StickyWicket

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Is it me or is the driving on our roads getting worse - so many people now seem to be going through traffic lights once they are well and truly red and is indicating no longer required on motorways? It just seems to be common practice not to indicate whether changing lanes or leaving the motorway.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
short answer is yes, there is also the habit of cutting the corner when turning right and failure to treat mini roundabouts correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I find the biggest problem is when others are joining a motorway. Instead of matching their speed to fit in with the traffic on the motorway they start moving across to the inside lane and start blasting their horn if you don't get out of the way.
Also, why do a lot of drivers use front fog lights when it is not foggy.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
drivers who do 20/25 in 30 zones and then 30 in a 40 zone - slow down from 25 in a 30 to 20 as they go past a speed camera do my friggin head in, they must think they can score some brownie points :(

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I find the biggest problem is when others are joining a motorway. Instead of matching their speed to fit in with the traffic on the motorway they start moving across to the inside lane and start blasting their horn if you don't get out of the way.
Also, why do a lot of drivers use front fog lights when it is not foggy.

Because most of these Women don't know they're switched on!:reel::blush:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Also, why do a lot of drivers use front fog lights when its not foggy.
Source of heated discussion (We don't argue) between myself and SWMBO it is of course my fault as I should slow down to let them in. No says I there is a give way marking so they slow down to slot in behind me. If there is no room for me to pull over to let them in I am supposed to brake and slow down ?
Like most road rules - do we insist on what is right and risk an accident or drive safely and let them in? For me I would rather avoid an accident and try and control my own road rage.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
drivers who do 20/25 in 30 zones and then 30 in a 40 zone - slow down from 25 in a 30 to 20 as they go past a speed camera do my friggin head in, they must think they can score some brownie points :(

This might have something to do with badly calibrated speedometers, have you noticed the difference between the speed shown on the dash and that shown on your satnav?

In my experience the satnav is the more accurate indicator of speed and the speedo is usually indicating around 15% faster meaning that if you think you're doing, say, 28 mph in a 30 zone you're actually doing 23 / 24 mph.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The trouble with indicators is that WHEN people bother to switch them on they don't give any thought to what they are actually saying with the indicator, switch on two junctions before turning, don't cancell on roundabouts, use them on motorways to say I'm coming over like it or not.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I presumed that new cars did not have indicators! :rolleyes: Don't get me started on red lights :Eeek:

Driving standards round here are ****** ********* :swear2:

As for cyclists.............:imoutahere:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Using the motorbike quite a lot, and riding to the conditions, and road surface, this habit of cars who think that the centre white line is something to line their bonnet emblem up with, is proving to be bl**dy dangerous!
Taking a left hand bend on a bike means moving over to your side of the centre line, in order to get the maximum view, only to be confronted with a large 4x4, two feet into my side of the carriageway.........:Eeek::Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oddly, we have noticed that even in countries that are well known for some iffy driving habits, folk seem to be able ( 90% of the time ) to join motorways correctly, getting up to the speed of the traffic flow before joining.. In the UK in the past 10 years or so that ability seems to be getting rarer and rarer..
And do not get me started on bloody fog lights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted User
Source of heated discussion (We don't argue) between myself and SWMBO it is of course my fault as I should slow down to let them in. No says I there is a give way marking so they slow down to slot in behind me. If there is no room for me to pull over to let them in I am supposed to brake and slow down ?
Like most road rules - do we insist on what is right and risk an accident or drive safely and let them in? For me I would rather avoid an accident and try and control my own road rage.

For same reasons as you and out of courtesy I would pull over to other lane, if safe to do s0, or slow down and let them move over. What I often find is that they approach the motorway relatively slowly which means having to slow down to let them in and then they suddenly accelerate to a speed much faster than I am travelling. Why can't they adjust their road speed on the slip road so they can slot in to a gap without hindering others.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Regretfully it's all a part of our "must go/get it done faster" attitude that now pervades all of society. You see it on the pavements, in shopping queues, mobile phones (we used to have to wait to find a phone box - remember that?). As I get older I'm starting to take a more relaxed view of these folk, rushing towards their end. But at the same time I take great care not to hold anyone up if I can help it, whether it be maintaining the correct/ safe speed - they've obviously got something more important to do than me, although I'm quite capable of speeding too. That's what the 3 points and £60 fine got me!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For same reasons as you and out of courtesy I would pull over to other lane, if safe to do s0, or slow down and let them move over. What I often find is that they approach the motorway relatively slowly which means having to slow down to let them in and then they suddenly accelerate to a speed much faster than I am travelling. Why can't they adjust their road speed on the slip road so they can slot in to a gap without hindering others.
I was taught that on the slip road you matched your speed to that of the traffic you were joining so you could join the traffic correctly if there was a space. The joining traffic has to give way not the other way round.

