sat nav recommendation (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Apologies, this must have been discussed many times but I have tried searching the site and am still unsure on which sat nav to purchase.
I am looking for either a TomTom or Garmin that will give free lifetime map upgrades and also allow me to download POI's. I have been warned that a lot of the newer TomToms don't have this facility.
Has anyone recently purchased a sat nav that will suit my requirements.
Thank you.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Apologies again, have just found the GPS Naigation section and there seems to be a lot of useful information there.
has anyone tried the Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav

Last edited by a moderator:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
No need to apologise we were all new once & had the same questions :) Have Garmin Dezl 560LMT as has lorry routes & takes size of motorhome into account but not a cheap option at around £260. Not uploaded any POI yet. Tried the Tom Tom Caravan one & it was no better than standard one.
Lots on here swear by Co Pilot app on phone or use car sat nav & check route on maps & Google Street View. Sure some Funsters will be along soon to share their experiences (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I use Google maps on my android phone when I'm in the UK on unlimited data and I have an app on my Samsung phablet that I use when I'm in Europe as it works without data connection.. I have a TomTom that I keep for emergencies such as if a phone got broken but it is an old one..

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you for your helpful replies

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Apologies again, have just found the GPS Naigation section and there seems to be a lot of useful information there.
has anyone tried the Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav
We've got a Garmin Nuvi
Very pleased - worth buying a mini memory card as the European maps are large
Much better tha our TomTom

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do you have a smartphone, either iphone or Android? If so you can buy an app with all the maps "on board". You will then need to buy a holder and car charger, but will still be cheaper than getting a dedicated sat nav.

Tom Tom have an app for iphone and Android, but I prefer Sygic, which I have been using on Android for about 5 years now. They use Tom Tom maps and it is on special offer at £23 for the whole of Europe at the moment. Once you have paid you get free software and map updates for ever.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I have an Android smartphone but the display is too small for me to use as a sat nav with lane guidance display. I find a 5" screen about right for me.
Also I am not sure how much data a smartphone would need to run the apps. I currently have a sim only deal with a limited amount of data and if I need more data then the monthly cost will go up.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have an Android smartphone but the display is too small for me to use as a sat nav with lane guidance display. I find a 5" screen about right for me.
Also I am not sure how much data a smartphone would need to run the apps. I currently have a sim only deal with a limited amount of data and if I need more data then the monthly cost will go up.
My Nexus 5 has a 5" screen, but I used Sygic with lane assist on a 4.2" screen and it was OK for me (and my eyes are not brilliant)

If you buy the apps (Sygic or Tom Tom) they store all the maps and other data on the phone, so they do not use any data at all. With Sygic you can choose which countries to store to save storage space. Different with free apps like Google nav, which does use data. I have used Sygic extensively in Europe and the USA and never paid any roaming data charges. However if you want to use live traffic then that would use data, but not a lot.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We bought the cheap Chinese one from E Bay and used it on our recent trip to the UK . We did use it on the return journey in conjunction with our Garmin and to be honest the Chinese one was far superior ! No more turn around or sending us up tiny roads so for the money very happy with it.

OP
OP

Deleted User
My Nexus 5 has a 5" screen, but I used Sygic with lane assist on a 4.2" screen and it was OK for me (and my eyes are not brilliant)

If you [you]buy [/you]the apps (Sygic or Tom Tom) they store all the maps and other data on the phone, so they do not use any data at all. With Sygic you can choose which countries to store to save storage space. Different with free apps like Google nav, which does use data. I have used Sygic extensively in Europe and the USA and never paid any roaming data charges. However if you want to use live traffic then that would use data, but not a lot.

Thank you this information. I will look into this as it does seem a good option but not being that savvy when it comes to smartphones, apps etc, it may take a while to sus it out.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you this information. I will look into this as it does seem a good option but not being that savvy when it comes to smartphones, apps etc, it may take a while to sus it out.
Not sure about Tom Tom but with Sygic you can download is for free from the Play Store (or app store with iphone) and use it for a week to see how it goes. Then you can buy the maps via an in-app purchase. As others have said you can also use copilot, but I tried that for a while for USA maps, but did not like it as much as Sygic. So when I updated my phone I bought the USA maps for Sygic instead.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I have looked at installing Sygic app but I have to give the app permission for access to various things such as "Contacts / Calendar, "Photos /Media/ Files", "Camera / Microphone.
Anyone know why it is necessary to give such access and can I say no and still down the app.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Contacts are because you can get them to navigate to a Contact's address, without having to enter it again - works well. Media files are so that they can use their own media files for the voices etc, Camera because you can also navigate to a photo you have taken on the phone (if it includes coordinates as part of its metadata). Also I think you can take a photo and then share it and its coordinates on social media using Sygic (never used it). Not sure about the rest, but they seem harmless enough. And remember they are lot less than the permissions you gave Google when you first set up Android on your phone.

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
The Garmin Dezl 760LM is really good, it comes with all the aires included, has a 7 inch screen and for about £100 extra you can add a reversing camera.
The unit though not cheap is worth the extra. You can add your height and width and this will keep you away from low and or narrow hazards.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Contacts are because you can get them to navigate to a Contact's address, without having to enter it again - works well. Media files are so that they can use their own media files for the voices etc, Camera because you can also navigate to a photo you have taken on the phone (if it includes coordinates as part of its metadata). Also I think you can take a photo and then share it and its coordinates on social media using Sygic (never used it). Not sure about the rest, but they seem harmless enough. And remember they are lot less than the permissions you gave Google when you first set up Android on your phone.

I assume they are harmless but giving access to say your microphone, will that not allow someone to listen into your personal conversations. There doesn't seem to be an option to bar any access, it is accept it all or you can't go ahead and use the app.
As I have said previously I am not that savvy to this type of technology and perhaps I am being too sensitive to allow the access of information. I am always suspicious of requests like this but perhaps that's life.
Thanks again for your help.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I assume they are harmless but giving access to say your microphone, will that not allow someone to listen into your personal conversations.
Just checked. Android list permissions in groups, one of them is Camera/microphone. If you look up Sygic in the play store and scroll to the bottom of the entry you get "permission details". Hit that and it will list them in more detail. The only one under camera/microphone group is "take pictures and videos". So it does not use the microphone at all. If you look through the detailed list they are all what I think they should be, given what the app can do.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks again, I need to learn how to use and add apps to my phone.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well I have gone and done it - pressed the Sygic install button. This modern technology is marvellous, only wish I understood it better.
Thank you everyone for your help

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well I have gone and done it - pressed the Sygic install button. This modern technology is marvellous, only wish I understood it better.
Thank you everyone for your help
You now have about a week to try it out (I think). I think you only get the UK map during that time. To do most things you need to hit the box with three little horizontal lines - normally bottom right of the screen. Then you can explore the menus - lots to play with there. You can make an in-app purchase of maps via your play store account by choosing either Sygic Store or settings > manage maps. Good luck and have fun

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back