Euro Tunnel 3.5t Weight Limit (1 Viewer)

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Every year I use the tunnel for our summer hols, I have always booked online.
However this year I thought I would use Tesco vouchers.
So I got the required amount of vouchers and rang EuroTunnel, everything is going fine then the chap on the phone asks me the weight of my van. At this point an alarm bell went off in my head, this was a loaded question. So I asked why does he need to know that, online booking form does not ask that question. He replies over 3.5t should travel on the freight service. At this point I told a tiny white lie and said I was 3.5t. I would not usually tell a porky about such a thing, however given that the Eurotunnel website nevers asks that question in my own mind justified a slight bending of the truth. I did not want to get lumbered between all the frieght and pay extra for the pleasure.

I have since looked at the T's and C's and it does state that 3.5t is the weight limit on the passenger service, I wonder why the booking form does not ask that question.

Has anybody else been travelling on the tunnel blissfully unaware of this rule?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Dunno they just sort you by height on checking in. Weight has never been a question.

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
hi. i have never had any issues with them, i book on as normal rv and trailer, 18 mtres lenght, 23 ton, weight, always same as normal,:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We booked yesterday they dident ask us and we are 5t

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
the weight limit does not apply to campervans, only to vans over 3500 which then have to book as freight. My Campervan is 4000kgs and never had an issue travelling with them over six times in the last two years. I have seen many campervans larger than mine on the tunnel, and coaches full of kids to..all in the passenger service..

I suspect the guy you spoke to got confused with the van weight limit they have which I believe is applied to commercial vehicles. If it was an issue for campervans it would be on the website booking. Its all here in the FAQ's

Hope this helps...cheers Steve

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Just borrowed this from another forum site Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Used to take our massive Hymer on the ordinary service no problem. We were usually in the same compartment as a coach as us plus coach filled the compartment.

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
I suspect the guy you spoke to got confused with the van weight limit they have which I believe is applied to commercial vehicles. If it was an issue for campervans it would be on the website booking. Its all here in the FAQ's
Hope this helps...cheers Steve
I got half way through the telephone booking earlier this year when I realised he thought we were a private van and not a campervan as I had said it was a Citroen Relay, but soon sorted it out.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We boil the leccy kettle using the inverter for freshly brewed tea!!!

That's why I love this site................more new info, but what wattage do you need?(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have a 950w kettle from a caravan shop.

The inverter is a 2100 Ring quasi-sine wave job rated at a continuous 2100w. It handles the load with ease.

Ta for that, I don't think my current (see what I did there) set up would handle that but yet another plan for the future!(y)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Just seen this thread. Just out of interest I used to have a semi retirement job as a continental courier. We were booked to go away when I was asked to take some aircraft parts to St. Rochelle. When I booked my ticket I told them it was a MH but carrying freight. No problem they said. When I wen't to check-in I was then told the duty manager had a thing about MHs and would want to see it. After a lot of grunts and other noises he decided the body (2008 Chausson) had too higher calorific value1:xblink: and transferred me to tourist. Any other DM we would probably have been OK.

Malcolm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back