mobile workshop and camper van conversion!!! (2 Viewers)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Long term I am thinking about setting up a little project sooner or later which will involve having a smallish mobile workshop (vice, bench drill, grinder, maybe an air compressor, tool storage etc) powered by all of these maybe, electricity hook up/battery inverter/petrol air/genny. With the ability to sleep in there overnight, so a bed, a heater and maybe some water/chemicals and maybe even a gas ring.

Anybody seen or made anything like this, I was thinking of a tall/long WB tranny van or similar as the base vehicle.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Something like a race van ?

Broken Link Removed
thanks for that, I was thinking along a self conversion and something a bit cheaper but that was a good start for ideas(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it all depends on exactly what you want in the van but work on 5k ish for all the stuff to put inside with windows(all new) then the cost of the van --You say bed £2/300 -heater 350 -water heater 350 cooker/sink 350 -lights leccy hook up point -water tanks windows roof vent etc etc all add up -done cheap you may get away with 2500 ish -Better go for a boxer/relay type van they are much wider
terry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Doesn't sound too difficult, put a bench and storage down one side, fold-down bed on the other side, cooking and ablutions fitted wherever is best given the size of the vehicle. Probably easiest to have a loose genny you store inside when not being used.

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
Better than a BT van would be an ex Transco or maybe tyre fitters van, many have on board generator & compressor, if going with a portable generator you will be very limited on compressor size due to the high current draw on start up. I have a very small compressor like this Broken Link Removed which will run from a 2.5kva generator, it all depends how much air you will need.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Better than a BT van would be an ex Transco or maybe tyre fitters van, many have on board generator & compressor, if going with a portable generator you will be very limited on compressor size due to the high current draw on start up. I have a very small compressor like this Broken Link Removed which will run from a 2.5kva generator, it all depends how much air you will need.

my old national grid van was a high top transit
workshop bench & vice 110 volt with engine running
could be left running with the key taken out
if you reased the hand brake or touched brake peddle
engine cut out shouldnt say this but a camp bed fitted in the centre of the bench and storage shelves
always tried to find a 110 microwave to tight to pay for a new one in the works van though
brilliant truck buggers wouldent sell it to me when i retired

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It all depends on what/how you want to do it :DIf you want a work/camper shed then simply buy a 50 quid camping stove and a £100 bed settee -job done -but if you want a decent job then it costs money
terry

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Thanks all for the input, well considering a few options, I have seen a few vans on Ebay which have also given me some ideas but very helpful ides here thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back