Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie November 2014
Thanks for all your advice so far. Taking the plunge for first overnight stay this weekend with the dogs in tow, they are not impressed with it at the mo!
Just started loading up a few essentials and wondering how you store certain things, like wine bottles, lemonade, mugs etc., any tips would be great, thanks, Tracey

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You just need to stop things rattling. Paper towels, tea towels, purpose made stuff. Hard to generalise but you will know if you get it wrong!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Wine and large bottle I carry in a 6 bottle wine carrier you get from the supermarket. Mugs etc I wrap in bubble wrap then I throw a spar blanket in the locker to try and minimise any rattle. I'm sure others will be along to give you better advise. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We made a bottle stand* that goes into the dead space behind the driver's seat and the bulkhead. All the bottles go in there.

I got a roll of the stuff that is sold to stop rugs slipping from IKEA and cut bits off it to put between plates etc. Works great and much cheaper than the same stuff (or very similar) sold as drawer / shelf liner. Tea towels, towels, oven gloves and apron get pushed in where there is space. Somehow it all works but I want to get cupboard dividers to make it easier to get stuff out as the anti-slip stuff works a bit too well at times.

*based on the wine carrier David mentioned above but dimensions altered to fit the space.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We invested in camping plates/bowls/ mugs etc. light and don't rattle. Heavy stuff low down over an axle if you can and pack everything tight, bedding/ pillows high up. If your anything like us you will be moving stuff around a lot :LOL:

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Wine bottles in socks. Some of that grey neoprene convoluted stuff from Aldi to stop cooker shelves rattling. Plate rack, the type where you stack them vertically so they lean on each other and, also, take up minimum space. Glasses in a purpose made wall rack. Mugs in individual plastic bags (zip seal work). Everything else in the kitchen in little plastic baskets, because the cupboards are higher than the ones in our kitchen at home and, consequently, are awkward for accessing stuff at the back, so we lift the baskets out.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
In 8 years (low numbers compared to some I know) ooftowing a tin shed and now the camper I have always just put it away.. plate rack for the space saving, cups and glasses upside down on a sheet of the non slip stuff and bottles laid down in a low cupboard. Only ever had a single glass broken in transit and the only rattle is the cutlery draw (which I now pad with t-towels.

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
In 8 years (low numbers compared to some I know) ooftowing a tin shed and now the camper I have always just put it away.. plate rack for the space saving, cups and glasses upside down on a sheet of the non slip stuff and bottles laid down in a low cupboard. Only ever had a single glass broken in transit and the only rattle is the cutlery draw (which I now pad with t-towels.

Think you'll find, now you've moved in with the 'orchestra', you'll notice a lot more noise than when tugging. Try some of that non-slip stuff in your cutlery drawer. It's the drawer itself that produces most noise. Lying the bottles down is a good idea, if you can stop them sliding about or rolling,

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use ikea plate racks and stack the crockery plates flat. We found a foam 'template' in Germany for different size glasses to stand in and we put these little latex sock things on the glasses as they stack to stop them rattling... We have a couple of muggi's for mugs. We use a large food container for the double skillet... (thanks Graham)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Have to say, in the Bessie the pan supports on the hob used to rattle, presumably against the glass 'lid'. So I used to lay a teatowel opened, over the hob and shut the glass lid down on that.

All the baking tins and one frying pan live inside the oven, with a knackered frayed and worn out old hand-towel is wrapped round them. The grill pan which does rattle about in its cavity, also gets wrapped in ditto.

Shelves covered in the non-slip stuff, Arcopal 'crockery' stacked, folded into 8 clean teatowels stacked on top of the teaplates standing on the diner plates. Mugs upside down on the non-slip.

Cutlery drawer doesn't rattle! - but then, it is full.

Larder - plastic baskets for condiments, any glass jars and odds and ends, tins in a single layer. Fresh veg in 'garage' under bed, in a faux linen shopping bag Jacksons gave us once at one of the shows.

A lot of the stuff in there eg shoes, is in 'stacka crates' - the sort that fold flat when they are empty. Spare bedlinen and towels are in two large lidded plastic boxes, which also stack. Sort of like giant Tupperware with a breathable seal LOL Dirt cheap one day from B &M, think they were about £3 each. Other places seemed to charge nearly a tenner for the same thing.

We each have an overhead locker and a drawer each. We each have plastic baskets - I keep underwear in one, socks and odds and ends in the other. Pete much the same and we can stack the baskets on the locker bottom shelf (none of that stuff needs to be flat anyway really) so we still each have 1.5 shelves for whatever. And some hanging space in the wardrobe but that's not very huge.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
like Sedge said,towel across kitchen top then sink cover and hob glass on top, all heavy stuff at low level, bottles and cans lay flat on towels and cover in towels, check doors for rattles, I use self adhesive draught excluder to stop these. inside ovens and grills can be a major rattle source - again towels and tea -towels help.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
My Moho has a slide out bar the straps bottles and glasses in place. Hey, that's rock and roll for ya :D

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If your fridge has a lock, don't forget to lock it before you set off.

Many a time in my last van the fridge contents would spew out into the van on the first roundabout we came to.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suppose a lot top up like we do on sachets of mustard, sauce, mayo etc whenever eating out and keep them in a plastic container in the m/h to save taking bottles.Leaves room for essentials (spare wine)

David

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Lin has crocheted (probably not how it's spelt, but hey, I'm not perfect), some pockets to put the plates and saucepan lids in.
We also use loads of that rubbery stuff used for non slip matting.

One of the problems we've had with both the vans we've had is a rattling shower door.
In both cases we've found using lengths of foam pipe insulation slipped over the edges has solved the problem

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
sdc77 - what's a 'muggi' ?
We didn't know either - but Googled it & (ignoring the unfortunate Urban Dictionary meaning :giggle:) found this
http://muggi.co.uk/collections/all
muggi-black_large.jpg

Great idea if enough room in your cupboards (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Dogs will be more impressed if you let them sit inside with you rather than towing them:)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We just get used to the rattling.

When we had an old Veedub we used to use a cheapo hammock to store odds and sods in - makes good use of any spare vertical space.

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
A couple we met talked about a Dutch couples solution, obviously no use if you place heavy objects in an upper locker, nothing will prevent a spill. To prevent rattles and stop lighter objects moving they filled a binsack with air and fastened it off, placing it in the cupboard to fill the remaining space. Yes, not a perfect seal on the bag so some leakage, but they said they had tried it and it did work, stopped done movement and some banging/rattles. I think they used freezer bag plastic clips to provide the seal.

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Used to do something similar to the Dutch couple, with our last M/H. Stuffed a partly inflated plastic football in the oven to stop the grill rattling. It had the double benefit of quietening the grill pan.

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Not sure how old your van is but One of the biggest successes and greatest difference for us was having new shock absorbers fitted to the rear, (we had air assisters on the front) this took out a lot of drone and bounce that eliminated lots of the rattles. Reduced som e much noise.

If your van is older why not get then checked, if they need changing you will be amazed at the difference for the sake of a few hundred pound

Happy MoHo ing.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2010
'Single use' supermarket bags around everything. Then re-used as wate bin liners. Otherwise earplugs.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back