folding bikes (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Going to buy 2 matex 7folding bikes over the weekend from Decathlon. They look good for the price £189 as I'm not a bicycle person do they look ok?

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had a look at them, they look ok, but don't fold up very small and they are quite basic and heavy. I looked at loads of these type of bikes, for one small and light enough to fit under one of the side sofas in the van and ended up with a Brompton.
Expensive but good. It all depends on what your mates want from their bikes.
Dahon also make some good ones, worth a look if you can find a local retailer.
Mother in Law recently bought a Raleigh fold up bike, off eBay, for £60. Its a really good bike and nice to ride. I think they still have them in Halfords.
Allan

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you're talking about this:

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-20_21-13-26.png
    upload_2014-11-20_21-13-26.png
    582 bytes · Views: 3
OP
OP
Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I had a look at them, they look ok, but don't fold up very small and they are quite basic and heavy. I looked at loads of these type of bikes, for one small and light enough to fit under one of the side sofas in the van and ended up with a Brompton.
Expensive but good. It all depends on what your mates want from their bikes.
Dahon also make some good ones, worth a look if you can find a local retailer.
Mother in Law recently bought a Raleigh fold up bike, off eBay, for £60. Its a really good bike and nice to ride. I think they still have them in Halfords.
Allan
Cheers thanks for the info I will have a look at halfords as well. The size won't be to much of a problem as they will go in the garage, I currently take two full size bikes but would like to save some space.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've had a number of folding bikes over the years, some better than others.

You need to try them and make sure you can fold and unfold them quickly and easily.

Check you can lift them and carry them as far as you are likely to need to.

Check they don't bend and bow in normal use......

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Cheers thanks for the info I will have a look at halfords as well. The size won't be to much of a problem as they will go in the garage, I currently take two full size bikes but would like to save some space.(y)
Have a decent test ride on them, some are awful to ride, the small wheels can make them very unstable on anything other than a smooth road. We live at the end of a 1/4 mile rough track, my Brompton ( and the Raleigh) cope easily with it.
Allan

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My partner has one of these bikes and he has been very happy with it. I have a Brompton and I love it but the Matrix has more versatile tyres for rough tracks. It doesn't fold up as small as the Brompton and is a bit heavier but it comes with a rack, lights and mudguards.
I think the Brompton is also more attractive to light fingers folk too which makes me more more precious over it but the up side is it folds in a way you can take it in shops.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Check the folding mechanism and how positive it is. Fold it up and down several times. Check there is a safety mechanism on the folding hinge. 20 inch wheels are on the small size for my liking but they may suit you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I have a Brompton and bought it via work on the 'Cycle to Work Scheme' albeit I never actually used it to cycle to work. 15miles into Central London, no thank you.
Really good quality kit, paid approx £700, will last for years.
As I paid monthly it made the price easier to swallow than all upfront.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back