Canterbury Park & Ride (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
In a recent exchange of e-mails with Colin Perris of Canterbury City Council he mentioned that the P & R facility is now available on Sundays, so that provides another option for early Monday ferry / train departures. :thumb:

John

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Since it was first posted, this has proved to be one of the most popular "Aires" in the UK for motorhomes.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Since it was first posted, this has proved to be one of the most popular "Aires" in the UK for motorhomes.

Alan

Problem is it doesn't have a whole lot of competition.

Chester is the only other one I can think of.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Latest update borrowed from O&AL

Firstly I have been able to open Dover Road on Sundays permanently again…the service runs from 9am to 6pm with a few extra services at Christmas although now I’ve arranged that any Stagecoach bus which passes the site after 19:30 will take customers on production of their Park & Ride ticket so basically you can now get a free ride back until around 23:00 (check the stagecoach website for details).

The site opens at the usual time of 6am which is a tad early but allows you guys to park up and get settled.

We’ve also extended the parking area for cars but have a cunning plan to enable Motorhomes to use it at peak weeks during the year. We’ll simply remove the height restriction and direct motorhomes to the overflow. I can’t put water pipes or waste facilities in there but it’s only a short walk from the official site anyway.

More good news is that I’m keeping the price the same until at least April 2016 at £3 per vehicle and up to 6 passengers. We have a pre-paid card available which provides a 20% discount so if you use the site regularly it’s worth it

I think that about covers it but please let me know if I can help further

Kind regards

Colin

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Excellent, Pity more councils don't take note.
Every time we use it we must spend at least £50 in Canterbury on last minute shopping and meals out etc, something the French are wise to but the greedy Brits want the pound of flesh even before they offer a service.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Methinks somebody has seen an opportunity to benefit from the likely closure of overnight MH parking on Dover seafront. All power to his entrepreneurial elbow - he wouldn't be offering a pre-paid card scheme if that aire wasn't making useful money.

We need more people who think and act like him, so do what you can to support him. It'll be our pre-ferry stop of choice in future.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am trying to do something about that one and will post soon, if it comes to fruition. I will have a word with that gentleman as to the workings of the site.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We stopped on our way over to UK overnight and two night before we left to come home. Spent quite a lots in the town plus a meal at the excellent pub!! Did send a message on their site saying how good the facility was and saying my only adverse comment is the early closure for people arriving off ferries and suggested 10 pm would be better . Each night they lost around 5 vans as they could not access . I know summer it is very busy but this was October/ November and only 3 or so vans on site so a loss of revenue during the off season . I never received a response.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Excellent, Pity more councils don't take note.
Every time we use it we must spend at least £50 in Canterbury on last minute shopping and meals out etc, something the French are wise to but the greedy Brits want the pound of flesh even before they offer a service.
We need more people who think and act like him, so do what you can to support him. It'll be our pre-ferry stop of choice in future.
Colin Perris is very helpful as regards motorhomes but (and I don't mean this in any way against him) he has the advantage of Canterbury's geographical location. We also spent an average of £45-£50 a day on our one visit to New Dover Road earlier this year but are similar expenditure levels achievable from all motorhomers in all UK locations?

Other towns and cities in the UK do not have Canterbury's geographical advantage so what incentive is there for them to "take note" or "think and act like him"? We have seen in some of the comments on the changes in Dover that many people simply want anywhere free rather than somewhere like New Dover Road P&R. Could that be a pertinent example of "greedy Brits"?

As I say time after time, if we want more facilities like New Dover Road P&R we have to show that there is a viable economic justification for them. So, to everyone who wants them in the UK here is the challenge (again). Find a location for such a facility, put together the case and approach the owner of the land - because if you don't why should anyone else?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So, to everyone who wants them in the UK here is the challenge (again). Find a location for such a facility, put together the case and approach the owner of the land.

Is that what happened before the Canterbury P&R aire was set up? Is that why Chester council allowed overnighting at the Little Roodee? Were they both the result of determined petitioning by MH owners? I'm genuinely curious about that, and am quite happy to accept whatever the answer is.

What I like about Mr Perris's approach is he's showing initiative, is just getting on with it and is trying to develop and improve his service. I think that will bring its own reward because people like us will see he's making the effort.

I don't think we'll ever agree over the detail GJH, but it doesn't matter because we both want to see UK MH parking improved one way or another.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Canterbury saw a way of using their geographic position which few, if any, other places in the UK have.

I have no idea about Chester as I understand that goes back many years (as do Powys regulations).

All other places I am aware of (e.g. Fylde) are the result of determined petitioning. The sheer fact that other places have not followed suit speaks its own tale.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back