I quite like the system on some busy freeways in the US where the joining traffic was controlled by lights at the top of the on ramp.

Deleted User
I was taught that on the slip road you matched your speed to that of the traffic you were joining so you could join the traffic correctly if there was a space. The joining traffic has to give way not the other way round.

I quite like the system on some busy freeways in the US where the joining traffic was controlled by lights at the top of the on ramp.

Quite right.
The highway code says give priority to traffic already on the motorway. If on a motorway I am quite happy to give way to others joining the motorway (out of safety and courtesy) it is when they demand right of way and sound horns and make gestures to get out of the way that annoys me.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Some of them on the m6 near wednesbury

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have always found that traffic joining a motorway in France tends to slow down rather than speed up . This is annoying especially in the motor home, as I end up slowing considerably just to let them in front. It seems to be a lack of confidence on their part. At least in the UK some do it right

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

that's in place on a number of junctions on the M42 during peak times - works in some cases but 2 junctions in particular when you are heading north east cause major tail backs...some numpty thought it would be great idea to introduce an HGV to a motorway from a standing start going up hill...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the approach to a motorway slip why would the following driver need to know you intend leaving the motorway ?

It has no relevance to what they intend doing unless they intended overtaking on your near side of course.

Nobody is joining the motorway so nobody in front needs to know your intended action.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Quite right.
The highway code says give priority to traffic already on the motorway. If on a motorway I am quite happy to give way to others joining the motorway (out of safety and courtesy) it is when they demand right of way and sound horns and make gestures to get out of the way that annoys me.
More than once i have seen the direct opposite.....a car at a standsill at the end of a slip road wanting to enter the traffic.

now that is lack of confidence

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it me or is the driving on our roads getting worse - so many people now seem to be going through traffic lights once they are well and truly red and is indicating no longer required on motorways? It just seems to be common practice not to indicate whether changing lanes or leaving the motorway.

Seems about what I see. Plus the usual mobile phone use. I can't understand really expensive cars which no doubt have hands free built in and the driver has a phone clamped to his/her ear. Hands free is still legal isn't it ?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
In all of my years and years of driving I have only ever come across one perfect driver and that, of course, is me.

A few others are just about ok...

with the rest being rubbish.

JJ :cool:

Same here - I have even got a clean driving licence

at the moment.

Deleted User
On the approach to a motorway slip why would the following driver need to know you intend leaving the motorway ?

It has no relevance to what they intend doing unless they intended overtaking on your near side of course.

Nobody is joining the motorway so nobody in front needs to know your intended action.

I think to indicate your intentions is common courtesy, there could be obstructions on the slip road not visible to the car behind that would necessitate braking whilst still on the carriageway.

On many occasions when catching up with another vehicle slowly,especially when in the truck,I have pulled out to overtake someone when if they had indicated to exit I would have waited until they had exited.

Apart from entering and exiting motorways, changing lane is the most dangerous manoeuvre.

More than once i have seen the direct opposite.....a car at a standsill at the end of a slip road wanting to enter the traffic.

now that is lack of confidence

On the continent it is quite normal to see vehicles stationary at the sometimes shorter slip roads, perhaps because they realise that that they have to give way.

I would agree that quite often in the UK it does boil down to lack of confidence, when my kids had passed their tests and were just starting to use motorways I told them to aim at around 55mph on the slip road as that is the speed the trucks will be going at and then adjust as neccessary.

A lot of people seem to forget that a car will accelerate as well as decelerate to fit into a gap.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
This all started a few years ago when leaner drivers were taught that they don't need to indicate if there is no other traffic about so when they pass their test they carry on not indicating. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back