Problem with getting fresh water/ Water pump (1 Viewer)

Bevmezo

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
York
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Hello, please can someone help us with some advice. We have a CI Caricoa, which we have had for a few months. It's our first Motorhome and we are therefore VERY inexperienced.
We are currently in York and we are having some problems with our water situation. It was our first overnight stay last night. We have used the water a few times previously and it worked. We filled the tank up yesterday and when we tried to use the water we only got what was sitting in the pipes and no more. We can hear the pump when it is switched on but we are not sure if it is as noisy as before or a bit quieter? We have tried leaving the bathroom tap open for 5 minutes but still no water. If you think it's an air block could someone please tell us the easiest way to clear it? Or does anyone have any suggestions please. Thanks.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, make sure the dump valve is shut, if its open you will see water coming out under the van, normally near the boiler.
Close all taps except one, I start with the kitchen open then turn pump until water comes through, then close it and do the same in the bathroom.

Oh and welcome to motorhome fun, if you subscribe, it will be the best £10 you ever spent. Bob.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Could be you need a non return valve in line from the water tank. This happened to me once when I renewed a pump. Easy to fit and whale make them for around £ 5
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Best guess is the same as Bob's; the water heater frost drain valve. If this is open (most open automatically when it gets cold) you'll get no water pressure. You could just have a stubborn airlock though. Open all the taps, they'll splutter but you should get there in the end. You could try removing the shower head and blowing down the water pipe. Once one tap is running the others start behaving quickly. (y)

Best of luck, if you need more help just shout, meanwhile welcome to the fun. :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I presume this is a fixed pump not a whale type? the whales respond well to being plunged up and down in the water.. I presume you can't do that with a fixed pump...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its a fixed diaphragm pump as is common on most vans, the rubber diaphragm itself perishes but you can buy a service kit reasonably cheaply

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
if its a fixed diaphragm pump as is common on most vans, the rubber diaphragm itself perishes but you can buy a service kit reasonably cheaply

My van isn't common then woo...

Good luck, hope you get water soon..

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If it's been cold , I think it's something like 6c, and if you have an Automatic Dump Valve then that could be the problem It could be under the seat in the dinette, mines buried among the heater tubes, CHECK under the Van first tho for water running out when the pump is running

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Turn off all taps.
Open shower tap and set to cold only and remove shower head.
SUCK HARD on the shower hose while the pump is running until you get water....you'll know when the pump starts pumping :rolleyes:

If you get water close the tap and move on to another.

If you get no water refer to above posts re...dump valve etc.

OP
OP
B

Bevmezo

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
York
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Thank you so much!! The tank was empty duh! So looks like this is what had happened. We have put a peg on the system now as we have read that this will stop it from dumping the water again and it was not cold enough for the water to freeze. Just hope that we have not damaged the pump as our's is not sure flow. Well on to the next watering hole to find out. We are living in here for a year now so your advice was invaluable. Thank you again so much. Oh hubby is thinking of getting a spare pump to take along with us as most of the year will be spent in Europe. Do you think it's a good idea? Seems like we have loads of spares for things already.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We've been involved with MH's for just a few years and after a couple of extended trips we realised we'd be stuffed if 2 items broke down 1) the water pump and 2) gas regulator
So now we carry a spare of each.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you so much!! The tank was empty duh! So looks like this is what had happened. We have put a peg on the system now as we have read that this will stop it from dumping the water again and it was not cold enough for the water to freeze. Just hope that we have not damaged the pump as our's is not sure flow. Well on to the next watering hole to find out. We are living in here for a year now so your advice was invaluable. Thank you again so much. Oh hubby is thinking of getting a spare pump to take along with us as most of the year will be spent in Europe. Do you think it's a good idea? Seems like we have loads of spares for things already.

Been there,did that on our very first trip :LOL:Makes you feel a right Prairie Hat doesn't it.
Obviously carrying a spare means you can sort problem straight away,but,wherever you are in (most of) Europe you are never very far from a caravan or motorhome dealer who would have something to keep you going.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is best to buy a pump while you can do it in comfort from home at a good price. Chances are when you are desperate you'll get fleeced too.
I can get a Shurflo for mine at £52 delivered. How many dealers ? especially when you're stranded

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I carry a spare, bought when I thought the original was getting very noisy and on the way out. We tried to get one in Spain but nobody carried the same model, although if it had failed I could have adapted what was available. Survived until we got home.

Oh, and the noise was one of the pipes banging on a bulkhead.......... Bit of rag cured that.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for coming back on with the update as not everyone does. Yes the peg trick works but be careful not to leave it on when theres no water heating. If you leave the hot water on it wont dump.

I carry a spare pump too (well i used to when I was married and had a van) hust in case as a few years ago ours went over christmas while we were away. Luckily we stayed on my freidns pub car park in the middle of the lovely norfolk countryside. So we had to go and purchase some water carriers. We managed OK and had a laugh. Just make sure you have the tolls and fittings to change it

No those sureflow pumps are verey well built and are run dry (its only a diaphragm goingh to and fro)

Good luck and happy travels

Phill

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you went on. These threads are very educational for those of us who may not NOW have the problem but know it could be around the corner.

OP
OP
B

Bevmezo

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
York
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Hi again when I was saying we will get a Shurflo pump as a replacement / spare I did not think about it to much lol. Our current water pump is an Aqua 8 - 1.5 bar - 1.4 amps - 12v open flow 61/min ) none of this means nothing to me being clueless about these things & hubby is just as bad. would such pump be compatible with this Shurflo pump?
Broken Link Removed

I called a Shurflo pump supplier & they asked what the PSI is but I cannot see this on the pump. Also if I go from an Aqua 8 pump to a Shurflo pump do you think we would need any alterations to the pipe work etc. the pump is located under the seats, the boiler is located under the bed.

your help would be grateful - Thanks

OP
OP
B

Bevmezo

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
York
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Thanks for the quick reply. can anyone else clarify if this is correct - do you think we would need alterations to the pipe work etc for a new Shurflo pump

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back