Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Woody 1.png
Woody 2.png

Up at our lodge in the Lakes, have tried for months to catch this guy on camera but the moment I move he is gone.
Today he appears and I realise I have forgotten my camera, set up on a tripod ready to use, (so cannot zoom in).
Grabbed my phone and took a couple of pics, results not too bad.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
:)Hi,PaulyP a few years back it was a summer evening and very sunny when I heard an almighty bang on the bedroom window I thought it was the kid at the back playing and thought no more about it and went in to my back garden and there laid out flat was a woodpecker I picked it up and put it in a shoe box it was still alive but unconscious, I put it in a warm place and the next morning when I opened the box it took off like a rocket I think a lesser bird would have not survived the tremendous impact.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
View attachment 48292 View attachment 48293

Up at our lodge in the Lakes, have tried for months to catch this guy on camera but the moment I move he is gone.
Today he appears and I realise I have forgotten my camera, set up on a tripod ready to use, (so cannot zoom in).
Grabbed my phone and took a couple of pics, results not too bad.

Cracking pic Pauly, I think that's a female though, can't see a red mark on the back of the head. If the female's visiting the chances are the male does too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
:)Hi,PaulyP a few years back it was a summer evening and very sunny when I heard an almighty bang on the bedroom window I thought it was the kid at the back playing and thought no more about it and went in to my back garden and there laid out flat was a woodpecker I picked it up and put it in a shoe box it was still alive but unconscious, I put it in a warm place and the next morning when I opened the box it took off like a rocket I think a lesser bird would have not survived the tremendous impact.

You're right mike the woodpecker has amazingly strong neck muscles and a reinforced skull to allow it to hammer holes in trees. Brilliant birds!(y)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Understand your problem PaulP.

Our next door neighbour had a feeder in a tree which was viewable form our conservatory. I had noticed that a Woody was visiting it quite regularly but ignored the feeders in our garden.

I set up my camera with a good long range lens on it and a trigger mechanism to enable me to take pictures without me needing to move.

I was sitting in the conservatory and spotted the Woody land in a fork in next doors tree. It proceeded to peek round the trunk and look straght at me. It did this about three times as I waited for him to go to the feeder. After the 4th Peek he flew straight to our feeder where he stayed for about 5 minutes. I am sure he knew what I wanted to do and that I could not take a picture whilst he visited our feeder. Little !!!!!!!!!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
That's a Green-finch, we have two pairs visiting our garden for the Niger Seeds we put out. We started putting out Niger to attract Goldfinches but so far no joy, bloody woodpecker, squirrel and pheasants bully a lot of the smaller birds away. We have a regular Nuthatch though.

Magnificent that there Mother Nature.........

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This reminds me of shortly before we were due to move from our previous house to where we are now ... we had a lovely greater spotted woodpecker that visited our bird table and I wanted to take shome photos before we left so I got my SLR camera out on the stand one Saturday afternoon and waited, lo and behold he appears and I snapped away ... and kept snapping ... and kept snapping ... after a while I thought I was getting a heck of a lot of shots, and even though I always had a 36 shot roll in it, it seemed to be going on forever. You've guessed ... no ruddy film in the camera! (n)

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
@old-mo
Last friday when we were up here I was walking the dogs in a wooded area at the site.
It was 5.30 and as I looked up there was a deer about 15 feet in front of me, it just sauntered off and I was cursing as I didn't have my camera handy.
They wander about the site quite regularly.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We go through an average of 10 kilo of black sun flower seeds a week... plus Fat ball`s, wild bird seed...

We get these two pop in every evening and scooping up the black seeds the others drop from the feeding station`s.. (y)

View attachment 63297

Plus this cheeky sod...

View attachment 63298

Mo I don't know where you get yours from but we get ours from Croston Mill direct, the prices are great as is quality and free delivery. 30 Kgs of sunflower hearts for 31.50 delivered is good (normally comes in 3 X 10Kg bags.)

http://thecornmill.com/wild-bird-food-3-c.asp

Every Little helps!:D

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cheers Bertie...

Was paying about the same as you, but just found these, not as big a selection as twotobitzs, but cheaper..

Just ordered another load.. :rolleyes:

Broken Link Removed

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
25kg Black Sunflower Seeds GW-25-9043 1 £19.75
Subtotal £19.75
Delivery £0.00
Grand Total £19.75

Not Twotobitzs.... :doh: These. www.
ImageProxy.mvc

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.