"Another" New puter... which is best.. (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Going to treat myself to one of them Pill puters...

Bloke who came to sort all the others out recommended a "Nexus" I think...

Looking at PC world there are two types a Nexus Windows 7 & an Android..

And in lay-mans terms what is the difference...

Which is the best ?????????? I want a 10" or 12" screen with a removable Keyboard...

Any suggestions, please..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Too much choice now Mo , I have an HP 14" i5 windows 7 which is quick but I also like my mini I pad , more convenient to carry with me. I do use both, gives me a headache, decisions :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Did you mean Nexus or Asus Mo?

Looking at PC World on-line they list five Nexus tablets, all of which run on Android and none of which have a separate keyboard. No doubt it is possible to find a compatible Bluetooth keyboard for use with the tablets. They have a couple of small screen Asus Transformer machines, one of which runs Android and one of which runs Windows plus five Asus tablets which (like the Nexus ones) run Android but have no keyboard. They are all low on storage capacity (no hard drive I think).

It all depends what software you want. If Android apps give you all you need then any of the Android machines should do the job.

If you want to retain usage of the Windows stuff that you've been using on previous machines, though, then only the one Transformer will do. If that were the case though I should be also looking at the small screen devices listed as 2 in 1 laptops. They have 3 with 11.6 inch screens and 10 with 13.3 inch screens - and all are proper machines with hard drives.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for that info Graham.... (y)

I thought I had read some where you could get a tablet that is and does the same as a "Laptop",, with a 10 or 12 inch screen, but also take good photo`s/Video`s and if you cannot get on with touch screen (Which I can`t, builders fingers, Fat),,,, you can attach a keyboard to and use as a normal computer..

Or have I read wrong..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I thought I had read some where you could get a tablet that is and does the same as a "Laptop",, with a 10 or 12 inch screen, but also take good photo`s/Video`s and if you cannot get on with touch screen (Which I can`t, builders fingers, Fat),,,, you can attach a keyboard to and use as a normal computer..

Or have I read wrong..
Here you go Mo cant get better than this. Keyboard, windows 8+ light fast with a fantastic screen. (y)http://www.johnlewis.com/microsoft-...d=402x33637&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=233928794

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I tried a removable keyboard for my 7" Nexus and didn't find it gave me anything special. I now use the Swiftkey keyboard (as recommended here) which is a replacement for the on board screen keyboard which comes with Android but is much better after a short learning curve.

My advice would be to try a 10" Nexus, the new ones have one of the best screens you can get I believe and give the screen keyboard a decent trial, giving you the time to adapt to it. For less than a quarter of the price of the Microsoft tablet it is very good value. It also has front facing speakers which are good if you want to watch videos or TV. See the first review here - from an 85 year old!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Or have I read wrong..
If a tablet has Bluetooth capability then it should be able to be used with a Bluetooth keyboard. That applies whatever the operating system. However, Android tablets may not have the same software capabilities as Windows ones (depending on what programs you want to run).

The Microsoft Surface machines, such as the one Buttons posted, can also use the proprietary Surface keyboard (as shown on the RHS of Buttons' link). Whilst it has front and rear webcams I don't know if the are capable of taking good photos/videos. Expensive compared to 2 in 1 laptops of similar capability as well.

What we normally do is go into PC World and play with what is on display plus ask the sales people questions about what each machine can do and the differences between them.

The answer may be two machines - a relatively cheap Android tablet to take the photos/videos and a laptop for other jobs (to which photos/videos could be transferred using Bluetooth; if a laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, USB dongles are very cheap).

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for your help... (y)

Bought an "Asus" Transformer Book... T100T..

And they threw in a bag, Blue tooth Mousey, and the Mcfee thing you have to have, cos it wont accept Norton anti virus..

Just got to figure out how to drive it..... if I cant she can have it as an early xmas pressie.. (y)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
My wife bought the Asus Transformer about a month ago and loves it.
She hasn't touched the full sized laptop or her ebook reader since.
It is used just about every day as she is writing a lot and the battery seems to last forever!
I'm even toying with the idea of buying myself one - a great little piece of kit :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think people who take photographs with a 10"+ tablet do look a bit strange. However I see there is now a giant iPhone, funny how since the mobile phone was invented they have been making them smaller, now there's one with a selling point that it's too big to go in your pocket.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Bought an "Asus" Transformer Book... T100T.. (As said yester day or the day before)

Before I sling it in the bin or give it to the misses as an early xmas pressie.. :(

Can some one especially (Thehutchies).. who I understand has the same one. please tell me...

How do you take a photo ?? I can hold the puter up and take a photo..... but.... they are all selfies...:mad:

I cannot see a lens in or on the other side, which is what you would expect...

The only way I can take a photo other than of myself is to hold the puter above my head and have my back to the subject I want to take a photo of.. and press the take button on the screen...

Is there a way of holding the puter in front of me and seeing in front of me what I want to take..

Hard to explain..

"HELP"... (y)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
if its photos you want Mo ive got a box brownie you can borrow if you like ;):whistle:
brian

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Bought an "Asus" Transformer Book... T100T.. (As said yester day or the day before)

Before I sling it in the bin or give it to the misses as an early xmas pressie.. :(

Can some one especially (Thehutchies).. who I understand has the same one. please tell me...

How do you take a photo ?? I can hold the puter up and take a photo..... but.... they are all selfies...:mad:

I cannot see a lens in or on the other side, which is what you would expect...

The only way I can take a photo other than of myself is to hold the puter above my head and have my back to the subject I want to take a photo of.. and press the take button on the screen...

Is there a way of holding the puter in front of me and seeing in front of me what I want to take..

Hard to explain..

"HELP"... (y)

Like most laptops, they only have one camera, facing you, for Skype/ video calling.
They don't have a forward facing lens to use like a traditional camera.

Some, like the Microdoft Surface do have two cameras but are much more expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Like most laptops, they only have one camera, facing you, for Skype/ video calling.
They don't have a forward facing lens to use like a traditional camera.

Some, like the Microdoft Surface do have two cameras but are much more expensive.

Thanks.(y)

So in other words she will have to stand with her back to the subject to take a photo.. :smiley: looking like a right "nana".. :giggler:

Have to wait till xmas, to see if Santa brings me one of them double len`s thingy`s... :roflmto:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
if its photos you want Mo ive got a box brownie you can borrow if you like ;):whistle:
brian

Your all heart, Brian.. :*:tounge:::bigsmile:

Can I download photo`s to the computer from it.. :winky::giggler:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks.(y)

So in other words she will have to stand with her back to the subject to take a photo.. :smiley: looking like a right "nana".. :giggler:

Have to wait till xmas, to see if Santa brings me one of them double len`s thingy`s... :roflmto:

That's right, unfortunately.
But a cheap pocket camera will take better photographs than any tablet.

Gadgets are always a compromise. :)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
That's right, unfortunately.
But a cheap pocket camera will take better photographs than any tablet.

Gadgets are always a compromise. :)

Thanks, Again............... We have some good quality camera`s.. (y)

But being the "Spoilt" horrible gobby little brat I am... I wanted the all singing all dancing type.. :angel:

I`m sure she will enjoy it... :giggler: :inlove: >:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back