Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi,
Our Hymer Exsis i 578 was first registered November 2012 in Germany prior to import by our dealer to UK the following spring.

We have used her regularly for mostly short trips & have only just done 3000 miles. As far as I know a service is not officially due. However, I tend to be a belt, braces and a piece of string sorta bloke & wondered whether a first service at a good dealer would be wise despite the low milage. (It's on a Fiat 2.3 150bhp Ducato chassis).

We are moving permanently to France Jan/Feb 2015 & will have our annual hab check done soon.

Thanks,

Roger

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Come to think of it, isn't an annual service part of the warranty requirements for the base vehicle?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Not as far as I know on the Hymer, I'm sure the dealer would have said. I think last year it was damp, water & gas checks-I don't think the dealer is an authorised Fiat motor engineer. I could be wrong so I'll check it out.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had completed only 3000 miles in the first year but still booked my van in for a basic mini service as required by Peugeot to maintain the warranty. Hab service also necessary for the warranty (Swift). Both were done by franchised dealers.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 2012 2.3 Fiat (15k milo) and when I spoke with Fiat they said after two years.

The Fiat dealer checked it over this year and basically only changed the oil and associated filter. (y)

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Just had our Habitation check & all OK. The chassis service check is certainly not part of the Hymer Hab check. Our dealer said there's only any point in having the Fiat service if you like spending money to have an expensive oil change that isn't necessary at just over 3000 miles provided you've used it regularly. We have used it regularly and are full-timing at the moment.

Since we are off to France for extended house-hunting in January 2015 I think I may have a 'be on the safe side check'. I do tend to be a belt, braces & a piece of string person!

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We have a 2012 2.3 Fiat (15k milo) and when I spoke with Fiat they said after two years.

The Fiat dealer checked it over this year and basically only changed the oil and associated filter. (y)

Did you notice any difference after the service? I know years ago a much earlier service was recommended once the engine was run in? Having to run in your engine seems to belong to a past era. We've only done 3200 miles so I do wonder.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Did you notice any difference after the service? I know years ago a much earlier service was recommended once the engine was run in? Having to run in your engine seems to belong to a past era. We've only done 3200 miles so I do wonder.

No - No difference at all. We had it done purely to protect the warranty. Its cost around £140.

Regarding running in - all my previous diesels (Cars) were not really "run in" until around 30k miles. They became smoother and pulled stronger in my opinion. (Now waiting to be shot down :eek:)

I suspect, alas reaching 30k miles will be a year or three further away for us. :(

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks Mike. Does the Fiat Warranty say 2 years? Ours is a 2.3 150bhp automatic. I guess I'd better contact the local Fiat dealer who also do camper service.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They tried to sell us annual service for safety reasons but I pressed them and told them I only want to meet warranty obligations. Because of low miles they came back with two years. Not in writing though :(

Def recommend speaking with Fiat, not the dealer you intend to use first though.

Mine is a 2.3 manual.

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi,
As an update I used the Fiat Ducato Camper App, spoke to a lady in US on their Helpline-very helpful. She said the service schedule said 20000 miles for a private vehicle, 40000 miles for a commercial vehicle OR 2 years. So we're booked in at our local Fiat Camper service dealer on Wednesday. Very much a 'safe side' rather than a necessary service I think. But 'better safe than sorry' as my mum used to say-wise but annoying at the time! :)

Thanks everyone,

Roger

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
My understanding is the Fiat service schedule is for a service at 28ooo miles or two years however, an annual oil change is recommended regardless of mileage.

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
I've just checked the Owner's Handbook & it does say service at 30000miles or 24 months. Service includes changing the oil, the oil, air & pollen filters together with lots of important safety checks of brakes, condition of toothed timing drive belt etc that all sound pretty important to me! We're booked in for the service on Wednesday & I'm really pleased I asked the question.

So thanks all,

Roger

OP
OP
DrRogerRam
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Just as an up date. The cost was £372. However, all the filters & oil were changed as well as everything you can think of being checked.

Peace of mind for France in January 2015 together with Aldi snow chains to be on the safe side. Not that I'm intending to drive in snow if I can help it!!!

Roger

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My understanding is the Fiat service schedule is for a service at 28ooo miles or two years however, an annual oil change is recommended regardless of mileage.

Agree......just get the basic interim service. My 2nd one due March 2015 and garage tried to tell me its a major £450 service at 2 years (citroen X250) popped into another garage, told him its only done 14000 and he said low milage service @ £140

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back