Fiat ducato 2014 a few issues (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all. A few weeks back there was a thread on here regarding water collecting at the front bottom of the windscreen and then dripping onto possible electrics in the engine bay. Not good long term:frowny: I looked at my van at the weekend and this seems to be an issue with my van as well. Trouble is I can't find the solution and was it a Fiat warranty fix. Your help and information will be a great help as the van is at dealer at the moment with another issue I've not seen mentioned on here yet.
As you drive along the warning lights start to flicker on and off. Even when parked with the ignition turned off. Seems as this is a known problem and Fiat are changing the instrument panel under warranty.:smiley: I have to say the dealer Geoff cox motorhomes have been excellent in any dealings so far and I would defiantly recommend dealing with them:smiley:
Looking forward to your help(y)

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
My 2013 model had the same Problem with the warning lights, had it sorted but now concerned about the water problem. Where about's does the water collect. Left hand side or right hand side?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sounds like the scuttle drains are blocked/misplaced. On drivers side there is a small hole under the windscreen wiper, on passenger side a similar hole. They should have an obvious rubber grommet, which is the top of the pipe.
Get a jug of water and pour slowly into the scuttle, it should drain immediately and come out over the wheel, if it doesn't there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Passenger side. It's a bad design. Water collects in the scuttle and then overflows into engine bay onto fuse/ecu boxes. I've read on here about replacement scuttle or blue peter type fix just can't find at the moment. They are covered with plastic trim. Just prefer not to have water anywhere near, fear of future problems

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sounds like the scuttle drains are blocked/misplaced. On drivers side there is a small hole under the windscreen wiper, on passenger side a similar hole. They should have an obvious rubber grommet, which is the top of the pipe.
Get a jug of water and pour slowly into the scuttle, it should drain immediately and come out over the wheel, if it doesn't there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
There is a grommet but only seals a hole. Nothing connected to it

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am sure the design hasn't altered, mine is 2011, I think there should be a pipe connecting this to the inner wing to route water away from the ECU. There is on mine, I had to fix mine, but it involved removing the headlamps to correctly position the pipes.
Since you are under warranty this needs to be looked at.
I am not near to my MH until Friday, but will take photos of the scuttle drain then to show you the route it should take.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I am sure the design hasn't altered, mine is 2011, I think there should be a pipe connecting this to the inner wing to route water away from the ECU. There is on mine, I had to fix mine, but it involved removing the headlamps to correctly position the pipes.
Since you are under warranty this needs to be looked at.
I am not near to my MH until Friday, but will take photos of the scuttle drain then to show you the route it should take.
That's very kind of you. :clap2:I'll get mine back from dealers a week on Saturday they may have sorted it but so far they have said they will be replacing instrument panel and not mentioned the scuttle. I can see it's not right at the moment though. Thanks for your help

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have a 2013 van and have the same problem I resolve it by pushing a net curtain hanging spring (white plastic coated flexi spring type)down the tubes they run out behind the wheel arch liners a bit of a pain to get at.

Last edited:

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The scuttle skirt is in tow pieces with a join in the middle of the windscreen and are overlapped by about 1/2 with a small strip of foam which does not stop the water,the same with the grommets on the drain holes ,water also enters between the plastic scuttle and the windscreen ,so I set about to cure this by using this mastic ,between scuttle and the windscreen ,and the overlap on the joint ,and under the two grommets ,it sets in the wet or dry,and up to now all seems dry,I have sealed plastic water tanks,guttering ,plastic roofing sheet ,it really good stuf.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I have a 2013 van and have the same problem I resolve it by pushing a net curtain hanging spring (white plastic coated flexi spring type)down the tubes they run out behind the wheel arch liners a bit of a pain to get at.
I've just got blank grommets on mine no tubes to drain water away. A call to Fiat I think

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Re the warning lights issue, Fiat replaced the instrument cluster on my 2011 Fiat Bessacarr twice under warranty. And the dealer told me that it was a problem which they had seen several times.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Mine being done under warranty when skuttle arrives, but I have 2 other problems with my 2014 new / 2013 build. No 1 being the mileage reading flashs all the time engine is running, No 2 on driving away every time ,within a couple of 100 yds all the doors suddenly decide to lock. both not real problems but No 1 is damned annoying
No 2 still not sure if it's supposed to do this ( I know some manufacturers make some of there cars do this as a safety device)
Fiat dragging there heals and won't comment on either or they are not sure how too correct the prob's,
Believe or not they say that my vehicle according to the chassis number I should have blue tooth in the vehicle and radio controls on the steering wheel ( the same as Puegeot's) . My vehicle has neither , so local dealer is in communication with Fiat but not getting very far .

