Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi all,
could you tell me please where your aerial is mounted, front left wing ?

Reason is my reception is poor yet a good quality radio is fitted, and no aerial visiible !!
I took the passenger side dash apart and behold the usual rubber aerial was found just lying on the car dash but under the plastic dash if you get what i mean, some lazy arsed installer from new i guess ?

I will if i have to drill the wing but any good alternatives ?

Thanks

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Believe it or not it's in the wing mirror and about as much use as a cat flap in a submarine.

I gave up and put one on the roof.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You are lucky, many have found that the aerial wire goes up towards the roof but was cut off when the converter removed the roof to fit the overcab.

I dont like drilling bodywork, so would recomend you fit an internal aerial that sticks to the inside of the windscreen.

Later model vans have the aerial built into the passenger door mirror

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You are lucky, many have found that the aerial wire goes up towards the roof but was cut off when the converter removed the roof to fit the overcab.

I dont like drilling bodywork, so would recomend you fit an internal aerial that sticks to the inside of the windscreen.

Later model vans have the aerial built into the passenger door mirror

Crikey didnt know that.
Are the windscreen ones ok then ?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
radio aerial

If youre interested I have a windscreen aerial unused, pm me I bought it off e bay but have never fitted it:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Crikey didnt know that.

the better quality ones with an amplifier work, the ones for about £5 and just stickybacked plastic not so good

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
the better quality ones with an amplifier work, the ones for about £5 and just stickybacked plastic not so good

Thanks i will check it out as drilling holes in wings is a last resort for sure.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Mine is stuck to the windscreen. It seems fine but then I don't listen to a lot of radio.

bobh

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
Hi all,
could you tell me please where your aerial is mounted, front left wing ?

Reason is my reception is poor yet a good quality radio is fitted, and no aerial visiible !!
I took the passenger side dash apart and behold the usual rubber aerial was found just lying on the car dash but under the plastic dash if you get what i mean, some lazy arsed installer from new i guess ?

I will if i have to drill the wing but any good alternatives ?

Thanks
Had rubish reception on my 2010 ducato so dealer fitted a n/s wing aerial
and said they do a lot of them reception now better but not perfect:Eeek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
WE had a bendy rubber aerial fitted on the left hand front wing of our Ducato, and the radio works fine.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Attached is the Autotrail wiring diagram. You can see that the aerial is supposed to be in the NS mirror. Mine didn't work so I ran a cable from the status aerial to the head unit & that works well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
Mine is a useless piece of rubbery plastic sticking out of the nearside wing. Reception is crap and I am thinking of replacing it with one fitted into the lockers over the windscreen.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mine is a useless piece of rubbery plastic sticking out of the nearside wing. Reception is crap and I am thinking of replacing it with one fitted into the lockers over the windscreen.
Different type of van and aerial but it might be the same external screw connection problem as we had. Fixed it using a dab of petroleum jelly as described Broken Link Removed. It might be worth a go before spending more money.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the small panel above the head lights is plastic easy to drill and esay to replace if iut goes wrong thing you have to line with foil to get a ground plane or so im told

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
Different type of van and aerial but it might be the same external screw connection problem as we had. Fixed it using a dab of petroleum jelly as described Broken Link Removed. It might be worth a go before spending more money.
Thanks for that GJH, I'll give it a go.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An alternative to drilling 'oles: mount the aerial on the edge of your solar panel & bring the cable in through the same hole. only works if you have a solar panel.:D

A more sensible tip: before fitting a replacement buy a cheap car aerial & a coax extension then in a weak signal area try it in various positions on the van until you get the best results. Which will be on the edge of your solar panel.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................

No I only get reception when parked, luckily I do have a hole in the wing & working on fixing this issue for good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back