Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
im looking to get my first motorhome . I have seen some Hymers in Germany that look just the job. The one I'm looking at would be a 1995 model but I'm told they are a nightmare to import as it will not have a certificate of conformity. Has any one come across this that could point me in the right direction, or should I steer clear of importing one.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No problem whatsoever importing into the UK from anywhere in Europe. As long as its over 10 years old there will be no VAT to pay. I have brought more in than I remember, the last one last year which was on the road and UK registered within a week of coming into the UK. Go for it and save yourself some money.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
im looking to get my first motorhome . I have seen some Hymers in Germany that look just the job. The one I'm looking at would be a 1995 model but I'm told they are a nightmare to import as it will not have a certificate of conformity. Has any one come across this that could point me in the right direction, or should I steer clear of importing one.

Unless its a late model it'll be costly to import as it will have to be scrutinized by an engineer before being given a cert assuming it does get a cert. Winters coming so there will be plenty of bargains about in the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Unless its a late model it'll be costly to import as it will have to be scrutinized by an engineer before being given a cert assuming it does get a cert. Winters coming so there will be plenty of bargains about in the UK
Who told you that ?.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a few I have brought in.
Disney 20010 003_2.jpg
Morocco 011.jpg
RMB 021.JPG
Dehler Profi 001.JPG
Winter 2014 003.JPG

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Frankie had no problem getting a certificate of conformity for her old Hymer both from Hymer in Germany and Hymer in France. (Had to pay mind you).

When I imported my Portuguese Iveco into the UK as a campervan, they didn't even need a certificate. Don't know if that has changed now though.

Dave (Snowbird) knows as he has ACTUALLY done it at least twice recently.

JJ :cool:

Deleted User
I have imported from Japan and as long as it is over 10 years old then all it needs is rear fog light fitted, speedo conversion, mot and then it can be registered. Also it is classed as PLG for taxation purposes and this is a lot less than been taxed on co2 emissions.
Don't know if importing from Europe is any different but the DVLA produce guidelines to advice on what is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Just make sure it has EU conformity certicate, fit temporary no plates and buy your transit insurance. When you get home change the high intensity rear light or fit another, adjust the head light dip and then take it to at test station for mot make sure you fill out the correct import forms and then deal with Swansea

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
If you don't want the hassle contact Bundesvan. We've just bought an imported Hymer from them and it was very straightforward. Costs a bit more than doing it yourself. Ours had already been brought over but I believe they will source one for you and do all the necessary.

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Thanks for the input on this.Bundesvan told me it would be possible to import a 1995 model but would be a real pain in the rear and could take months to do all the paperwork.They advised me not to bother doing it and look on a certain auction site

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for the input on this.Bundesvan told me it would be possible to import a 1995 model but would be a real pain in the rear and could take months to do all the paperwork.They advised me not to bother doing it and look on a certain auction site
They are blagging you pal. Read my posts, have brought loads of vans in over 10 years old and had them on the road within a week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back