where is the radio aerial on a ci carioca 694 (1 Viewer)

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have tried to trace the ariel for the cab radio and got as far as the cooker after tracing it from the dash to behind the water pump then the waster tank then it goes behind the sink and the cooker and i gave up does anyone know where this ariel goes to i have nothing poking out of the roof or anywhere i can see so now im at a ;loss the radio in the van is extremely limited to its reception in so much as i can only get any stations when near or in a town the radio is a pioneer so should be good and is around 6mths old any ideas before i try to install another Ariel please

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know about your model but believe it or not the airial in most of the fiat based vans is in the PASSANGER MIRROR!!!, crazy and rubbish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx but mine cant be there unless the bloody cable goes all the way around the van i reckon i will be better to stick another ariel on the van

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
thx but mine cant be there unless the bloody cable goes all the way around the van i reckon i will be better to stick another ariel on the van
Stranger things have happened in these vans, can't reverse them drain all over the engine, why do we put up with them(n)

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
what else would we have to moan about :)
car shop tomorrow for a Ariel i reckon :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could be in the mirror but bear in mind, the base vehicle is primarily commercial and it was possibly on the cab roof.
Obviously it can't be there AND the overlap bodywork so converters simply remove the aerial from the roof and don't bother replacing it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

I'd guess that the wires you're tracing to the back could be for speakers or the tv point (even if you haven't got any). Standard place for the Sevel X250 is the nearside mirror. But if it ain't there then you won't be the first to fit an extra aerial.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
its defo the ariel cable not speaker or anything else i have traced it all the way like i said i stopped at the cooker absolute madness just to run it that far :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
its defo the ariel cable not speaker or anything else i have traced it all the way like i said i stopped at the cooker absolute madness just to run it that far :)
I have found with mine if I get a piece of coax and poke it in the airial hole in the back of the radio and just chuck the other end on the floor of the van reception is 10 times better, just give up on it now and just use it for cds

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Don't know about your model but believe it or not the airial in most of the fiat based vans is in the PASSANGER MIRROR!!!, crazy and rubbish

I've got an ariel if you want one for the mirror and we are only up the road, was going to sling it but thought it might come in handy.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx but i reckon i will get 1 attached to the side i am then feed the cable through the cavity :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours seems to be a black box glued to the inside of the windscreen top left n/s and it's crap.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
If it's a coach build why bother with an outside aerial, a length of wire running around the inside of the roof will work unless there is a metalic insulation in the body. If there is try connecting to that.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
ok i will try that

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i found the original ariel after pappajohn said about a roof 1 i decided to check and there was the fitting for a roof ariel but of course the ariel itself had been removed the cable was just tucked down the back of the console i have now attached the ariel with some wire to the metal part of the roof and its a much better signal where the other 1 goes i really dont know and im not taking most of the van apart to find the thing i will buy a small roof ariel and refit it where the original is why they took this 1 away is beyond me it must have been 1 hell of a job to run the new 1

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi i found two ariel connections behind the radio tried both neither work (Fiat Ducato) I looked at fitting one
in the wing but gave up,ended up fitting a flexi rubber ariel laying at the bottom of the window inside
you would not know its there, wire comes out just under clipboard ,it works better but not spot on with all channels.(smooth/radio 2 ok)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The radio on the Boxer is useless too but at least there is an external aerial on the near side pillar. I need to investigate whether it actually connects to the radio.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
anyone tried 1 of these

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
kk thx

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I was told that the black banding inside top of windscreen that runs width of the windscreen was actually the ariel.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle when it comes down to FM reception :(..

This is also only going to get worse as times goes on, as the reception from the transmitters are being gradually faded out to be replaced for DAB+..

We have tried many, many, many aerials over the years, from windscreen, to mirror, to external mounted and the best signal strength came from the mirror mounted aerials..

Mostly you will find that you receive a signal whilst stationary with the engine off, but whilst on the move reception very quickly drops off... Very frustrating !!! :banghead:

Pioneer even install a devise into their headunits that is meant to help towards the problem with reception dropping off when the engine is running.. And this dosent really work!!

