Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
Why is it that CL/CS’s advertise that they have hardstandings suitable for motorhomes, only to find that you have to track across the wet & long grass to get to them?!

We have had this on two sites recently; one in Shropshire in October & again on the North Norfolk coast this weekend.

I know that it is “pot luck” when you choose a small site but having advertised that they are open 12 months of the year & have hardstandings available, you would expect not to have to be towed offsite in the winter months. At the most recent one it would have been easier to have formed a large lay-by alongside the site road than to have actually put in a row of railway sleeper as the “hardstanding” about 10 ft off the verge.

Thankfully the owners have been OK about towing us out with four wheel drive vehicles but if we had needed to get away in an emergency, we would have had difficulties.

Perhaps I need to use Google Earth more to “see” what lies in store at the site!

Still, we had a good weekend at East Runton - Whinge over!

PilgrimPhil

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Why is it that CL/CS’s advertise that they have hardstandings suitable for motorhomes, only to find that you have to track across the wet & long grass to get to them?!!

PilgrimPhil

Agree entirely!
When using CL's CS's one is fully aware that it's not going to be on the same level as a fullblown Club site, but when a CL advertises that it has hardstandings, ESPECIALLY one which advertises itself as "all year", then that hardstanding should be of a usable standard and be properly accessible.:Angry:
This is just one of the reasons why we moved away from a CL that we'd been loosly based on for a number of years.
Every time winter came, we politely asked could the hardstanding be improved, even with just some cheap loose gravel as it became a swamp after the slightest rain. Every year, the farmer refused so in the end we left for better places.
The result is that the farmer has lost the steady income of a fulltimer for the sake of the cost of a few bags of gravel. Hardly rocket science. His loss!:Angry:

OP
OP
P

PilgrimPhil

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
If I knew how to upload photos I'd be able to show you what I mean!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Plenty of hardstanding here near Southampton and New Forest:thumb::thumb:

Looking South
100_0864.jpg

Looking west
100_0873.jpg

Looking East
Image008-1.jpg

Regards Pat

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Doesn't matter how big my hard standings are and how much stone we buy in, at least 50 ton on each pitch, some b****r will alway drive over my grass leaving great hugh ruts and not even saying sorry !
Of course CL and CS's are not allowed anyone to stay longer than 28 days.
My rant over ! :swear:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Doesn't matter how big my hard standings are and how much stone we buy in, at least 50 ton on each pitch, some b****r will alway drive over my grass leaving great hugh ruts and not even saying sorry !

Who would do a thing like that?:Doh::RollEyes:

Your hard standing are as good as it gets with the ability to take an RV on each one plus bullet proof electric.:thumb:

Your site is something quite special, you just dont know it:winky:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp

I know exactly how you feel Dylan I have had to tow 2 motorhomes off my grass one was a 30' RV the other a European both had tried to turn on the grass and got stuck:Angry::Angry:

Yet I have had 39' RV's turn successfully in the area by the greenhouse I have turned our 36' long RV many many times! Only one actually thanked me for the tow the other actually expected me to clamber under the camper to attach the tow strap (No chance:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) and both did not sort out the mess (ruts etc)they had made:Angry::Angry:

I am totally perplexed at some peoples actions:Angry::Angry: Oh and don't get me started on the loose rubbish in the bin marked BAGGED RUBBISH ONLY happened again last week:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Regards Pat

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks Pat I am so with you on this one. Do not want to put up signs everywhere but we have worked hard to get the campsite looking nice and Mark keeps the grass like a front lawn but how would other people like it if we turned on their front lawn :Doh: when you have got a road and plenty of turning areas. :RollEyes:

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
when going to sites i always set myself the target of trying never to touch the grass around the hardstandings its like a competition with myself ,but how site owners must despair last week at bashley park there were quite a few caravaners who parked there cars on the grass next to them ,then after i had been so careful i had a taxi back to the site and when he dropped me off he drove straight onto the grass on my pitch and turned around hell there are some dullheads out there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back