Speed Limit From March 2007 ? (1 Viewer)

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Guys

I seem to recall reading about a EU enforced speed limit for all vehicles over 7.5t - but can't remember what the outcome was.

Whilst working last night, a motorhomer gave me a cutting from one of this weeks magazines which states :-

"Readers who own a motorhome over 7.5 tonnes are reminded about the new EU legislation which came into effect in March restricting them to a speed limit of 56mph"

The magazine is printing more next month.

So, has this actually come into effect and do we need to do anything about it ?

Paul

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
So, has this actually come into effect and do we need to do anything about it ? Paul

:whatthe: I've not seen anything about it. But if correct? You will have to set the Cruise Control to a slower speed. Then again. How many take any notice of Speed Limits anywhere in the UK?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You Heavyweight RV guys could always lose weight?:Doh:

Only joking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Guys

I seem to recall reading about a EU enforced speed limit for all vehicles over 7.5t - but can't remember what the outcome was.

Whilst working last night, a motorhomer gave me a cutting from one of this weeks magazines which states :-

"Readers who own a motorhome over 7.5 tonnes are reminded about the new EU legislation which came into effect in March restricting them to a speed limit of 56mph"

Paul

Paul,

I think you will find it applies to "Goods" vehicles:Smile:. The speed limit in Germany for motorhomes over 3500kg is 100kph(was 80kph). This came about after much lobbying by the German motorhome clubs.::bigsmile:

I better use the smilies as I don't want any aggro. :thumb:

Don

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Speed limits are specified by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (as amended).

The limits vary by type of road and depend on weight and length of vehicle and whether it is drawing a trailer.

Limits for vehicles which weigh in excess of 7.5 tonnes are lower than those for lighter vehicles.

You will find speed limits which affect all motorhomes Here.

Graham

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
So, ANY motorcaravan can do 70 on a motorway - unless you are towing a trailer (or a-frame/car) and it's then 60mph.

Did I read that correctly?

Paul

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So, ANY motorcaravan can do 70 on a motorway - unless you are towing a trailer (or a-frame/car) and it's then 60mph.

Did I read that correctly?

Paul

That appears to be the case, unless it exceeds 12 metres in length.

I would think that the description of the vehicle on the V5 would need to state Motor Caravan though, otherwise it would be classed as a goods vehicle.

Graham

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Paul

Actually you seem to be misreading it, 70 for motorhome alone, its ilegal to travel at any speed with an A Frame attached, it would be 60 with a legal trailer attached.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Graham

To be classed as a goods vehicle it needs to actually be a goods vehicle, ie if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Ps this is exactly as described by Marsham who are the only Arbiters of vehicle classification in UK Law

If you were to falsely reclassify an actual Goods vehicle as a motorhome it would still be ilegal to exceed the Goods vehicle speed.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I have read somewhere that if a Motor Caravan is used for business purposes, ie, going to a show to transport goods to be sold on a stand at the show, then it is classed as a commercial vehicle and subject to commercial vehicle rules such as tacho's etc. Can anyone confirm as the forthcoming Drivers CPC starting in 2008 for PCV Drivers and 2009 for LGV Drivers could mean further training to unsuspecting Drivers.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
I have read somewhere that if a Motor Caravan is used for business purposes, ie, going to a show to transport goods to be sold on a stand at the show, then it is classed as a commercial vehicle and subject to commercial vehicle rules such as tacho's etc.

Would need tacho only if it were a goods vehicle over a certain weight, so the question needs to be, have they made it into a goods vehicle? does it look like a duck and quack like a duck?

Can anyone confirm as the forthcoming Drivers CPC starting in 2008 for PCV Drivers and 2009 for LGV Drivers could mean further training to unsuspecting Drivers.

Yes I can confirm that it will not mean further training for non professional drivers, please define an unsuspecting driver?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

To be classed as a goods vehicle it needs to actually be a goods vehicle, ie if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Ps this is exactly as described by Marsham who are the only Arbiters of vehicle classification in UK Law

If you were to falsely reclassify an actual Goods vehicle as a motorhome it would still be ilegal to exceed the Goods vehicle speed.

Perhaps I should have been clearer as I wasn't wishing to start a debate on vehicle classifications.

As far as I understand it most motorhomes based on the likes of Sevel vehicles or larger have a Taxation Class on the V5C of Private/Light Goods or Private Heavy Goods Vehicle (ours, based on a Boxer, certainly has the former).

The V5C should also state that the Body Type is Motor Caravan but if it isn't the vehicle might be classed as a goods vehicle by the (possibly automated) systems used to enforce legislation.

From articles I have read it would seem that some motorhomes (for whatever reason) have been registered with a different body type. Although the owner of a vehicle threatened with prosecution might win the case that could be at the cost of wasted time and stress.

Much easier to check that the V5C is in order before such an event might occur.

Graham

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
The V5C should also state that the Body Type is Motor Caravan but if it isn't the vehicle might be classed as a goods vehicle by the (possibly automated) systems used to enforce legislation.

Good point, there are several automated systems that this could cause a problem with in the nr future, up until now its not actually caused a problem.