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The doors do lock after about 100yds ,very good when you don't want anybody coming in when you stop at the next set of traffic lights (which has been known in Spain ).

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
My peugeot doors lock automatically within 100yds. It's in the manual that it does this, so it's not a fault. Yours prob the same?
Hope that explains it and at least removes one 'fault' from your list!

Don't know if you could disable this feature, but I find it useful. You can of course open the doors by using the normal door handle if you need to leap out!

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
On my Peugeot - which I think is the same as the fiat - the automatic door locking can be set on or off via a menu item - accessible from the "mode" button. The doors lock when you reach a pre set speed (20mph I think)

Re the flashing mileage reading I had one van that did this when new but it stopped after a certain mileage (from memory it might have been 500)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I rarely unlock the cab doors, we use the habitation door. But on the few occasions I have used the cab door, I can confirm that they lock when you get rolling. This has happened in every motorhome I have rented also.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi Fidget. Are they changing scuttle under warranty due to this fault?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
3mph when the doors lock. But you can disable it but all ours are left active. If the emergency services need to get in they will :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Fragle, yes being done under warranty, thanks to one and all ( about door lock ) just been confirmed by fiat dealer that doors automatically lock when driven away ( pleased it's now not a fault but took 5 months to get answer from fiat dealer !!!!) only took one post on here , done in under an hour, also told by funsters about being able to switch off said locking but dont think I will.
Terry

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As promised, here we go, this is the scuttle drain on the passenger side when viewed from the top:

Scuttle top.jpg

Now this is the view from behind the headlamp looking up, notice the pipe (arrowed):
Scuttle bottom.jpg

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have cleared the LH ((passenger side)) very small drainage hole, ((used a thin welding rod)) but can't find a hole on the drivers side ?? Should there be one ???

arao99

Free Member
Feb 3, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
dont own
Exp
May 2012
I have cleared the LH ((passenger side)) very small drainage hole, ((used a thin welding rod)) but can't find a hole on the drivers side ?? Should there be one ???
My Peugeot had a pipe on the drivers side only so would not drain on the passengers side but did not cause any problems.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes, but it is extremely difficult to see, the windscreen wiper partially obscures is, look close to the wiper pivot and you should see it. Failing that, remove the panel above the light, 2 screws, and then carefully 'wiggle' it upwards to free the pop studs. The panel is plastic and can snap.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Hi all just been onto A Dealer at Newark to ask about this problem with the scuttle drains, they said it will incur a charge for investigation.
If nothing is found? But if there is a fault it will be done under warranty.
So will have to investigate for my self, me thinks.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all just been onto A Dealer at Newark to ask about this problem with the scuttle drains, they said it will incur a charge for investigation.
If nothing is found? But if there is a fault it will be done under warranty.
So will have to investigate for my self, me thinks.
Seems like the usual dealer response. I'm still waiting for an answer on the scuttle. They have replaced the instrument panel but I'll find out Monday and let you know. Seems like there is an issue with this some dealers don't want to admit to.
Thanks Daniel Ford the photos are a great help:)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
DanielFord said:
As promised, here we go, this is the scuttle drain on the passenger side when viewed from the top:

View attachment 48302
Now this is the view from behind the headlamp looking up, notice the pipe (arrowed):
View attachment 48303
Just looked at mine and Ihave a pipe thats about 1 inch across that the scuttle drains into? Mine is a 2013 apache comes out under the drivers side wheel arch.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Here are some photos the thick pipe to the left side of brake mastercylinder and the large hole that feeds it on the scuttle.

Attachments

• 20141130_152313.jpg
    20141130_152313.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20141130_152407.jpg
    20141130_152407.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 58
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
So is this different from yours is this the upgrade?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back