Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have finally managed to get an new laptop after 11 months with an awful Fujitsu Seimen horrid thing noew got a 17 in screen HP and love it so far.

Now before I send the old one back how do I tranfers data from old one (bought some 4.7 gb discs) the wipe the old data?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
would be much quicker using a data stick john.
just plug it in, upload the files, plug it in your new lappy and download to where-ever you want 'em.

if you use discs just drag files to your disc writer.

dont forget you will need any programs that open the old files installing on your new lappy....especially word documents.

photos could take a long time to write to disc if the files are large.

good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have the RECOVERY DISC for the old one then run that through and it will PERMENENTLY delete ALL saved data.
i could still be embedded on the hard drive but would take some work to get it out.
much safer than just deleting it.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi John,
If you're using Vista you can use the Windows Easy Transfer. If it's XP then it's the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Both do considerably more than just the files.

Regards
Doug

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Hi Roadrunner,

If you are using the DVD's to do the transfer and you want to take all the settings over and both are vista then use Windows Easy Transfer:-

Windows Easy Transfer is a step-by-step guide for transferring files and settings from one computer running Windows to another. It helps you choose what to transfer to your new computer, such as user accounts, Internet favorites, and e‑mail contacts. It also helps you decide which method to use and then performs the transfer.

Open Windows Easy Transfer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Windows Easy Transfer.* Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you are Using XP then go to System tools and use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Hope this helps mate.

Best Regards,

Mark.

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Lol, Doug, you beat me to it mate! :ROFLMAO: Good Job:thumb:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Both are vista but how will they transfer? by a lead or bluetooth or what?

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Both are vista but how will they transfer? by a lead or bluetooth or what?

If you follow the guide above mate you might find it easier to use the disks and will be prompted for them as the wizard works its magic.

Mark.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have used 4.7gb 8X discs for music but although looks as though all fine label wise wont play properly

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have used 4.7gb 8X discs for music but although looks as though all fine label wise wont play properly

To be fully compatible the DVD's need to be finalised.
Has this been done John?

BTW Use a program called CCLEANER to delete all the index.dat and temp files Browser history and passwords/cookies etc.

It's a free download.

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
get yourself a laptop hardrive caddy - about £9

whip the hard drive out of the old machine and put it into the caddy

plug it into your new machine and it will see it as an extra drive

drag and drop

easyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Lol, Doug, you beat me to it mate! :ROFLMAO: Good Job:thumb:

Hi Mark,

Only beat you because you put a full description in! The follow-up advice was spot on as well.

At work we use the User State Migration Toolkit. All three move over the data, email, settings, accounts etc. Saves hours of trying to remember all of the setting tweaks made over time. Picks up data stored in unexpected places as well.

Regards
Doug

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
OLD Hard Drive

Hi

For your security, should you be "selling on" the Old laptop:-

Don`t know if you are aware BUT just deleting stuff from the Hard Disk drive of a machine DOES NOT remove it. it`s still there, and with the right (and not so soffisicated) software can be recovered, RE-FORMATTING the drive is better (full NOT Quick Formatt). The ultimate way is to use a programme to write "garbage" to the WHOLE drive,then formatt the drive.

NOT cleaning the old hard drive in this manner leaves you open to having your personal details abused, a bit like not shredding your personal paper except that the criminal doesnt have to ferret in your dustbin!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back