Welsh Road Signs (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just returned from a trip from Derby to Bala

The best part of the journey was in Wales, but one thing stood out - as it always has - road signs in duplicate - English and Welsh - confusing, unnecessary and a waste of tax payers money - even village names that were almost the same duplicated - PC gone mad

This trip I noticed that all the business signs - advertising, descriptions were almost all only in English

Why ?

Businesses recognise that English is the common language - to repeat in Welsh would cost more and confuse customers - so they don't use Welsh

So public money is spent on both but business takes the sensible and less costly path

I can understand that place names should be in Welsh but signs giving information in both is just confusing

Simply ....... English is by far the dominant language in Wales, adding Welsh to road signs is potentially dangerous to non speakers - not just the English, but all visitors .........as said ..........PC gone mad

(n)

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Same with the bloody French, Germans, Italians and every body in Europe don't they know the dominate language is English (y)

The French, Germans and Italians do not speak English as their first language......................

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just returned from a trip from Derby to Bala
The best part of the journey was in Wales, but one thing stood out - as it always has - road signs in duplicate - English and Welsh - confusing, unnecessary and a waste of tax payers money - even village names that were almost the same duplicated - PC gone mad
This trip I noticed that all the business signs - advertising, descriptions were almost all only in English
Why ?
Businesses recognise that English is the common language - to repeat in Welsh would cost more and confuse customers - so they don't use Welsh
So public money is spent on both but business takes the sensible and less costly path

I can understand that place names should be in Welsh but signs giving information in both is just confusing
Simply ....... English is by far the dominant language in Wales, adding Welsh to road signs is potentially dangerous to non speakers - not just the English, but all visitors .........as said ..........PC gone mad
(n)

Basher, as a 'proud' Welshman (keep a hand on your wallet). I could not agree more, but are you aware that all bills, documents (V5 for instance) also have to be in Welsh and English. Cost to business is high and to the government (taxpayers) it must be astronomical. When a V5 or water bill arrives at our house there's two posties to carry the buggers:). Absolute stupidity at great cost and despite the 'austerity' measures of the last few years not one politician in Cardiff (yes we have another layer of politicos here too, though they have done some good things for Wales to the detriment of the English Taxpayers who subsidise us!)has ever raised the matter of the savings that might be made if bi-lingulism was stopped in it's tracks. :(

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
That's the same the world over, if they didn't spend (waste) the money on this it would be something else, can't see why you get up set about Welsh road signs it's not as if you don't know there in both languages before you enter Wales.

Reactions: kcy

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
That's the same the world over, if they didn't spend (waste) the money on this it would be something else, can't see why you get up set about Welsh road signs it's not as if you don't know there in both languages before you enter Wales.

I am Welsh, I live in Wales. Wales economy is frankly in the sh!te and were it not for the English taxpayer the wheels would probably fall off. (Subsidy is about a third of that paid to Scotland). Spending money on bilingualism at a time of austerity is pathetically insular!:(

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
They've been using bilingual signs for over 30 years and their not going to change now, if you want to pick a fight make it something more worth while then road signs.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

So waste is OK

Where did I say I was upset ? - it was an observation

Would tourists or visitors from the rest of the world know that the Welsh had a different language and that signs would be in Welsh ?

Road signs are supposed to help not confuse

(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I am Welsh I live in Wales, I don't speak Welsh, but I do respect that the Welsh Speaking community and there are a lot in Wales still where the main language spoken is Welsh, should have the road signs in there own language

On the question of duplicate forms sent out in Wales I find that a telephone call to whichever company reaypuesting only English Forms works well.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I am Welsh I live in Wales, I don't speak Welsh, but I do respect that the Welsh Speaking community and there are a lot in Wales still where the main language spoken is Welsh, should have the road signs in there own language
On the question of duplicate forms sent out in Wales I find that a telephone call to whichever company reaypuesting only English Forms works well.

There is much in what you say Carol, however this is a time of austerity and the Welsh NHS is creaking as a quick peek at any local paper will support. Further, since my great uncle from Beaumaris passed away I know no one whose first language is Welsh.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
After my trip to Cardiff two weeks ago, I was gonna start a 'Room 101' thread and suggest abolishing Welsh road signs. Someone else started a thread about Banning things and Welsh road signs was in the top 10 which I happily signed up to. What an absolute crock of $h1t paying out taxpayers money to confuse innocent travellers for what end ?
ps I have absolutely nothing against Welsh people, all the ones I met around Tenby and Cardiff were spot on.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Interestingly, I have family still in Wales and a couple of them are in nursing homes. Anyway in one of the nursing homes, where they deal with advanced dementure there are a couple of people who now only understand or speak welsh, where they used to converse in English. I always struggled with Welsh as a second language and found it more complicated. just odd that damaged brains seem to retain it better than English

Reactions: kcy

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There is much in what you say Carol, however this is a time of austerity and the Welsh NHS is creaking as a quick peek at any local paper will support. Further, since my great uncle from Beaumaris passed away I know no one whose first language is Welsh.

