Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Reading a recent thread has certainly set the cat among the pigeons.

Truck and RV drivers seem to be the brunt of an unfair portion of the discussion. I drive an RV, and to do so, along with many HGV drivers have taken significant additional training, unlike many other car, van, MO drivers, Having to pass both Roadcraft theory and Hazard Perception. The hazard Perception test is the same as you are required to take for a car test except that the pass mark is a lot higher. How many others have honestly taken an additional training in pursuit of their hobby, including motorised and non motorised modes

our elevated position allows not only a commanding view ahead over most of the traffic,which we need to plan and execute our progress, but also some real idiotic behaviour both on the road, and inside the vehicle where they think they cannot be seen in their cars and lorry cabs.

A lot of the training is about safety and attitude, after all you must be able to drive before being allowed into a training vehicle, so to brand RV and truck drivers pratts is a little unfair, we all make many thousand of decisions during a drive, and most are good, some may be bad, but being tolerant of others' errors certainly lends itself to a happier and stress free drive

Happy safe and tolerant driving

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Nearly all drivers of large vehicles are respected by almost everyone, but sadly there is a small minority on both sides that gives each a bad name.

True, all too true........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont think idiotic driving is the sole reserve of RV or truck drivers. Have seen just about every form of road user do stupid things at some time or other from cyclists to HGVs. In my driving career have made a few myself. The problem is that when a cyclist makes a mistake he has a cut knee. When an RV or Truck driver makers one, people die and it immediately gets into the news.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Like where to throw that bottle of wee or tin foil package of poo?

Have you actually seen it, or just heard about it?
Which hit you, the bottle or the tin foil?

Neither can be achieved without stopping.
Once stopped, it's doubtful anyone would perform in the cab.
Who would want the smell in their place of work, in many cases places their bedroom?

Never seen it or known of it in my 36 years in the Transport Industry.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
And now every driver who earns his/her living has to undertake 35 hours of training every 5 years.

When did YOU last undertake any form of training?:(

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I find, on a typical trip in Europe, we do about 3,000 miles. In that time somebody will honk their horn at me probably twice or three times. For my part I never need to honk my horn at anyone.

Does this prove I am a bad driver and everyone else is a good driver?

On another issue, it would be nice if european drivers indicated which exit they intended to take on a roundabout; the traffic would flow much more smoothly if we didn't have to hold back only to find out at the last second that they were exiting prior to our entry.

Just to get it all of my chest I draw your attention to when you are exiting a side road with limited visibility. It seems to happen that the road is clear within your seeing distance but unknown to you there is a boy racer just out of view screaming along at 60 mph. No sooner do you enter the road and he is flashing his lights and honking his horn and he is convinced that you are the worst driver on the road.

OK, I'm done. Just like last night I have had three beers.... and I'm ready for another.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Have you actually seen it, or just heard about it?
Which hit you, the bottle or the tin foil?

Neither can be achieved without stopping.
Once stopped, it's doubtful anyone would perform in the cab.
Who would want the smell in their place of work, in many cases places their bedroom?

Never seen it or known of it in my 36 years in the Transport Industry.

The bottle actually, thrown out of a lorry just off junction 47 M4. We were walking the dogs in the woods.

Just look at the side of any main road, you don't really think those are full bottles of lucazade do you?

There is a group of walkers who have decided to clean up the verges near their village, they report regularly picking up human waste.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I have been driving motorhomes for about 15yrs,for the last 7 yrs RV,s.i took my C-Class and C+E for my own peace of mind and to stay legal.i went into my HGV training thinking I knew everything there was to know about driving.boy was I brought down to earth with a bump.i learned a terrific amount about awareness and road safety so I was really glad to have taken both tests.(y)
Brian & Jo

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Mousy,
Cant think of any reason for a driver to do this.
You took the lorry's number and reported it?
Again, how can it be done without stopping, shouldn't think it could be done on the move, and once stopped why pee in a bottle or crap in a packet?
I have never been taught how to do either.
Maybe the Lucazade bottles have been deposited by walkers, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists, etc?
Is the human waste the walkers pick up definitely drivers' waste?
Are there lorry sized parking places near these verges?
Is there evidence, or is blaming drivers the easy option??

