Kids Skiing (2 Viewers)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok the alps are out things are still a bit tight for us but the letter to Santa I managed to steam it open,
skis's along with a million other things
now this is the thing how do you get the right size skis
and type for him he will only get this winter out of them and grown out of them so don't want to spend to much
bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bill we have only been skiing once so no experts, why not look into taking him somewhere like an indoor ski place. I don't know your area so not 100% sure but do they not have one near the Trafford center, this will let you know if he likes it and can ask the instructor about size.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Bit of a false economy that - better to hire when needed unless you have a pair to last a good few years and do a lot of skiing. Need edging and waxing every season and most airlines charge to take them if you fly.

Consider a pair of blades - good for all ages and easier to cart about! Will last years as long as they have adjustable bindings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill we have only been skiing once so no experts, why not look into taking him somewhere like an indoor ski place. I don't know your area so not 100% sure but do they not have one near the Trafford center, this will let you know if he likes it and can ask the instructor about size.
there is the escape but expensive :Eeek: scary expensive even for one hr
a trip to the alps would be cheaper I her
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bit of a false economy that - better to hire when needed unless you have a pair to last a good few years and do a lot of skiing. Need edging and waxing every season and most airlines charge to take them if you fly.

Consider a pair of blades - good for all ages and easier to cart about! Will last years as long as they have adjustable bindings.
so how do I know blades for all ages I will have to get some to
wont be flying any where Scotland will be it and maybe the local pit tip
or hill

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wouldn't get skis .... he would need lessons to make the most of them and grow out of them before too long. If the weather is likely to allow skiing (which is not often) get a sledge; lots of fun and more usable.

Ps. It is not just the skis that you would need to buy, you would need bindings and boots at least. Then there is the helmet and goggles (Aldi do both) and then the salopetts etc. It is an expensive hobby and made worse by the fact that kids grow out of the stuff so quickly. A lesson at a dry slope or indoor slope would be the best place to start before even thinking of buying anything.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i
I wouldn't get skis .... he would need lessons to make the most of them and grow out of them before too long. If the weather is likely to allow skiing (which is not often) get a sledge; lots of fun and more usable.

Ps. It is not just the skis that you would need to buy, you would need bindings and boots at least. Then there is the helmet and goggles (Aldi do both) and then the salopetts etc. It is an expensive hobby and made worse by the fact that kids grow out of the stuff so quickly. A lesson at a dry slope or indoor slope would be the best place to start before even thinking of buying anything.
thanks for the info think I will change his mind on that one
bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Contrary to the advice above, we bought skis for our Niece and Nephew.
They are now on their 3rd season with growing room left. It works out at £33 per kid per year. Cheaper than hire!
Things to look for-

Firstly they need to be a recent design. Lots of side cut and possibly some rocker too. It makes the skis turn like shorter ones but with sufficient length for more control as speed increases.
Secondly, Jays feet will grow faster than his height and therefore ski length. Fast track or rental bindings are a must.
Thirdly, once you have bought your (ex-rental, hint hint!) Skis from eBay and found him some comfy boots, make sure you have the DIN settings on the bindings correctly set for Jays weight, foot size and ability.
There are charts on the internet for this.

Lastly, get yourself some too!!!!!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I
They are now on their 3rd season with growing room left. It works out at £33 per kid per year. Cheaper than hire!
Things to look for-

Firstly they need to be a recent design. Lots of side cut and possibly some rocker too. It makes the skis turn like shorter ones but with sufficient length for more control as speed increases.
Secondly, Jays feet will grow faster than his height and therefore ski length. Fast track or rental bindings are a must.
Thirdly, once you have bought your (ex-rental, hint hint!) Skis from eBay and found him some comfy boots, make sure you have the DIN settings on the bindings correctly set for Jays weight, foot size and ability.

intend to get sum to john haven't skied in thirty years will send you his hight in CM so you can tel me watt is best for him

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For a beginner, measure to his chin. He should get another 2 seasons before he needs longer.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Things to look for-

sumthing like these john
Broken Link Removed

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Things to look for-

Good info but more appropriate if the lad is going to ski regularly. If there is plenty of money to spend on lessons and equipment, go for it. If not, and if the lad hasn't skied before, it could be an expensive trip to the local slopes when it does snow.

One week's skiing in the French Alps costs us as much as 3 weeks summer holiday in France (around £1500 for 3 people)(and we do it cheap).

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Good info but more appropriate if the lad is going to ski regularly. If there is plenty of money to spend on lessons and equipment, go for it. If not, and if the lad hasn't skied before, it could be an expensive trip to the local slopes when it does snow.

One week's skiing in the French Alps costs us as much as 3 weeks summer holiday in France (around £1500 for 3 people)(and we do it cheap).
thanks for the information bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
sumthing like these john
Broken Link Removed

Yep!

As for boots, there are always lots of s/h kids boots on EBay at this time of year.
We buy from private sellers who's kids have grown out of them rather than ex hire.
Hire boots get lots of use and the padding inside becomes packed down making them loose and uncomfortable.
Hope this helps if you still plan to buy rather than hire.

If you plan to do a few weeks per season in Scotland, buying might be more economical than hiring. We have never had a problem selling outgrown boots onwards on EBay.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bill Xscape may be expensive but it could end up being the cheap option. You could take him to Glencoe for the weekend we did that in Febuary and will go again next year. If I remember correctly it cost us £50 each that was for two and half hour lesson plus ski and equipment, also included lift passes. If you book a lesson for first thing then you get the skis for the ret of the day.
Still works out more than Xscape

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Do not buy S/H boots! They must be sized & fitted correctly or they will be very uncomfortable & possibly dangerous in a fall, My kids have ski'd since they were about 8, we took them at least once & normally twice a year & did not buy them boots or skis until they were about 18, hiring is a much better bet.
Obviously this is only my opinion :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hire boots are generally knackered! Our first ski trip resulted in two kids with sore feet!
We buy secondhand boots for the kids which have had little use. We sell them on once they are too small.

Quality s/h is best for those on a budget.
Setting bindings correctly isnt rocket science despite the silly legal disclaimers you sign at the ski shop.
There are lots of DIN calculators online.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I would say it's a complete waste of time and money going on any ski trip if you've never even tried to wear skis and boots. Is there a dry slope anywhere near you Bill ? Book a few lessons there, you can do it in jeans and an anorak and they'll provide everything else. Will be cheaper than Chillfactore or Xscape and once you've learned on a dry slope, you can ski on anything :D

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
I would echo Jon's words, we as a family raid Ebay for our ski equipment and there can be good savings made,some stuff,boots and skis have only done one holiday so they are virtually new.
There are Din setting apps for Apple or Android and adjusted simply using a screw driver.
Keep an eye on the weather if plenty of snow arrives in Scotland you could have a fantastic few days up Glencoe, we might even head up there ourselves.(y)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would say it's a complete waste of time and money going on any ski trip if you've never even tried to wear skis and boots. Is there a dry slope anywhere near you Bill ? Book a few lessons there, you can do it in jeans and an anorak and they'll provide everything else. Will be cheaper than Chillfactore or Xscape and once you've learned on a dry slope, you can ski on anything :D
I have ski be it many years ago it probably is not going to happen any time soon as plans have now changed
so this thred is now closed for time being
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back