Found a great mifi box for Europe and cheap? (1 Viewer)

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
I always try to stay near somewhere where I can get a wifi signal but for the times I can't I found PC World sell a mifi unit at £49.99 with coverage across 40 countries at around £15 per month for 5gb. Tried it and the signal is brilliant!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my three mifi is about the same price and a 3gb 90 day sim around £21. Depends how much data you use I suppose

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I always try to stay near somewhere where I can get a wifi signal but for the times I can't I found PC World sell a mifi unit at £49.99 with coverage across 40 countries at around £15 per month for 5gb. Tried it and the signal is brilliant!
Do you know who it is with? Vodafone, 3 etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
It's done through KnowHow/ globalgig. When I bought it they tried to say it was around £90 for 10gb but if you follow the instructions in the box it takes you to the rates quoted on the PC World website. Not everyones cup of tea but works for me.

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Sounds like the same one. Mine works flawlessly in Portugal. Will be travelling up through France, Spain and Germany (not neccessarily in that order) later so hopefully it will work as well there. It does say on the box that it covers 40 countries.

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
I looked at this one first but the guy in the 3 shop told me it didn't cover Portugal which is why I went with this one from PC World. It comes with its own sim so not sure if it is unlocked for others but for me it was what I needed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I looked at this one first but the guy in the 3 shop told me it didn't cover Portugal which is why I went with this one from PC World. It comes with its own sim so not sure if it is unlocked for others but for me it was what I needed.
As it is SIM free it should be able to be used with a local SIM anywhere. He probably meant that the 3 roaming deal doesn't cover Portugal.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you are looking for a good data card try mobi data they do coverage across Europe cheapest is £4.85 pm and do double data allowance. We used ours on the iPad last winter it was much cheaper than other cards
Telephone: +44 (0) 33 33 01 01 10Email: help@mobi-data.co.uk:cheers:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I am so dim !! Do you send for the SIM card first and it comes loaded with the first month ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
iyts the sim that gets the rates and the connection the mifi is just a router so if this guy said the mifi wont work in portugal imho thats rubbish

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I also use knowhow sim bought for a fiver in pc world, I use my phone as a hotspot. 10gb for £25.99 month. Works here in Portugal and Spain on the way down.
It uses optimus here in Portugal.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Reading the knowhow website again it looks as if you only get the full data allowance in 12 countries, a list which does not include France. In another 28 countries you get a much smaller data allowance.
If this is true then this is a good card for Spain and Portugal but not for France, unless you are only passing through it.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
2014-11-22 09.22.10.jpg
Bets
Reading the knowhow website again it looks as if you only get the full data allowance in 12 countries, a list which does not include France. In another 28 countries you get a much smaller data allowance.
If this is true then this is a good card for Spain and Portugal but not for France, unless you are only passing through it.
Mm mm. I'll have to read up on that. Not sure. Didn't want France this time as we used the Santander ferry to get to Portugal and drove through Spain.
I'll have a look and get back to you.
I had '3' which didn't give me Portugal so had to bin it.

Here's a picture of the pack the sim came in. Hope you can read it. France is not included in the core data,I think.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mm mm. I'll have to read up on that. Not sure. Didn't want France this time as we used the Santander ferry to get to Portugal and drove through Spain.
I'll have a look and get back to you.
I had '3' which didn't give me Portugal so had to bin it.
You probably need to ring the number on the website to try and get an answer. The website
did at least teach me a new word "overage" which I thought was "coverage" misspelt but I think it is the charge for going over your data allowance.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
it really also depends what u need data for when abroad maybe its best to check your phone tarrif 02 does a 1.99 a day payable only when you use it they say its unlimited but i would imagine there is a fair user policy they do say you cant use it in a mifi but they also cant say if it wouldnt work

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My pay monthly O2 sim works in a mifi but I couldn't say this will be the same for all O2 sims.

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
my understanding is that it works in all the countries mentioned but you get the bonus allowance in the other countries than the core countries. I did speak to the guy at globalgig and he seemed to indicate this was the case. But dont take my word for it. What do I know about stuff?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We covered this tariff in our roaming guide here:
Broken Link Removed

It's based on the UK Three network and basically omits Finland and Norway from the Three deal and instead includes Spain and Portugal on a rolling 30 day contract.

It is in fact the cheapest SIM for Spain/Portugal at the moment.

Mobi Data is OK if you don't need more than 100MB/month when abroad for £4.94 - after this data is charged at 15p/MB which is fairly expensive and nothing special.

I would be interested to hear feedback from anyone using the KnowHow SIM in Spain/Portugal this winter :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
my understanding is that it works in all the countries mentioned but you get the bonus allowance in the other countries than the core countries. I did speak to the guy at globalgig and he seemed to indicate this was the case. But dont take my word for it. What do I know about stuff?
That's probably the case, but it is poorly worded on the website in my view. It should say "you get your core allowance and the bonus in these 28 countries." It looks like a good deal if this is correct.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm pretty sure the 'bonus data' is only valid in a 'bonus data' country:

pics.png

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I phoned KnowHow about this core/bonus issue a few weeks ago. If on the 5GB plan you get 5GB in Spain, Portugal etc, but only 500MB total in France, not 500MB extra.

If you don't believe me, phone them yourself - the number is one the KnowHow website.

For France I used Joe Mobile (SFR). Worked very well.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
We covered this tariff in our roaming guide here:
Broken Link Removed

It's based on the UK Three network and basically omits Finland and Norway from the Three deal and instead includes Spain and Portugal on a rolling 30 day contract.

It is in fact the cheapest SIM for Spain/Portugal at the moment.

Mobi Data is OK if you don't need more than 100MB/month when abroad for £4.94 - after this data is charged at 15p/MB which is fairly expensive and nothing special.

I would be interested to hear feedback from anyone using the KnowHow SIM in Spain/Portugal this winter :)

We have been using this sim in Spain, very good in the mifi, I buy 10 gbs monthly but if you want to change tariffs you need to email them, there is no functions to do so on their website, very inconvenient

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back