rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Has any member had a hip replacement and how long did they take to start driving their Motorhome afterwards ?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I had a hip replacement 3 years ago. I was cleared to resume driving 3 months after the operation.
I was advised by the surgeon that it was necessary to advise my insurers of the op.

Brisey.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I had a hip replacement 3 years ago. I was cleared to resume driving 3 months after the operation.
I was advised by the surgeon that it was necessary to advise my insurers of the op.

Brisey.
Sister-in-law the same. She has had both hips done and wishes she had been able to have it done years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Exactly Puddleduck - by the time some get it their knees and back are knackered too.

So actual individual recovery time depends on a lot else other than just the hip.

A lot of these are done with epidural now, which saves a lot of time. (and folk like me throwing up for over a week after a general and having to be kept in a hospital bed on drips and an insulin pump!)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
She's also just had her knees done and is not driving at the moment and bored....... will b glad when she is fully mobile again as my ears ache.

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all your replies

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A friend just had one two/three weeks ago (microsurgery) he was driving for first time yesterday...Ask your consultant!:)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
First stairs before leaving Hospital.
Around the block after two weeks.
One mile per day, in one walk, after one month.
Two miles per day, in one walk, after two months

3 months, back with the Scouts hiking, shouting at them to keep up.

Driving 6 weeks, if it is your right leg, and after they take out the clips, about 10 days, if it is your left leg and you are driving an automatic.

All of this is subject to ........
1. Doing as you are told
2. Completing each days physio without fail, particularly when you are back home and no one is watching you, to make sure you do them. Each physio session should last about 10 minutes and get more complex as the weeks go by.
For example, after two months, I could raise my right leg and keeping it straight, write out each letter of the alphabet, twice,by waving the foot to the shape without lowering the leg.

The hip works fine from day one, the problem is that they will have cut through the big thigh muscle and it is that which takes the time to heal and build up again.

Good luck, it's worth the grief. No pain and no waddling as you walk. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
super mike indeed!lol

like I said its all microsurgery these days....My friend was awake during the whole thing (sedated obviously but not put out)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting, I'm mid 40's with a diagnosis of severe arthritis of my right hip. I basically have 2 choices, live with it as long as possible, or get it replaced. Concerned about recovery/outcome, I need to ride motorbikes or what's the point?

Also, how long will it last before a revision is required?

Oh, and I was informed my "good" hip is also arthritic. Happy days.

What to do and when to do it? How long should I put up with it?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
live with it as long as possible, or get it replaced.
Only you can decide, it depends on how much pain you have at the moment.

Concerned about recovery/outcome, I need to ride motorbikes or what's the point?
Outcome should be good, riding motorbikes should not be a problem.
There are only two things I have been told not to do. They are Trampolining and Bungee Jumping.

how long will it last before a revision is required?
The older type of replacement joint made of metal should last 10 years, hence the reluctance to operate on younger patients. I was given a Ceramic replacement joint and was told that these last in excess of 20 years.

Brisey.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Interesting, I'm mid 40's with a diagnosis of severe arthritis of my right hip. I basically have 2 choices, live with it as long as possible, or get it replaced. Concerned about recovery/outcome, I need to ride motorbikes or what's the point?

I was 47 when first diagnosed with osteoarthritis of both hips and lower spine,i am now 56,i have had steroid injections to relieve inflammation and pain and now take anti inflammatory tablets every day,but i did change my job (bricklayer)at 50 years old and now drive for a living,speaking with the doc last friday he said try and handle and control the pain as long as i can and when it gets to much they will replace both hips one at a time,but will give me another load of steroid injections if i want them.
at the moment i can handle the pain,but the cold weather does not help.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I had an Exeter hip put in March 2013 and within 6 months did not know it was not my own, completely pain free!

Do as much walking as you can as soon as you can and keep at it, do longer walks each day.

I think I gave up crutches within a week of the Op from memory.

