Free Member
Jan 14, 2014
wales
Funster No
MH
low profile motorhome
Exp
since 2008
Can't help in Bolton, just had two refillable bottles fitted at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk. Could not fault the service and they let us stay overnight with hook up in their yard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Surely any petrol station that sells LPG?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you are not going to have the filler cap drilled through the MH it is very easy to fit yourself.Order on line delivered to your HA and thats it. Small bit of screwing the bracket for the filler bracket within the gas locker and tighten up a couple of hoses, which I am sure you have used similar type hoses before. I say simples

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I fitted my own ( twice as I moved it from old mh to new ) and have also fitted a couple for other folk.
It is very straight forward for any one who can use a spanner.. Just get the installation checked by a gas fitter ( preferan;y one who has an LPG ticket as well as the normal GasSafe one ) when done

Alternately Dave Newell is at Telford ( about 65 miles from you ) who is well known on this here forum and will look after you very well indeed

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
FIT YOURSELF IT'S EASY. ( You will notice I did not say DEAD easy!!

Colyboy

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We fitted our own into the existing gas bottle locker with no problem. Go onto the FES Autogas website, discuss what you need and delivery will be within 24 hours. They were so helpful it was unbelievable and installation was simple. We are spending a lot less on gas, not to mention avoiding the hassle of traipsing round foreign supermarkets looking for replacement gas bottles. Go for it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If you must have GASLOW stuff then look for Hamilton Gas Products - they are way cheaper and free delivery

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It may not be quite as easy to fit as some may suggest.....,
We went for two GasIt bottles and an external BBQ point
Because the BBQ point had to be connected to the gas pipework after the regulator I was advised it was s job for a professional - especially as our van is still under warranty
We opted for an external filler valve which meant that a large hole needed to be drilled through the side wall of our van. On our model the gas bottle cabinet was lined with sheet stainless steel which was very difficult to drill through and required two different size holes cutting from each side of the panel.
The finished job is great, but not something to be tackled without the necessary experience and tools
Having looked at Gaslow and Gasit we found Gasit to be much better value than Gaslow - even when we added the cost of professional installation

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hmmmm. I suspect with your requirements the fitting of any system would be more difficult. The fitting of a BBQ point would be exactly the same whether you had Gasit, Gaslow or Calor bottles. The easiest way to fit Gasit is to fit their standard in-locker filling point. As I said it took me from receipt of goods 2 hours to fully fit. And reality a good part of that time was deciding where in the locker to put the filling point.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I understand that some European filling stations will not allow filling of bottles unless it's through a filer valve mounted the exterior wall of the MH - happy to be corrected otherwise

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
And indeed some Shell stations in UK, our local one being one of them
We only paid £100 to have our bottles professionally fitted, including the external filler valve and the external BBQ point - why DIY ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I understand that some European filling stations will not allow filling of bottles unless it's through a filer valve mounted the exterior wall of the MH - happy to be corrected otherwise
Did not have that problem in France or Spain in the Spring
And indeed some Shell stations in UK, our local one being one of them
David - I regularly fill up in local Shell Station without any problem.
We only paid £100 to have our bottles professionally fitted, including the external filler valve and the external BBQ point - why DIY ?
But how much did you pay for the bottles? I suspect more than the Gasit ones would have cost.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

But how much did you pay for the bottles? I suspect more than the Gasit ones would have cost.
The GasIt bottles inc BBQ points were purchased direct from GasIt - about £250 complete if I remember rightly including two filter kits
My local Gaslow dealer quoted £850 for the same job

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can't understand why you said that. I never suggested DIY or not DIY - all that was said was that our local Shell will not permit in-locker filling

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Shell have a no compromise approach to HSE and some stations regard filling inside the locker as refilling calor bottles. Wrongly, but that is the way it is.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
:D
Can't understand why you said that. I never suggested DIY or not DIY - all that was said was that our local Shell will not permit in-locker filling
I was talking generally.... DIY'ers would probably go for the easier option of an in locker filler rather than drill a big hole in the side of their van. Wasn't criticising what you said ... Was adding to it :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
:D
I was talking generally.... DIY'ers would probably go for the easier option of an in locker filler rather than drill a big hole in the side of their van. Wasn't criticising what you said ... Was adding to it :D
Thanks - it didn't really follow. Would have been better following the Hamilton post ;)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
And reality a good part of that time was deciding where in the locker to put the filling point.

I've been keeping quiet for fear of being the thickest self fit Gas-it installer ever.
I have the pipework and bottles installed (loose fit all to tighten up) but the filler bracket is proving a problem, there is vey little space to fit it without it fouling the locker door.
How did you fix it to the floor and did you put any extra support in, I'm a little concerned about the stresses on the mounting point during filling.?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've been keeping quiet for fear of being the thickest self fit Gas-it installer ever.
I have the pipework and bottles installed (loose fit all to tighten up) but the filler bracket is proving a problem, there is vey little space to fit it without it fouling the locker door.
How did you fix it to the floor and did you put any extra support in, I'm a little concerned about the stresses on the mounting point during filling.?
My AutoSleeper had a steel mesh locker floor and the filler was bolted through it. The Pilote has a plastic floor and I cannot see how a fill point could be securely fixed. Fortunately there is a massive space at the side of the locker and that is where both the BBQ and fill point have been put

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
However you decide to secure the filling point you need to bear in mind that LPG filler nozzles are heavy and bulky

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
My AutoSleeper had a steel mesh locker floor and the filler was bolted through it. The Pilote has a plastic floor and I cannot see how a fill point could be securely fixed. Fortunately there is a massive space at the side of the locker and that is where both the BBQ and fill point have been put
Thanks Ducky:whistle:

Mine is part mesh and part solid I am just concerned that it may flex when fitting the filler nozzle on?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Ducky:whistle:

Mine is part mesh and part solid I am just concerned that it may flex when fitting the filler nozzle on?
Mine was really solid so not a problem at all, apart from Shell refusing a fill up. Used BP instead.

Best way is to stick one of the wife's knitting needles in one of the holes and pull it around, trying to bend the mesh. If the knitting needle bends and not the mesh then it is OK. Quietly replace the knitting needle and deny all knowledge later.;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back