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As an ex HGV driver of 22 yrs I can assure you it is possible to pee in a bottle on the move if desperate enough.
As for giving respect to HGV's I most certainly do because you never know what the hell they are going to do next recently!
If I wanted to overtake something on the motorway before I even indicated I would look to see if I pulled out would any traffic behind me have room to move over into lane three, now 99% of them just pull out and bugger everyone else.
Also tell me when the dotted line as you enter a motorway stopped being a give way sign and became a move over I'm coming on line?
The rumble strip at the edge of the hard shoulder used to be called the wake up call for drivers drifting as they had a nap, now it's because there watching their computer, doing paperwork, setting the sat nag, as I'm doing 50.000 mls a year ( or was ) I've seen it all and it's frightening.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Mousy,
Cant think of any reason for a driver to do this.
You took the lorry's number and reported it?
Again, how can it be done without stopping, shouldn't think it could be done on the move, and once stopped why pee in a bottle or crap in a packet?
I have never been taught how to do either.
Maybe the Lucazade bottles have been deposited by walkers, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists, etc?
Is the human waste the walkers pick up definitely drivers' waste?
Are there lorry sized parking places near these verges?
Is there evidence, or is blaming drivers the easy option??

It's called Driver Tizer by road workers clearing verges of tonnes and tonnes of litter every year.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My gripe with truck drivers is that they drive far too close and when it all goes pear shaped they can't stop and the poor sod in the car in between loses all.

walter senior

Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
Hi. i am 77 and been driving since i was 17. i have categories. am. a. b1. b. c1. c. d1. d. be. c1e. ce. d1e. de. i have never had a accident so i think i am lucky or i have good bit of experience thats my thinking. walter.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My gripe with truck drivers is that they drive far too close and when it all goes pear shaped they can't stop and the poor sod in the car in between loses all.

They do it to either save fuel or if the are limited to 50/52 they get a tow from a 56 mph truck. DO NOT get in between them.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi. i am 77 and been driving since i was 17. i have categories. am. a. b1. b. c1. c. d1. d. be. c1e. ce. d1e. de. i have never had a accident so i think i am lucky or i have good bit of experience thats my thinking. walter.

Well done Walter, your a very lucky man or don't get out much. ;)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Did I call ALL HGV and RV drivers prats?

No I bloody didnt!

I said some prat, that equally applies to any driver of anything!

So please get your facts right before mounting your crusade.

Thank you!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Ok.
Drivers are the scrum of the earth, responsible for the world's ills, including bottles of pee and parcels of crap thrown out by all and sundry, along with tonnes of rubbish throw out just by them.

I have seen shifty nappies in lay by' s, also seen cars pull up, let the dog out for a crap then drive off.
No famous "pick up".
Also seen kids get of cars, be held up to crap and the whole business left.
Seen walkers come outof bushes pulling their pants up.

Look at a bigger picture, folks.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Not to mention motorhomers dumping grey waste on the highway, toilet waste in bushes and on beach sand dunes.

Big picture, isn't it?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

I have seen shifty nappies in lay by' s, also seen cars pull up, let the dog out for a crap then drive off.
No famous "pick up".
Also seen kids get of cars, be held up to crap and the whole business left.
Seen walkers come outof bushes pulling their pants up.

You have seen all of that but never seen a lorry driver throw a bottle of piss?
I've seen it many times but worst of all is a gang of blokes in a minibus :Eeek:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
No, can honestly say I' 've never known it.

Blokes in a minibus can't be laid at lorry drivers' door

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Ok.
Drivers pee in the car parks.
Nobody else does, obviously.

Bored now, going in circles.
I'm done.

graham&shirley

Free Member
Jul 1, 2014
Preston lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
What the hell has peeing in bottles car parks or where ever got to do with this thread?

I think this has come about because of the Suicidal Cyclists when some one quoted
some pratt in a lorry (or RV) will take advantage of all that space.
Some euro vans are bigger than some RVs.

Ok we have an RV but I am a member of this club as well as RVOC.
I joined this club so we can rally together at some events not to fall out with
anyone.
Just dont like being called a Pratt:(. Mo's used to it ;)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I would say I'm pretty well trained.. In fact I recently took some extra training... But it doesn't matter how well trained you are or how proficient. Most accidents or collisions as they are now called are caused by a drivers misjudgement... Wether that be by being innatentive or misjudging something or an illness.
Anyone can make a mistake.. Or.. On a long journey have a momentary lapse in concentration or be distracted.. Cyclists Car drivers lorry drivers coach drivers and motorhome drivers too.
I've seen plenty of experienced drivers cone to grief..
So there's no point in spouting on about how qualified you are and how long you've been driving when it can all be undone in a second by a simple lapse... I do hope no one's going to say they have never been distracted.
Most important thing is we all stay as safe as possible in our vehicles and enjoy life to the full... (even cyclists)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back