I am guessing that maybe larger motorhomes will find that they cant get a class 4 MOT at the new computerised stations until its rectified etc etc.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
back to the initial post, that legislation refers to restrictors fitted to vehicles, not a new abitrary speed limit.

Thats why you have lorries overtaking and taking several miles to accomplish it, as one is ever so slightly faster than the other, due to no 2 restrictors being exactly alike.

PPS

Motorhomes have legally been able to remove these restrictors (when fitted) as they are not Goods vehicles.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Hi Guys

Paul

I do not know if it will effect motorhomes but it is now effective and law for goods vehicles over 7.5t.
It has been the case for the larger trucks for several years, but it now includes the 7.5toners.
The 7.5 ton gross vehicles now have to have a limiter fitted, obviously there will be a cut off year but not sure how far back

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I have read somewhere that if a Motor Caravan is used for business purposes, ie, going to a show to transport goods to be sold on a stand at the show, then it is classed as a commercial vehicle and subject to commercial vehicle rules such as tacho's etc. Can anyone confirm as the forthcoming Drivers CPC starting in 2008 for PCV Drivers and 2009 for LGV Drivers could mean further training to unsuspecting Drivers.

Fordson,

I think you were referring to "Living Vans" see http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome_speed_limits.shtml

Thank god I've only got a little one:Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

Don

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Fordson

Nothing in that link as changed for traders, living van legislation as been in effect for donkies years, what bit are you misreading?

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Hi Fordson

Nothing in that link as changed for traders, living van legislation as been in effect for donkies years, what bit are you misreading?

George,

My interpretation which may be totally wrong was that if anybody used their Motorhome to go to Retail Shows carrying Goods that they would sell at the Show as a small business, then that would mean the van was not a Private Use Motorhome and therefore came under " Commercial " legislation.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My interpretation which may be totally wrong was that if anybody used their Motorhome to go to Retail Shows carrying Goods that they would sell at the Show as a small business, then that would mean the van was not a Private Use Motorhome and therefore came under " Commercial " legislation.

I don't think that would be the case but you would need business use cover on the insurance. Plenty of people use their cars for business purposes (we, for instance, use our car for carrying equipment and stock for sale at family history fairs) but that doesn't alter the taxation class.

Graham

OP
OP
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Don refered to the article on ukmotorhomes.net and added a link for it.

Just in case that linked page ever gets removed, here is the text from it :

Hopefully, it solves the problem (but may be hassle for you exhibitors out there) ..............

No new speed limits or limiters for motorhomes

Recent speculation (August 2007) has suggested that there are to be new speed limits introduced for large motorhomes (over 7.5 tonnes), and even that they might be required to have speed limiters fitted, to comply with recent legislation for goods vehicles.

We questioned (Steve Whitehart at) VOSA to get the latest information.

They told us:

"Regarding speed limits, provided the motor homes are "motor caravans" then
they are subject to pasenger vehicle speed limits, which are 70 mph on a
motorway or dual carriageway and 60mph on other roads unless a lower speed
limit applies, provided the unladen weight (not MAM) is not over 3050 kg.
If the UW is over 3050 kg then the speed limits are 70 mph on a
motorway, 60 mph dual carriageway and 50 mph on other roads."

"Provided that motor homes are not constructed to carry more than 8
passengers, or used to carry goods or burden other than those items
necessary for the purpose of living in the vehicle, then they are not
subject to speed limiter fitment regardless of weight. They are considered
as "motor caravans" which are passenger vehicles with as many passsenger
seats that the vehicle was designed to transport so excluding from the
passenger count seats in living or seating areas not intended for use in
transport."

'Living vans', i.e. motorhomes which carry goods or burden not directly necessary for the purpose of living in the vehicle, are classed as goods vehicles and subject to current goods vehicle requirements for speed limits and the fitting of speed limiters.

"Goods vehicles up to and including 3500 kg MAM do not and
will not need a speed limiter. Those over 3500 kg but not over 7500 kg MAM
newer than 1 October 2001 need or will need a speed limiter. Those over
7500kg but not over 12,000kg MAM newer than 1August 1992, and those over
12,000 kg MAM newer than 1 January 1988 also need a speed limiter."

'Living vans' are most commonly those motorhomes used by, for example, motorcycle race teams where part of the vehicle is used as storage or workshop purposes, the definition will also include any motorhome used to carry goods for exhibition or sale, for example traders at motorhome shows that carry stock, equipment, etc., in the vehicle. Owners who think that their use of a motorhome could mean that it is classified as a living van would be well advised to acquaint themselves with goods vehicle legislation.

:thumb:
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Paul,

I think you will find it applies to "Goods" vehicles:Smile:. The speed limit in Germany for motorhomes over 3500kg is 100kph(was 80kph). This came about after much lobbying by the German motorhome clubs.::bigsmile:

I better use the smilies as I don't want any aggro. :thumb:

Don

I can confirm what Don has written. Motor Homes over 3.5 Kg's has a limit of 100km per hour in Germany. I usually drive around 90km, nice speed and I save fuel.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Never been proved that A frames are illegal and anyone whose towed a car behind an RV using one will know the tail never wags the dog:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back