once it'll be done ...no check list.

If I want to remove things like food I have 2 large boxes I bought to put all in (called MAX 1 and MAX 2;)) , so I know exactly what I have removed. If there are things which might go off, then I replace them instantly by new ones taking more time to go off.

All my personal things like perfume or other "lady" things stay in the motorhome bathroom. I have them at home too.
I find it easier that way .
A bit expensive at the beginning but after all is settled what a peace of mind ..... now I just need my B****y motorhome to work !!!! But this is another story!:whistle:

Frankie(y):cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
It's a good idea and I've got one for my cycling trips but despite planning to I've not yet produced one for the MH.

What would be useful would be a "take off" checklist. For example, step retracted, 'fridge to battery, roof lights closed, etc.

I have this one stuck with a magnet on my dash board .
It says too before parking on a layby ... watch out for trees and big holes!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. First van we bought had one in German on the door..
Thought it was a good idea so made up my own list when we got the new van..
Stuck it up and diligently forgot to check it every bloody time!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Please..... what is OCD ???
Sorry to be a pain on an English forum, where you are supposed to talk only to English people all knowing what it means....I try my best to learn but all these letters......

Amicalement

Frankie

It stands for obsessive compulsive disorder Frankie:)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
She does inside, I do outside. No tea bags, down to her, no gas, down to me
When fridge empties contents on floor at first corner, her fault.
When side locker spews, surf boards, wet suit, ground sheet in road, my fault.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yep, we have packing and "take off" check lists - plus a "what to do when getting home" list.

Invaluable even if most things become automatic.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Getting our list started as I type and we haven't picked up the van yet!,

I also do kayak camping and due to having next to no space I find a list a lifesaver even listing which locker holds which items, get a fair bit of p*** taking off my mates though then the cheeky buggers ask to borrow something they forgot!

ashamed to say yes that was all my clutter in front of the nearest boat and it all fitted in, cut down massively now though.

Andy

Been there, done that. Most equipment duplicated, one set in each boat! The same for cycling.

We've even had stewards and safety officials come and "borrow" stuff knowing we would have it and spares. My kayak was always known as "The Mothership" as it has everything.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
SWMBO has lists about lists. Seems to work though.

What I do have is a notice that says "ALARM" that I leave in a prominent position if we put the alarm on when going to sleep (eg when wildcamping) so I don't set off the alarm accidentally when we get up.
When I had a van with legs I had a second notice that said "LEGS".

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I feel like I ought to have one every time I write a new one from scratch, but I never get round to it.

One trick I do is if the satellite dish is up I leave a dish on the dashboard to remind me.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't have a list -Wife used to tell me what to put in the van and send me out around 20 times to put things into it.Then send me out again to check what I put in ---all her stuff may I add :)She would send me out to put her clothes in then again to add her underwear,then Tablets/meds,then again and again --Tried to put items in the hall so I could make one or two trips but no she would not have any of it,giving instructions as to which cupboard things go in etc etc --Now on my own-
So far this yr all I have forgot to pack is socks and underwear (bought some new from asda) and this weekend my leccy razor (bought some bic type things that felt like it was ripping my face off )I have managed to remember to lock the fridge (DAVID;))and all the cupboards,put the kettle away etc -not bothered as to gas on or off or if drain tap is open or closed :DThink I have covered everything else :)
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
At times I wish I had OCD as in obsessive cleaning disorder---then I'd be happy to scrub my house for hours instead of thinking sod it, I'm off to the beach.
If ever you do get it you are welcome to my house any time :D
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back