Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
I am sure you are all aware but in Scotland they are reducing the drink drive limit from 80mg per 100 ml to 50 mg per 100 ml from early December. This means that even 1 pint of beer or a glass of wine could put you over the limit, also be especially careful when driving the next morning after a night on the bevvie. Police Scotland have stated they will be putting extra patrols on the road to catch those over the limit including extra patrols in the morning.
Whilst virtually everyone welcomes this reduction there is an argument over whether the penalty for being between 50 and 80 mg should be reduced to 6 month ban rather than 12 months.
Best bet if you are driving - don't drink

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
People should also take care not to drink too much when riding s bike too. Apparently in Germany it is offence to ride a bike 'over the limit' and I read that you can arrive home to find that your driving lisence has been taken away

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
People should also take care not to drink too much when riding s bike too. Apparently in Germany it is offence to ride a bike 'over the limit' and I read that you can arrive home to find that your driving lisence has been taken away
My brother was cautioned by the police in Windermere, for walking home from the pub, wheeling his bike

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mmmm!..

I can remember when.....

Oh!.. and in Norfolk... it's still a common practice ... or at least it still was when I moved Nth - back to my hometown... in 2010...

different views eh!?..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Got breathalysed twice on Saturday ( Suffolk police, then Essex police as it was 100 yards into Essex) after a bit of a collision - (someone hit me), big fat zero both times of course. Standard practice with any RTA and quite right too. The copper said it was still surprising how many people blew over even at that time of the morning.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My ex dinghy crew lives in Belgium and stupidly rode home on his bike after a raucous party - front wheel caught in tram track and a high side resulting in a face plant of the cobblestones. He said he didn't know what was more humilitating - turning up at the office the following day looking very secondhand and minus a few teeth, or the coppers laughing when they loaded him into the ambulance

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Same in France.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It could well be the same here as using a mobile on a bike is the same offence as using it in a car.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am sure you are all aware but in Scotland they are reducing the drink drive limit from 80mg per 100 ml to 50 mg per 100 ml from early December. This means that even 1 pint of beer or a glass of wine could put you over the limit, also be especially careful when driving the next morning after a night on the bevvie. Police Scotland have stated they will be putting extra patrols on the road to catch those over the limit including extra patrols in the morning.
Whilst virtually everyone welcomes this reduction there is an argument over whether the penalty for being between 50 and 80 mg should be reduced to 6 month ban rather than 12 months.
Best bet if you are driving - don't drink

Thanks John & Sue for highlighting this and reminding everyone both North and South of the border(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not wishing to doubt OP, but can we really have different laws north and south of the border?

Also, highly recommend the Alcosense portable breath tester, about ÂŁ60 well spent IMO) bought one myself following thread on here last month, I don't drink and drive other than the odd half pint or shandy, but the morning after is a significant risk

Embarrassed to say I have failed once already in one month of ownership, my own test that is, I didn't drive and get caught, really didn't think I have drunk that much. That's the trouble with pouring your own shorts

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I remember one of our school teachers being fined for drunk in charge of a bike. That was in the 1960s.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I remember one of our school teachers being fined for drunk in charge of a bike. That was in the 1960s.
I certainly was not that teacher, but had a caution for the same offence in my youth, only because I was pushing it at the time and not attempting to ride it. I was pushing it only because I had fallen off the damned thing twice.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
can we really have different laws north and south of the border?

Yes sir. HSE officer (ex-cop) at work is running an awareness meeting tomorrow to remind everyone of the change.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I certainly was not that teacher, but had a caution for the same offence in my youth, only because I was pushing it at the time and not attempting to ride it. I was pushing it only because I had fallen off the damned thing twice.
Seem to recall a certain Welsh rugby player got nicked for being drunk in charge of a golf buggy. Muppet

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I only ever have 5 pints if driving.

Maybe couple more if it's a nice evening in a beer garden.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I only ever have 5 pints if driving.

Maybe couple more if it's a nice evening in a beer garden.

How do you manage to stay on your bike after all those pints.....

......of 7-up:whistle:

Must be those new stabilisers plus the packet of crisps;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not wishing to doubt OP, but can we really have different laws north and south of the border?
There are quite a few differences between Scots and English law and always have been. In some cases (FoIA for instance) there are different (though logically similar) Acts for different parts of the UK.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Yip, different laws. My son can only practise law in Scotland with his current qualification. He would need another year of further education in English law to practise i.e. he needs to do a conversion course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back