Funsters Beware - It starts on 5th December (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
As from 5th December 2014 the drink drive laws in Scotland will changed which means holiday makers from south of the border could inadvertently fall foul of the law with serious consequences.

• Limit cut from threshold of 80mg to per 100ml of blood to just 50mg
  • Penalty is up to 6 months in prison, £5,000 fine and obligatory ban

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ive-law-tightened-Scotland.html#ixzz3Je2DMZjE
Follow us: Link Removed | Link Removed

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
it is so hard to no to some of the funsters. but never drive and drink. I find it hard enough to stand still and drink.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I always agree with dawn. she knows where I live.:whatthe:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Am I right in thinking England limit 35 mg Scotland was 80mg that more than twice our limit, and the new limit at 50mg is still nearly one and a half times the 35mg limit, or am I missing something, not that I wish to drink and drive either here or there. Pete

I see what I have done it Blood not Breath lol

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
No UK limit is 80 BAC which is blood alcohol concentration which is measured by a breathalyzer as being approximately 35ug or whatever.. Scotland's limit will be approximately 3/4 pint of lager after 5th December

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the update but as has been said, don't drink and drive. Zero percent alcohol in your bloodstream should be the law.
I absolutely agree with the sentiment (and I don't drive after drinking ever) but 0% isn't practical. It would probably mean a wait of three days after a single unit. As long as the limit catches the morning-after-a-serious-binge drivers I'm happy.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
That's a bugger...

If you live near the Border and have a drink in England and drive home to Scotland you could have problems if you make a mistake...

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I am totally against driving while drunk, but there is a lot of hysteria about the limit and what it should be. Now call me an old cynic, but how many accidents are caused by people who are just under the present limit? could this be another way for "them" to make money? There are many stories about regular drinkers who drive many times over the limit and rely on luck to avoid an accident and / or getting caught, should "they" not try to catch them first. If the limit is lowered more people will be caught, but I very much doubt less people will be injured. It is just politicians playing games to grab headlines.

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It only takes once.. I make a point nowadays of not drinking at all if I'm driving... But I'm not sure I get the morning after right and I think if I lived in Scotland I would buy one of those breathalyzer s .. maybe I should anyway

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
its getting close now and its important, I agree with it, but I feel there should have been some laws made to carry on board brethalisers like in France....and on that subject why is it the UK has no laws on reflective jackets triangles and first aid kits etc in cars......surely the H&S gestapo have missed a trick here?????

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What about with a hangover - is that ok?:p

No definitely not.

I absolutely agree with the sentiment (and I don't drive after drinking ever) but 0% isn't practical. It would probably mean a wait of three days after a single unit. As long as the limit catches the morning-after-a-serious-binge drivers I'm happy.

And some mouth washes and medication contains small amounts of alcohol. Not enough to affect most people but a 0% limit could mean people who need certain drugs couldn't drive.

It only takes once.. I make a point nowadays of not drinking at all if I'm driving... But I'm not sure I get the morning after right and I think if I lived in Scotland I would buy one of those breathalyzer s .. maybe I should anyway

How do those things give a reading? Is it a straight under / over reading? And if that is the case are they set for the new Scottish limits? Just wondering.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
No definitely not.

How do those things give a reading? Is it a straight under / over reading? And if that is the case are they set for the new Scottish limits? Just wondering.

The French ones are set for the new Scottish limit 50 mg per 100 ml of blood so it would be possible to use those types - available from ebay etc.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The French ones are set for the new Scottish limit 50 mg per 100 ml of blood so it would be possible to use those types - available from ebay etc.
Worth checking before you buy but if I did drink (which I don't) I would use one of those before getting behind the wheel - or not getting behind the wheel as the case may be.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Cant the people who drink have their own lane like share with the cyclists. A, we would know where they are and B, their both a nuisance.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you don't drink and drive, it's not an issue
This is very true, it is also ironically why this change in limit will have exactly zero effect on road safety.
I shall explain. Those who don't drink and drive will not be concerned by the change in the limit. Those who do drink and drive have exactly the same chance of getting caught as they currently do, the change in the limit will not alter their decision to drive whilst drunk.
So in conclusion it is a very good headline catcher but nothing else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back