Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Hi all

We are going to take our first ever trip out in our MH this weekend and were planning on just going to Billing Aquadrome for a night to just learn all the basics of the new van and get used to how it works.

Trouble is that im pretty sure its a 2 night minimum stay at Billings and although this wouldnt normally be a problem (dont want to miss my fishing match on Sunday!) we only want to stay for 1 night.

Basically im now after any recommendations for a nice open all year campsite not too far from Leicester ??

Thanks in advance

Rob

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
I would never go back to billing, expensive, and full of the
"do as you likey" ( rhyming slang )travelling types.
Make sure you lock everything and chain it down.

Why not try
http://www.bosworthwatertrust.co.uk/stay-with-us
On our list of next year tries

Or kingsbury water park
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Rob could be you last trip going there, :eek: when we went bikes satellite dish and almost a motorhome went missing. :rolleyes:
If you only want one night, and could manage without electric I would say Lakeland Estates Lyndon Top Rutland Water.

Its down the lane before the nature reserve on the right top of the hill. £7.00 a night. Water and dump.
(y) Bob.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Billings gone downhill then i take it ???

Not been for a few years

We are going to book Bosworth tomorrow morning unless we get any better suggestions before i go to bed..lol

Thanks

Rob

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above - avoid Billing unless you want to be put off for life. Stuff has legs there.

All the best - this site just saved you a lot more than the subscription! (y)

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Rob could be you last trip going there, :eek: when we went bikes satellite dish and almost a motorhome went missing. :rolleyes:
If you only want one night, and could manage without electric I would say Lakeland Estates Lyndon Top Rutland Water.

Its down the lane before the nature reserve on the right top of the hill. £7.00 a night. Water and dump.
(y) Bob.
The same sentiments as Bob and Janie here. We were on that meet too, and won't ever go back to Billing Aquadrome. There is a traveller's site very close to it. :(

Good luck,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Going to Tallington Lakes near Peterborough now for first trip to get to grips with everything.

Fingers crossed !!

Rob

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Rob, I think you've done the right thing. Tallington is a nice site, you could also try Rutland CC site which is I think at Essindine. (y)

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Going to Tallington Lakes near Peterborough now for first trip to get to grips with everything.

Fingers crossed !!

Rob
About 3 x miles from us Rob, so any problems, just PM with your phone number and we'll take it from there. (y) We are at home this weekend. :)

Have a good first trip out (shake down).

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User

Fingers crossed !!

Rob
Tight lines Rob!
I'm a match fisherman too. We are off to Devizes in Wiltshire next Wednesday for a few days at the CC&C site next to the Kennet and Avon Canal. I'm planning to dangle my tackle! :D:D(y)(y)

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Rob, I think you've done the right thing. Tallington is a nice site, you could also try Rutland CC site which is I think at Essindine. (y)
Hi David, isn't that in Greetham just off the A1, rather than Essendine which is further east past Stamford?

A nice little site is the one opposite the Rutland Water Sailing Club, at Edith Weston. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Tallington was great

Nice big pitch..friendly staff...nice pint and bite to eat after our late arrival....

MH was great apart from the bloody lights (well all 12v!!)

Got to pitch , connected hook up all was good. All sockets , fridge etc worked apart from the lights and water pump!!

Now this is almost certainly something im doing wrong but i just dont understand it?? I would have thought that everything in the van would work once plugged into main site electric??

On the control panel in the van it just indicated that the leisure battery had no charge (was two thirds charged before we set off) People have said about switches for this that and the other but i cant find anything in the manual or by looking around. Fuses were all ok.

Anybody have any suggestions for a auto electrician to sort it out or is it just me being daft ??

Cheers all

Rob

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Glad you enjoyed your first night..
Water pump often has its own switch.. Maybe on control panel?
Your battery may need testing and could need replacing if it's been left flat for a period..
12v lights should have worked before being plugged in?
A quick Google search produced this
http://www.neilthecaravanmedic.co.uk/caravanservicing.aspx

But others may know better local electricians

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You could try giving Mark at CLS a ring - Central Leisure Services - he may well have some ideas of either what it is or who to contact - or being based in Nuneaton isn't too far away to come out to you - although he is busy, but it's still worth ringing him to pick his brains.

He is a member and comes rallying with Fun, plus he's a trade member here too which means we get a discount !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Just carried out a few checks with multi meter so here goes hopefully someone can advise further

Leisure battery on charge in garage 13V

Once charged 12V

Connected in MH with one light on 11V

In MH with engine running 12 - 13V

In MH with EHU plugged in and one light on 11V

Panel showing 220 going in and also battery charge indicator showing power going to battery

How does this all sound please?

Thanks for taking time to read

Rob

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
So did you get your lights working then Rob? looks like you need a new battery to me:whistle:, but then I'm no expert:confused:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
How does this all sound please?
Sounds to me Rob, like your battery is shot, and not taking nor holding a charge. A reading of 12.7v when off charge for an hour or more, indicates a fully charged battery.
The reading you are getting whilst on charge, is from the charger/alternator, and not the battery's holding charge.

Time to open you wallet, and if you've got the room, add another of the same size and capacity. ;) I can recommend Tayna Batteries for good prices and quick delivery, having used them myself.

They reckon that these Bosch S5 and Varta Silver batteries (both exactly the same) make much better leisure batteries than those which we are all used to. See this very interesting article.......http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am in the 'non expert' camp as well I am afraid, but I would have expected the charger to give enough output to run a few things even without a battery, so that might be the weak link, bit possibly a failed charger could have caused the leisure battery to fail as well

Good luck, both relatively simple jobs (low valueish at least, even if you get them done for you)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Cheers for the replies

Leisure and van battery were only fitted in May this year?

Previous owner told me this and they have both been date stamped?

Have been in touch with Neil the caravan medic who can hopefully cast a light as to what it is. Trouble is though its a minimum 55 quid for him to come out!

Rob

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
It is not recommended to use the charging system without a battery in place, but if you disconnect the battery, and take a reading from the charging terminals whilst the charger is on, what reading do you get then?
I can't see the charger being the problem, because you have also had a reading of 13v when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. Again, take a reading at the charging terminals with the engine running and with the battery disconnected. That should give a reading nearer to 14.4v . Taking a reading whilst the battery is still connected to the charging terminals, won't give you a true reading of the battery voltage, and if the battery is shot, ie, not taking a charge, both the onboard charger and the alternator will be working overtime anyway.

A reading of 12v indicates that the battery is only 25% charged. My money is on a duff battery, however, we need to know why a relatively new leisure battery has failed.

State of Charge Specific Gravity Voltage
12V
100% 1.265 12.7
75% 1.225 12.4
50% 1.190 12.2
25% 1.155 12.0

Discharged 1.120 11.9

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Hi Jock

This is just confusing me even more now !! LOL

Tried what you said and got no reading on leads whilst battery disconnected with engine running and with EHU??

Dont get it at all

Cheers

Rob

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Charger may not provide a charge when the battery is not connected. Similarly if the battery is fully charged or near fully charged may not give full power depending on how smart the chager is.

How long has it been plugged in on ehu. I thought mine was shot (reading 6v) but left it on ehu outside while I waited for the new one to arrive. When the new one did arrive after a week I went and did some jobs out there using my inverter tI charge my drill battery and having all the lights on and running the water pump from time to time only to realise I had unplugged the van when I moved it and forgot to plug it back in... The new battery is now sat on my sideboard while I work out whether to keep it at home as a spare, take it in the van as a spare, hook it up to give me double the life or send it back...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back