Mafia .............my first thought (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Janie has just mentioned Italy, on the way back or when we come out again.
We went twenty odd years ago without a care in the world.:rolleyes:

So as we spend most of our time in Spain, which we all know is full of bandits / thieves wild dogs and Englishman. :LOL:
And most nights have a really good sleep, ;) but that could be us just being gassed. :)
How is Italy compared to Spain, is it a safe place because my first thought was Mafia :eek: is it as bad as Spain?
:D Bob.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I spent a lot of time in Italy when working and as long as you stay well clear of the major cities you should be fine. Milan and Rome being the worst for bandits. Much like any other major city around the world I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
We love Italy and our favourite city in Europe is Rome. Yes you can get robbed but it's no worse than the UK is don't listen to scaremongers just go and enjoy.
Got to agree, I normally don't like big cities but Rome was so much better than I expected. I also had a month in Sicily and loved it, looking forward to going back.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Can't say the Mafia have been uppermost in our thoughts when touring in Italy. Organised crime probably gets its cut of tourist Euros through its 'legit' business interests so they don't need to hold you up at the roadside. In fact I reckon the Mafia would get quite upset if tourists were scared away from Italy as they must be a useful income source. We don't feel any more unsafe in Italy than anywhere else in central Europe, although the furthest south we've been is Sorrento.

I'm not sure I'd want to hang around too long in Naples though - we came off the motorway there an exit too early and it looked a bit third world in places. Anyway, it's not the Mafia who'll get you there it's the Camorra. It's probably best that you don't watch the film Gomorrah if you're nervous in any way about Naples :)

The other big Italian cities seem the same as any other big European city.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Being an ex trucker, I always try and park somewhere safe, and being country folk we like our own space, and up until now, when I put my hands in my pocket, I have not found anyone else's in there. :eek:

We try and stick to small city's, liked Seville and you feel safe, but I think when its like that you drop your guard a bit.:eek:
:) Bob.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We have cycled, been on business, hoteled, moterhomed, and visited a lot of places in Italy, including Sicily!

We experienced no problems. It's a great place, wonderfull people, fantastic scenery and historical sites and food to die for!

As with anywhere, you just need to take sensible precautions when you go into a city (or somewhere unfamiliar) as you would in any city in this country or abroad.

It is often the easiest to use campsites near to the large cities and use train/bus to get to the centre. We did this for Rome, Palermo, Rivenna, Sienna etc and have cycled into a few with our panniers.

If you are unsure of where you are or it looks a bit dodgy, just avoid it!

But you can imagine all problems, but do not let them stop you travelling.

If you have not had awareness training or feel unsure I recomend Jim's book on Motorhome security, I think you can still get it from his website.

Go to Italy and enjoy it, we have and will continue to do so - off to Pompeii in spring, though flying this time as only have a week!

If you need advice on wher to visit just PM me.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Avoid Sicily :eek:
We keep our motorhome in Sicily and tour around Sicily and Italy.
We have found the people very friendly and helpful, never felt threatened or had a problem with the locals.
Sicily is a beautiful island and well worth a visit!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had our pockets "felt" on the Rome Metro, but they got nothing.

Apart from that. Just do it. I'm thinking we need to do Sicily. Maybe next winter, see if it's an alternative to Spain for the winter. The FUNsters over there right now make it sound warm enough.

We've had The Italian Job, maybe The Sicily Job, Nov 2015.

What's more there is the option for Greece once down there.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can't say the Mafia have been uppermost in our thoughts when touring in Italy..

There was a very good TV doc on Naples called The System. Organised crime was their way of like, some of it was bad, like the poor sod whose mattress factory kept burning down because he would not pay but some good. They preferred the service of the local godfather to lawyers because the godfather was so much quicker and cheaper than the lawyers.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I had my bum pinched (repeatedly) in Rome, and my purse stolen from my handbag at the Trevi Fountain. But it hasn't put me off what I believe is the most beautiful city in the world! Would go back tomorrow... (If only for the bum pinching!) no, only kidding, take a dart in your pocket ladies and don't be afraid to use it!

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
When driving down to Gozo I have been through Italy and stopped on Sicily a number of times, including some wild camping. I must admit I prefer Sicily to most of Italy. I don't think it's the Mafia you need to worry about, it's the drivers especially near the bigger towns.:(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No 1 son had his iPhone lifted on London tube at 10 the other morning...Theives are everywhere! We go to italy every year and love it!:love:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back