Back driving after 3 weeks with spinal block and light anaesthetic so I wouldn't hear them swearing and the noise of the carpentry!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

At the age of 39 I had to go in for some major hip surgery as I was told I needed a new hip, the first op they straightened my trucanter which was causing a lot of issues with my Hip (Must have been twisted after my 5 hip ops as a kid ) After two years of walking around with a big lump of metal in my leg I then went into have my hip repaired, they removed my hip and shaved it and made it the correct shape again as the surgeon told me it was better to have your hip as long as possible according to the X-rays my other hip is far worse but I'm getting no pain. Since these op I have now run several small race and 6 marathons and did my first ultra 33mile run this month. So now at the age of 47 Im now into double figures in hip ops and will need them replaced in the near future so I've been told touch wood so far since the last op about 5 years ago I'm virtually pain free funny thing is a feel it worse when walking round shops :)
Forgot to answer your question I was driving within 8 weeks roughly, also if you get the choice ask to stay awake I watch one of my ops and it was a surreal experience.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks to all for the info and insights from your experience. I'm fortunate in that I have private medical cover with work, which would cover the replacement if I elect to proceed and by whom I have been evaluated. A very different experience to the prior visit to the GP (first time I have ever used private) which felt more of a fob off in comparison to be honest - effectively just told to live with it (GP could not even show me the X-ray in the consultation, just had the diagnosis). However, I do recognise NHS and private have different drivers.

Difficult to know when to pull the trigger, as said the advice is generally to keep the organic hip as long as possible. If the pain was constant, I think that would be an easier decision. But that is not the case, as the level of discomfort varies significantly based on factors such as weather or general use.

The other concern being the revelation that my "good" hip is also affected, so should I get the "bad" one replaced before the "good" one significantly deteriorates, or I no longer have a job with private medical cover? (I appreciate nobody else can make that call on my behalf)

Or get hooked on painkillers perhaps?

Decisions, decisions....

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
With private health care get it done now. It's not going to get better.

Mine was done private and the attention helps to a good result. (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Private Medical Insurance costs start to rise exponentially at age 65 so make sure you get anything done whilst you still have insurance.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I had a hip replacement at the tender age of 54. Consultant suggested it was brought on 15 years early from playing tennis. Was back on the court in 9 Months and am still playing competitive tennis. I consider it my good hip now - rest of my body is falling apart!

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
one hip and one knee, on the good old NHS in York. Brilliant success. I found the knee recovery was very painful the hip was not so. when I came out of hospital from the hipI was walking down to the chickens same day without my stick, only because I forgot. duh

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Had a hip replacement 18 months ago. 6 weeks after, able to walk without any crutches or sticks and no pain. Was also able to drive 3 weeks after op but waited 6 weeks after having clearance from consultant before driving long distance. Only disadvantage is I set off alarm as I go through airport security. Go for the op.

Reactions: kcy

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Ask yourself, could you do an emergency stop, I mean really jump on the brakes

Which is why no Doctor will actually tell you. The answer will always be clouded in mistry, so you can't say "he/she said" when the pooooo hit's the fan.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Had a hip replacement 18 months ago. 6 weeks after, able to walk without any crutches or sticks and no pain. Was also able to drive 3 weeks after op but waited 6 weeks after having clearance from consultant before driving long distance. Only disadvantage is I set off alarm as I go through airport security. Go for the op.
I have flown frequently in the two years since my op and don't set off security alarms....curious. And I was without crutches with the hip less than two weeks. the knee was about six weeks

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks once again for all your replies and advice.
My doctor sent me straight to hospital for an xray
He gave me the choice of either the general hospital or the Nuffield for the op
The consultant saw me 1 month later ( I could have seen him sooner), and my op is on the 29th December
at the Nuffield- no charge. I'm bricking it as I have never been ill or been an inpatient

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can't please everyone

hip.jpg

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
I was 47 when first diagnosed with osteoarthritis of both hips and lower spine,i am now 56,i have had steroid injections to relieve inflammation and pain and now take anti inflammatory tablets every day,but i did change my job (bricklayer)at 50 years old and now drive for a living,speaking with the doc last friday he said try and handle and control the pain as long as i can and when it gets to much they will replace both hips one at a time,but will give me another load of steroid injections if i want them.
at the moment i can handle the pain,but the cold weather does not help.
Same here , have back xray last week and have spondolitus right through too , severe wear through ageing

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
got new hip in 2000, and still going strong, new lease of life, as I recall was driving not long after around 2 to 3 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back