Bertie the signs are already in place so the cost would be in removing them, and I agree the NHS is creaking, but after my fall in Southport I got home and seen my Doctor the same day. On Friday we had a phone call Eds brother was quite ill in the evening the locum Doctor called, gave us a letter Brother in law was in hospital same night, so it's not quite as bad as you read in the papers.

Go 10 miles from here to Wrexham in a lot of the shops conversation is in Welsh, my daughter works in a school near Corwen, again Welsh is spoken , in every day life. I don't say that English is not widely spoken, but it is Wales and as such Wales should be allowed to keep there language where wanted.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bertie the signs are already in place so the cost would be in removing them, and I agree the NHS is creaking, but after my fall in Southport I got home and seen my Doctor the same day. On Friday we had a phone call Eds brother was quite ill in the evening the locum Doctor called, gave us a letter Brother in law was in hospital same night, so it's not quite as bad as you read in the papers.

Go 10 miles from here to Wrexham in a lot of the shops conversation is in Welsh, my daughter works in a school near Corwen, again Welsh is spoken , in every day life. I don't say that English is not widely spoken, but it is Wales and as such Wales should be allowed to keep there language where wanted.

Despite my earlier posts I can't argue with any of that Carol!(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
After my trip to Cardiff two weeks ago, I was gonna start a 'Room 101' thread and suggest abolishing Welsh road signs. Someone else started a thread about Banning things and Welsh road signs was in the top 10 which I happily signed up to. What an absolute crock of $h1t paying out taxpayers money to confuse innocent travellers for what end ?
ps I have absolutely nothing against Welsh people, all the ones I met around Tenby and Cardiff were spot on.

The thing is they are not there to confuse innocent travellers they are there because it's Wales and when you travel into other countries I know it's inconvienent but France / Germany/ Spain don't change there road signs to English and I believe we pay Taxes to the EU as well.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I don't say that English is not widely spoken, but it is Wales and as such Wales should be allowed to keep there language where wanted.

My post was meant to show the difference between public spending and the use of language in the private sector - road signs that might confuse travelers in Welsh and English - opposed to adverts etc in English only

- Just a matter of road safety and common sense - anti PC - not anti Welsh

(y)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm English born and bred but have lived all my married life (44 years) in Wales, I don't speak the language, well I know what ARAF means although I don't take any notice, but I get all my bills in dual language which is totally confusing as the type is so small the texts merge into one and I don't understand the English OR the Welsh:doh:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My post was meant to show the difference between public spending and the use of language in the private sector - road signs that might confuse travelers in Welsh and English - opposed to adverts etc in English only

- Just a matter of road safety and common sense - anti PC - not anti Welsh

(y)
[QUOTE="Barclaybasher, post: 1190367, member: 20541"

Yes I understand that, I was just pointing out the reasons why in Wales we have Welsh Signs. :Smile:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm English born and bred but have lived all my married life (44 years) in Wales, I don't speak the language, well I know what ARAF means although I don't take any notice, but I get all my bills in dual language which is totally confusing as the type is so small the texts merge into one and I don't understand the English OR the Welsh:doh:

Gooney, it doesn't matter what language the bill is in, I'm always confused:cry:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
So waste is OK

Where did I say I was upset ? - it was an observation

Would tourists or visitors from the rest of the world know that the Welsh had a different language and that signs would be in Welsh ?

Road signs are supposed to help not confuse

(y)

Why wouldnt they?

hows about this lot then...

2223321835_446efc8259.jpg
download.jpg
images.jpg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As a driver I think some of the information signs are dangerous as with having them in Welsh then English underneath it is natural to try to read it from the top and IMO you might not have time to read it all by the time you pass the sign and so miss important directions as an example.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
As a driver I think some of the information signs are dangerous as with having them in Welsh then English underneath it is natural to try to read it from the top and IMO you might not have time to read it all by the time you pass the sign and so miss important directions as an example.

Would I be right in thinking that your looking at this from the point of view of a none welsh speaker...if so spin that view around to one of a Local who is a Welshspeaker with limited command of English...believe it or not there are quite a few

Also, the signs differ between North and South Wales - in the North the signs are predominately Welsh first with English second, in the other way around in the South - for the very reasons youve highlighted...South Wales in the main has low numbers of Welsh speakers...where as North Wales has the opposite

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I am Welsh, born and bred. My parents are English, but I am Welsh and very proud of it.

I live just outside Swansea about 5 miles outside to be honest, and in my town or village as the locals call it Welsh is the first language of many people, probably 80% plus. I learned a little Welsh in school but my mother always said that I shouldn't take any notice because it was a "dead language", I should never have listened to her!

I am happy that Welsh is used as a daily language although I don't speak it myself and I probably never will now, but I think it is good that there are bilingual signs for names of towns and villages, but what really rattles my cage is using Welsh on the Motorway information signs!

How stupid can that be? You see a large information sign flashing up above the Motorway and it's in Welsh. 3 miles down the Motorway it's in English!! By this time you have already discovered the hazard!! It is bad enough for me but imagine how it feels for all the Eastern European lorry drivers thundering along the Motorway who can barely speak English let alone read Welsh!

I am all for keeping Welsh alive but not at the expense of road safety!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

There's the Answer then Paul, your driving too fast in your hairdressers car to read the signs:whistle::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back