Before you spend allot of money on external mounted aerials then yes get a new iPod / CD selection or invest into the future and change your system and install the latest DAB radio.. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle when it comes down to FM reception :(..

This is also only going to get worse as times goes on, as the reception from the transmitters are being gradually faded out to be replaced for DAB+..

We have tried many, many, many aerials over the years, from windscreen, to mirror, to external mounted and the best signal strength came from the mirror mounted aerials..

Mostly you will find that you receive a signal whilst stationary with the engine off, but whilst on the move reception very quickly drops off... Very frustrating !!! :banghead:

Pioneer even install a devise into their headunits that is meant to help towards the problem with reception dropping off when the engine is running.. And this dosent really work!!

Before you spend allot of money on external mounted aerials then yes get a new iPod / CD selection or invest into the future and change your system and install the latest DAB radio.. (y)
Do dab car radios work in France, only ask as we have a dab radio in the house , works perfect, took it to france with us couldn't get a peep out of it anywhere

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Do dab car radios work in France, only ask as we have a dab radio in the house , works perfect, took it to france with us couldn't get a peep out of it anywhere

You will probably find that your radio will only allow you to pick up Band 3. Band 3 is what most DAB radios that are sold in the UK only use.

DAB reception over France has now 62% coverage.. unlike here in the UK, DAB is ahead of schedule!!

To pick up DAB abroad in other countries you need a radio that can also use L band to broadcast as well as our band 3,

Please remember you won't be able to pick up UK stations there.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003

Also we only sell Pioneer systems.. This is because they are European wide products..

This means it will be able to pick up all the standard bands through out Europe.

Also they use DAB+ which is the highest Euro standard..

And also I wouldn't fit anything less in my own motorhome!!! ;)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

So why do the radios in the 2 cars still perform perfectly wherever we are even if it means clicking up to the next pre-tuned signal on Radio 3/4/Classic, oh alright then, Radio 1, whereas that on the motorhome started useless and is still useless?

And another thing, what's happened to eddievanbitz, has there been a takeover? :cautious:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What sort of airial do you need for dab, if it's useing the van one , is it still going to be crap

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
So why do the radios in the 2 cars still perform perfectly wherever we are even if it means clicking up to the next pre-tuned signal on Radio 3/4/Classic, oh alright then, Radio 1, whereas that on the motorhome started useless and is still useless?

And another thing, what's happened to eddievanbitz, has there been a takeover? :cautious:

Ha Ha,,, The mighty Eddievanbitz will always be here to give his opinion!!!

the biggest problem with FM aerials ( I'm assume that's what you are asking about) on a motorhome is that a factory mounted aerial which is attached to factory metal body has been removed when the motorhome build manufacturer comes along and adds there bit (fiberglass) to the back.. and to be honest there isn't a decent aerial which is reliable available on the market as a aftermarket product.. It doesn't matter what grounding plate or booster you add they just don't work!!

Customers with panel van conversations with a factory stereo set up, generally don't have the problems that couchbuilt motorhomes have..

We had a van in one day manufactured by Autotrail and the customer had 12 aerials over a short period of time installed by Autotrail to try and get over his FM reception problem.. nothing solved his problem which is why he decided to invest in a DAB radio..

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
What sort of airial do you need for dab, if it's useing the van one , is it still going to be crap

For DAB+ you need a new aerial..

There are many on the market. We use the standard recommended Pioneer windscreen mounted aerial. that retails around £25.00. We have had back really good feedback..

On my van this is the one I have installed and when I'm in Taunton working the digital strength there is superb but where I live Sussex and also areas where i travel round and work like in kent, you will find there are a few dull spots..

As there are certain areas at the moment that are not as good as others, you can buy external mounted.. there are loads to choose from and they start around £100.00 for a good one. Allot of the websites that sell these aerials also give you a star rating on how good the performance of the aerial will be on reception quality..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back