Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Before I contact the dealer I just need to make sure I have a problem.
Is the thermostat used on these systems not sensitive enough. I can turn the heating on high, eventually it will turn off when it has reached a high internal temperature, or I have to turn the setting down. However, when the internal temperature drops, it is not switching back on.
Is this a problem common on these, or do I just have to put up?
Don

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The thermostat is pretty sensitive and works well. It can only do so, however, if it's mounted somewhere sensible. If it is somewhere that stays warm when the rest of the van cools down it obviously won't switch the heating back on. Where's yours?

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
It's above the kitchen area but doesn't seem to work when the whole van gets cold.
We have only just purchased this 2007 HYMER 654 AND VERY HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING OTHER THAN THE HEATING SYSTEM.
We will bear with it another few days - see if we can sort it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
When the heating comes on in a cold van the fan should step up to speed two and when it gets within a few degrees of chosen heat should drop down to speed one before finally cutting out when optimum heat achieved. Are these steps happening?
If the sensor is above kitchen area it sounds as though it is not getting a good flow of air around it.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I am noticing what appears to be a lag in the heater coming back on with the van cooling down but the temp gauges I have do not show much change. I think it is the temp at floor level dropping quicker than at body height so feet can cool quickly. Sitting with feet up the difference is not so noticeable. I think it would be worth checking the temp at various heights to see if you are getting this type of problem.

Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
We used to get the cold feet syndrome, put it down to the fact that our Hymer did not have the double floor.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
It's above the kitchen area
Is that the control or the sensor? Near the kitchen, if that is in use, does not sound good for the sensor. I wonder which controller you have, mine is the digital one with a timer and I am sure there is to much difference between switching off & back on.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Interesting point that.. They always put the sensors up high too.
Now you have got me thinking !!
Not sure where mine is but I have a feeling that it might well be on the move to a more southern area in the van if at all possible ! (y)

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
It's above the kitchen area but doesn't seem to work when the whole van gets cold.
We have only just purchased this 2007 HYMER 654 AND VERY HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING OTHER THAN THE HEATING SYSTEM.
We will bear with it another few days - see if we can sort it out.
That must be the Truma thermostat control you're talking about - the 'sensor' for the heating in most Hymer vehicles is usually under either the driver's seat or the passenger seat - if it has become disconnected then you have no signal back to the thermostat control.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Soo.. anyone have a Chieftain knows where the bloody sensor is then ?
Buggered if I can find i

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like the Truma heating has its problems or is it a case of turn up the 'stat ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Found out the sodding thing does not have a remote sensor just the main one above the door. ( no wonder I could not find it ! )
The sensor with a but of wire is about £40 including postage.. I will live without !

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
I recently and accidentally bust my Truma 6002 central heating switch on my Rapido 972m. Sent off for new and boy has that made a difference to the sensitivity of the heating. it slips up and down the different fan speeds more promptly now and holds the van temperature far better than it used too. Hav'nt a clue where my van thermostat is but changing the switch has made a big difference.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Found out the sodding thing does not have a remote sensor just the main one above the door. ( no wonder I could not find it ! )
The sensor with a but of wire is about £40 including postage.. I will live without !
Mine
That must be the Truma thermostat control you're talking about - the 'sensor' for the heating in most Hymer vehicles is usually under either the driver's seat or the passenger seat - if it has become disconnected then you have no signal back to the thermostat control.
Mine (on a Hymer B584) is above the entrance door. It's a small round black plastic 'button' around 20mm in diameter. The heating controls are on the side of the wardrobe.

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
My truma ultrheat stat does not hold a constant temp , sometimes it takes temp to 26 c others times it blows cold on 20c ( heater knob on the actual heater set on 2)
I wonder if stat senses temp through wardrobe wall re heating pipe runs up inside drobe

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We always put the blown air circulation fan on the top of the fire on" manual", that way I can control the warmth by adjusting the thermostat above the hab door, which is in the kitchen.
Haven't tried putting the fan on "Auto" yet..
But to be honest we have rarely been on hook-up, as we are free loading tossers !! :rolleyes:
Mitch..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never seen one there all the Hymers I've seen or had it is above the door next to the control panel.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have a Propex 2000 and find it takes ages for the stat to turn off and then a long time to start up again.My stat is at "eye level" as recomended,considered lowering it though.

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
I momentarily thought about lowering the stat , mine is eye level too
It makes sense nothing to lose
Pity there's not an adjustment inside the stat a little screwed pot or the like
But may just give that lowering a bit of thought ta !!!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You could probably put a pot across the thermistor (in parallel to it) or in series (depending on whether it is PTC or NTC) to alter the range

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I changed the controller in my van for the CP-Plus, makes a big difference to the control of the heating it controls the fan much more precisely. Has an offset setting so you can calibrate the thermostat, I set mine up so the temperature on the controller matches the temperature at head height (sitting) in the centre of the lounge. Also has the benefit of a timer so you can wake up to a nice warm van with hot water.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hi Lenny. What's the CP plus? Any links?

Edit, looked it up

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Link Removed However appears to be only and upgrade for later heater`s? Anyone know if it would retrofit to the older 2005ish systems?

Pete

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Strangely weve had the same problem our sensor is above the door which is to high and there is a heater outlet directly below it which is ridiculous as it should be away from heat source
Im assuming it will be a two wire thermistor under tbe black cap has anyone else moved one?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Link Removed However appears to be only and upgrade for later heater`s? Anyone know if it would retrofit to the older 2005ish systems?

Pete
I think it is possible but you need a new PCB at over £300 so would cost around £600 that's a DIY price.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Strangely weve had the same problem our sensor is above the door which is to high and there is a heater outlet directly below it which is ridiculous as it should be away from heat source
Im assuming it will be a two wire thermistor under tbe black cap has anyone else moved one?
Yip I had to move mine last month by just a few inches when I was fitting my victor battery monitor , there are indeed just 2 wires to remove , and the sensor itself if just pushed into the tight hole that was drilled in my Woden panel.
The above was for my MH as per my sig, others may vary :)

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Our thermostat was above the door and the heating was always switching off too quickly. Had it moved down nearer to floor level and heating much better and not switching off all the time!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back