MH alarm strikeback etc fitted in Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Hi, we are in the middle of purchasing our first MH,
( we have had a camper for 10 yrs plus),
the van in question has a Cobra tracker fitted but no alarm, me being me thinks that prevention is better than cure so I'm after recommendations to get one fitted (strikeback etc) in Lincolnshire ideally, though I'm willing to travel sensible distances

Andy

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Any half decent teenager can disable an alarm but it takes a proper lying trained scrote to identify and disable a tracker....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Any half decent teenager can disable an alarm

That might have been true years ago, this is certainly not the case now. Which is why thieves these days like to steal your keys just before they steal your vehicle. Even if a thief has my keys, he's not driving my pride and joy away, he'll need a low loader and a hiab to do that. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Off to VanBlitz next week for solar etc.Ash sent details of an alert system if your keys are stolen and used to enter and start your Motorhome. It seems to work on a MSM text alert. Will have look next week.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have that engine disabling system fitted by VanBitz. Once I arm it with my phone, then even if someone has my keys, the vehicle will not start. It gives the impression of being broken rather than disabled as it will just not start. Not only that, the motorhome calls and texts. If I choose to answer then I can listen in to what is going on inside the motorhome. But its the text that is good, as it gives all the details as well as a text link to it's location on google maps, so even if it is on a low loader I know exactly where it is. An excellent bit of Kit from VanBitz. (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Off to VanBlitz next week for solar etc.Ash sent details of an alert system if your keys are stolen and used to enter and start your Motorhome. It seems to work on a MSM text alert. Will have look next week.

In essence, if you have a smart phone, it can now be incorporated into your overall motorhome security. As Jim said, stealing your keys and alarm fob is no longer enough to be able to start your motorhome and drive it away.

We introduced "Non Starter" due to the massive increase in key theft. As modern alarms and immobilisers have got better and better and more and more efficient, it is virtually impossible to steal a modern vehicle without the key.

I speak with some experience, as I was timed hotwiring, for an MMM article many years ago in starting a Fiat in 19 seconds.

The other worrying aspect is insurance companies do refuse to pay out if they think that you haven't taken "reasonable care" with your keys.

Hiding your keys under a towel on the beach or at the pool may seem "reasonable" to motorhomers on this forum, but probably wouldn't to an underwriter, or in the event of a challenge, to the Onbudsman.

Personally? I have Strikeback "Growler" fitted, and I have a good safe. When I arrive on a site, and we are likely to do somthing that means we have to leave the keys somewhere, I lock the ignition key in the safe, send a message to my motorhome using my phone, and then just carry the caravan door key, and the alarm fob.

If some one steals my keys, the worst that they can do is to turn the alarm off, and unlock the door. Even if they found the safe, and managed to open the safe, they still couldn't start the engine as the "Non Starter" would be active. As an aside, if the ignition was turned on, allthough the engine wouldn't start, the "Non Starter" would send me a SMS text and also ring me opening up a line so I could hear what was happening inside the motorhome.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm after recommendations to get one fitted (strikeback etc) in Lincolnshire ideally, though I'm willing to travel sensible distances

Andy

Unless Eddie (VANBITZ) has changed things the nearest installer for us northerners is Leisurepower in Cheshire.
VANBITZ official and only subcontractor.

A lot closer tha Devon.

B1 Sycamore Court
Trident Business Park
Daten Avenue
Birchwood
Warrington
Cheshire
WA3 6AX
England

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Unless Eddie has changed things the nearest installer for us northerners is Leisurepower in Cheshire.
vanity official and only subcontractor.

A lot closer tha Devon.

B1 Sycamore Court
Trident Business Park
Daten Avenue
Birchwood
Warrington
Cheshire
WA3 6AX
England

Leisurepower went bust! They closed the doors in August.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL the scumbags who broke into our house would have made a greater haul than they managed, since my car was on the drive and I'm sure they intended to load stuff into it, cos it was the telly in the middle of our drive that alerted a passer by very early in the morning, who rang the police. She told us some months later when we met her, that my car keys were also on the drive. She thought they were to the C4 anyway, she hadn't tried em - but there was a Citroen fob. She was correct.

What a shame they didn't bring a battery with them when they came! Our telly wouldn't have got wet then !

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, we are in the middle of purchasing our first MH,
( we have had a camper for 10 yrs plus),
the van in question has a Cobra tracker fitted but no alarm, me being me thinks that prevention is better than cure so I'm after recommendations to get one fitted (strikeback etc) in Lincolnshire ideally, though I'm willing to travel sensible distances

Andy
lend us a fiver:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thirded. There are some great pubs in Taunton to pass the time in while you're waiting, so it's worth booking a second night at Cornish Farm.

Noted and cheers!(y)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
10.06am and there's 649 members and guests on line:Eeek: Ain't you lot got jobs to go to and before you ask I'm retired:beerchug:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back