Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I quite often tour together with my parents in out vans and we have discussed if Walkie Talkies would be useful for communication, I think they would work while parked but I am not sure if they would work while we were following each other, would the engine interfere with the signal. Has anybody tried.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Use them bike to bike and for the most part they work fine, see no reason why they shouldn't be ok in mh.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I used walkie talkies with another couple in a car in Florida about 10 years ago, the only issue we had was when the distance between cars got too far. The W-Ts nowadays have 5 mile distance, digital channels etc so probably a lot better. On another thread somebody said they use theirs between husband and wife when reversing the MH, which I thought was a good idea and what I will do when I buy a MH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Have used them to keep tabs on grandchildren when out playing on caravan park and used them when following friends in motorhome, no problem if the distance isn't to great.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
They're OK for a couple of kilometres providing there are no mountains in between. Handheld communicators have rather weak output. The engine should be OK but the bodywork could reduce the range.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Yes used them this year when daughter and son-in-law +granddaughters were over from Australia and hired a m-home were really usefull when we all did a trip to Wales made conyoy driving much easier. Martin

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We used them a lot in Morocco , got them from Lidl,s £25 ,worked ok for us in convoy and when in the soukes to find each other ,
Chanell number 5 is what the 2013 /2014 Funster trip used then we could call any time to each other also to ask if anyone was in the area or on a campsite when we arrived ,
just dont use them in front of the Police ..

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We use them with great success with a couple we travel with. The only problem we encounter is in the larger towns you get a bit of interference from other people using them on building sites and the like. Over all we found them very useful.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Yes they are very handy. We use them all the time when 3 of us are in convoy. However as mentioned previously the range they cover when being used inside a MH is significantly less than the stated distance.
I have been assured that 2 way radios can be used whilst driving and are not subject to the same regulations as mobile phones.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We use them all the time and I think they are great.

The best bit is when you are tuned into the same channel as other (unconnected) people so they can hear your conversations and vice versa.
I was in a grumpy mood stuck in traffic on the Pont De Normandie in the Summer and said something derogatory about the French drivers to my brother who was travelling separately

Next thing a very posh sounding English lady came on air and said " Oh Dear Darling, I think its time we switched to Channel 2".

:)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use them for lots of activities, including our mh trips. Cobra models seem reliable and pretty well designed. Go for ones with the longest range but do not expect to get anywhere near the published range - ours are supposed to have a range of 8km but even on a flat beach, we haven't managed 1km.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Same as suggy
But if before you buy Google PMR 446 tweaks you can find certain models you can easily
Tweak to get more power for extra range and extra channels

you need the intek 5050, great bits of kit, I bought 6 the year befor last for a long road trip with my daughters and sons in law, we had three units on the road, good contact on motorways probibly up to 5 miles in open county less were hilly or in town. But well recomended if a tad expensive. I might consider selling a couple if the price was right

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Tweak to get more power for extra range and extra channels

The Intec 5050 is an excellent unit and very easy to tweek. The extra channels are great, but the extra power is not worth a jot. Remember, it's logarithmic, so 40w is twice 4w, and tweeking usually will only get you up to 10w at best. Also watch your batteries drain away with extra power.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use them "in convey" for the lead van to spot laybyes for brew stops. The licence free pmr sets are not intended for long distance. If you mess with power or deviation the only thing you will gain is less battery life as SuperMike says(apart from breaking the law that is)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used walkie talkies with another couple in a car in Florida about 10 years ago, the only issue we had was when the distance between cars got too far. The W-Ts nowadays have 5 mile distance, digital channels etc so probably a lot better. On another thread somebody said they use theirs between husband and wife when reversing the MH, which I thought was a good idea and what I will do when I buy a MH

Unsure where you got the idea wt of today have such a range.. but sorry to say unless you are using equipment you need licences for ( or either have a commercial use licence or pass exams ) the most you can reasonably expect to get from a pair of 446PMR radios would be maybe a kilometre in perfect conditions, but more likely about 500 metres

They have a maximum output ( ERP ) or 500mW..
To put that in to context for those who have used a CB radio.. A CB puts out 4 watts.. Yes, there are loads of stories of amazingly long distance contacts but take away all the odd things and the average for a decent CB set up is 4 or 5 miles and THAT is on a decent external antenna.
446PMR hand helds are more usually used with their own antenna built on to the side of the radio and is far from efficient !

If you wish taking a fairly big chance and use something illegal then look at what Kenwood, Icom and a couple of other mainstream manufacturers offer .. They do 5w output devices designed for commercial or amateur radio use ( licenses required ) but can be programmed with the 446PMR channels etc

OK, all that said, we used a pair of cheapy ( they were just old tat, one off of fleabay was £4 and the other from a local boot sale for £2.00 but as all units have to conform to the same minimum spec it makes no odds really ) hand helds during the summer while touring with Nemo and Zoe around Europe
In general they did a spiffing job and kept us in contact with each other 80% of the time

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We could get a general frequency license registered to funsters
If I remember correctly
16 channels VHF or UHF for about £30 and 3 years
Could be handy now considering size of rally's for Marsheling
I think I have some UHF motorola and icons knocking round I would give to Jim for events

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We could get a general frequency license registered to funsters
If I remember correctly
16 channels VHF or UHF for about £30 and 3 years
Could be handy now considering size of rally's for Marsheling
I think I have some UHF motorola and icons knocking round I would give to Jim for events

Seriously good idea that !!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a pair a couple of years ago, but somehow they didn't work properly. When I talked to my wife, even over a short distance, she didn't seem to hear me, however, when she shouted at me, I could hear her without the use of the radio. :( Eventually, we gave up on them, and went back to the simple whistle commands that she uses to either get my attention, tell me to lie and wait, or run in a big circle. (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If of interest I have two Intek MT 5050 which I bought new April last year and have not used but have kept batteries charged.
In boxes with mains chargers and instructions.
I am asking £95 the pair incl postage.

(y):rolleyes:

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We used them on a trip to France with another couple and they worked fine as long as we stayed close, the best bit was the kids playing eye spy from different Motorhomes kept them amused for hours.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
If of interest I have two Intek MT 5050 which I bought new April last year and have not used but have kept batteries charged.
In boxes with mains chargers and instructions.
I am asking £85 the pair incl postage.

Thats a really good price for two radios. They sell for a lot more on feabay

OP
OP
whereru

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks for all the info, I will have to investigate the best for my needs. Are there any traders I can go to, the internet is great for price if you know what you want but I prefer face to face if it's something im unfamiliar with.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We use handhelds for reversing. I get out and direct Gwen (she does all the driving) and it's helped us get into some quite tight parking spots and out of a few tricky situations.
Also used them the last couple of years in Morocco in convoy and we do seem to get a far greater range than Jaws is suggesting.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you are using legal units Mike then they will have 500mW output and no matter what, 'ye canna change the laws of physics cap'n !'
Mind you, is Morocco nice and flat ?
A signal with nowt to stop it such as buildings, bends and hills will travel quite a long way !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Which is actually pretty darned good going to be fair.. Conditions must have been quite favourable (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back